Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What's scary is that I've got in the vicinity of 120 wild 1940's ties (and about five or six 1930's ones that the good Baron would approve of :D ), hanging on a series of tie racks in no particular order, and yet whenever I want to find one particular tie, I know exactly which rung of which rack to go to.

I can hear my wife saying the word 'obssessed' over and over again for some reason!lol But at least she says it with humour!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
has anyone noticed how few GREY themed vintage ties there are ? i was putting together a monochrome outfit and looked in my tie box (actually a suitcase) and lo ! there were none.
i think 3-tone diagonal stripes would look cool. any thoughts as to the lack of ? was the tie the one area of a man's outfit that simply demanded to be in colour ?

herringbonekid said:
has anyone noticed how few GREY themed vintage ties there are ? i was putting together a monochrome outfit and looked in my tie box (actually a suitcase) and lo ! there were none.
i think 3-tone diagonal stripes would look cool. any thoughts as to the lack of ? was the tie the one area of a man's outfit that simply demanded to be in colour ?

Ain't that the truth! Well, yes. Don't quite know why i sound irritated that there're no mainly grey ties in my tie boxes. I've never even thought about it before.

I have one tie that has grey in it. And it has a totally crazy pattern in yellow and red intermingled wit the grey so it can't really be considered grey themed. A cool tie, and one of my favourites.

I guess the only grey themed (ie mostly grey) tie i've seen is a grey/white Macclesfield.

bk

Barry

Practically Family
red tie

69_12.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
herringbonekid said:
has anyone noticed how few GREY themed vintage ties there are ?

This is a sensitive issue with me.

Once upon a time, I found a shiny 1930s deadstock plaid tie in grey, silver, orange, and royal blue. Unbelievably rare color combination in a '30s tie, and it looked great.

At a Chilean airport, one of my bags was stolen. That tie was in it.

I'm still bugged by the loss!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender

My camera's away, so I scanned this tie. I really don't know much about dating ties. when would you experts say this pattern is from?

Jay

Practically Family
Veronica Parra said:

I've got a photo of Louis Armstrong in the '30s wearing a buttondown shirt. Except, he removed the collar's buttons and replaced them with small safety pins! The sight of two safety pins holding down the collar's tips is odd, to say the least.

Do you still have this photo? I'm intrigued and can't find it anywhere. Think you can post it somewhere?
Thanks.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Dinerman said:

My camera's away, so I scanned this tie. I really don't know much about dating ties. when would you experts say this pattern is from?

Oh, ummmmm, my first guess is 50's but, I've seen patterns like that from the 20's... if it's a hand knit tie it's a good chance that it's earlier then the 50's but, it's really hard to tell from that small image.

When you get a larger photo of it with maybe more detail, I'd be happy to give you a more accurate answer!

=WR=

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Just remember that that weed you are referring to was an entirely different animal than the stuff that gets in kids hands today. The THC in todays is three times more powerful than the "old stuff."
Thanks all you selective plant breeders. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Was it? And how do you know this? ;) lol
He looks pretty stoned to me in that pic,...buzzed enough to put those safety pins on his shirt. :rolleyes:
And weren't all those jazz guys hop heads? :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally