Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I found another 14 vintage ties this week at the thrifts. Unfortunately, about half are painfully boring '30s brocades, and half are garishly loud '40s-'50s numbers.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
What can I say? It's just frustrating when a thread with probably the most vintage ties in one place on the internet, which has potential to have intelligent, useful conversations about stylistic changes, chronology, dating, label history, company history, etc. turns into this same "boring" vs "loud" opinion conversation every time something gets posted. Joking or not, it's dull, repetitive, and a waste of my time.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
What can I say? It's just frustrating when a thread with probably the most vintage ties in one place on the internet, which has potential to have intelligent, useful conversations about stylistic changes, chronology, dating, label history, company history, etc. turns into this same "boring" vs "loud" opinion conversation every time something gets posted. Joking or not, it's dull, repetitive, and a waste of my time.
Well then can you help me out with the 'Hub' tie I posted last? It has a union label which I know little-to-nothing about. I'd reckon the tie was perhaps later in the era due to its width but the design is still pretty distinct. Late fifties maybe?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I don't think it's an issue DM .....I think we all appreciate all uploaded images, I think part of the 'problem' is that 'show us your ties' is a bit to generic maybe if it were sub divided into sections?....look at the Tootal thread that's in depth and very interesting and well contributed too at least I think it is....personally I don't find the boring V brash anything but lighthearted banter
I for one love seeing your finds as they're always so nicely shot and laid out with some amazing finds.....The banter has in fact helped pique my interest in 'loud' predominantly American ties to an extent that I now own quite a few...I even wear them!
I love brocades too!

Last edited:

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Yes I must admit I forgot myself! I'll post some stuff to it later or tomorrow (if I can find it among the threads!). I might make one for Terylene ties too. Would that me of interest d'you reckon?

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Thanks Dinerman. It's the first union label I've ever come across in my own ties. Are they as common on ties as they are on other garments? We don't really have an equivalent over here.

The pattern is odd really. Not sure what it's meant to be.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Finding union labels like that on neckties is unusual. I've had a couple, but they're few and far between.

And here's the latest batch. I think the most interesting is the early '30s leather one, four down, on the left. Only the third leather tie from that era I've run across, and with a printed pattern, at that.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Finding union labels like that on neckties is unusual. I've had a couple, but they're few and far between.

And here's the latest batch. I think the most interesting is the early '30s leather one, four down, on the left. Only the third leather tie from that era I've run across, and with a printed pattern, at that.

Interesting.

Some lovely ones there. I was going to ask whether a leather tie 'ties' well - but I can see it's a clip. I've always avoided leather ties, partly because they are usually from a later era, and secondly because I just find them a little weird! I've only got one - my cousin gave it me. It's a super skinny one, with the Beatles printed on it!

I especially like the centre bottom, the rainbow Wembley and the top-centre Botany. Great colours. It's strange the difference between the American and British construction of ties in that era. Is there some reason other than style that the American ties were constructed in that asymmetrical pattern? Was it, indeed, more 'Resilient'?

Also, d'you reckon you could date that 'Studebaker' down to which car it might be referring to? In fact, is it embroidered after it was manufactured i.e. an affectionate wife/mother has put it on a husband/son's tie as a gift?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman: any chance of a closer look at the fourth down on the right hand side? I'd be interested to see more of the colour and design.

I think I've got a version of that grren striped Botany tie but in red.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The other two I have do tie like a regular tie, but they tie an absolutely terrible knot. They're fairly thick deerskin, and just very clunky. The pre-tied one here is fairly thick, too, but is constructed such that the blade, the knot and the neck tabs are all separate, stitched together pieces. By the '80s when that came back into style, companies had generally switched to that paper thin lambskin, which tied better.

The Studebaker is late '30s-early '40s. It was chainstitched after the tie was tipped, but it appears before it was folded and finished. Probably done as a small run for dealers.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I might make one for Terylene ties too. Would that me of interest d'you reckon?

I'm sure myself and Esteban would be interested, not sure how many otheres would be. Then again, it's worth remembering that the forum is viewed by many more people than actually post. So it would be a resource for them. Personally, I've got rid of most of my 1950s Terylene ties in order to concentrate on Tootal. But the fifties ones are actually constructed in the same way as other ties and are just as accurate representations of the era as anything else(if the era you like is small town mid 1950s England!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe