Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Quigley Brown said:
I posted these way back, but here's the J Galets that I have. I got them at a house auction for pocket change.

tietwo.jpg

tieone.jpg

tie2-2.jpg

Those are some of the better Galet examples I have seen.

YETI

A-List Customer
Quigley Brown said:
I don't pay attention to ebay any more, but the Galets go for that much? I have several, but I've never been overly-excited about their design. They're too wide, also.
I've had several Galet ties too. The vintage collectors I know would call them a poor mans Dali. I suspect it's the same person/s putting such high bids on those airbrushed "silkies".

YETI

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
It's a crazy market for painted ties. You can find them in all price ranges.
Color, quality, and composition matters...but sometimes it doesn't! [huh]
Good for buyer, bad for seller.

I think a good policy for buying them is to set your price and not get into a bidding war. There will always be another one at auction.
I think it's a racket. When I started noticing the painted ties going for prices even beyond a primo Dali, I was befuddled. The ties were almost always silk. The acetate ones would only sell for a fraction of those. A few months ago, 2 mint condition painted ties sold for $28 each on a vintage clothing site. A week later those same ties were up for sale on ebay. The winning bids for both were around $600! I almost bought(not bid on) those ties too. :eusa_doh:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I just picked up a rather nice knit wool tie at Portaportese, the big market in Rome.
IMG_9621.jpg

IMG_9622.jpg

Photo9.jpg

I only paid one euro for it, but for some reason I only thought to buy one. There were some other nice ties mixed in the lot. I should have picked up another knit or two, at least one of the other's seemed to be silk.

But anyway, what do I wear this with? Does its being wool make it a fall/winter tie? I tried to find any information on knit ties, but I didn't really get much from the great and wise Google.

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
WOW! What a cool thread. I`ve actually been kind of getting into vintage neckties and thought they would be a good way to define my own style without having to break the bank.

I`m especially fond of those "modern",abstract design,hand painted and period color patterned ones so prevelant in the 1950`s and 1960`s. The older ties from the 30s & 40s are very classy but I`m not sure about how the "shor-ties" (very punny) would look on me.

Love all the incredibly cool neckties you guys are posting! I picked up 5 "vintage"(late 80s,early 90s :rolleyes: ) ties from our local Goodwill Store for $1.00 each that caught my eye. I`ve also noticed you can get some excellent deals on ebay.Anyone else have some good vintage necktie sources?

Keep posting! :eusa_clap
HMH

I received the Four in Hand and other ties yesterday. Geez, they are likely from 1910. The material is exactly like what I have seen in other examples of the period. The Four in Hands are thinner than some suspenders I have.
The other set of high grade cravats is hilarious. I wouldn't even consider dry cleaning them. They are brand new but the spots appear to be painted on with the use of a stencil. High grade for the time---I doubt it. They are a quandry when it comes to datign them though. They are lined but my guess would be that they are from the 30s at the latest. Quite interesting. Maybe the lining makes them High Grade? :p
There are a few duplicates of blue ones. I suppose I can wear some and put some aside for posterity. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken