Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Annixter

Practically Family
An Interesting Find

I had an interesting experience at a local flea market. Earlier, I posted a picture of a tie my mother and stepfather bought me from a flea market vendor. After my mother told the vendor that I am interested in 30's-50's dress, the vendor became interested in meeting me in person.

I attended the flea market with my mother and stepfather, and I met the vendor. She is a very nice woman, and she said she was happy that her uncle's ties and accessories were going to someone who would care for and use them. With that, she handed me a box of about 50 ties and told me to look through them. I ended up pulling out the ones below. Unfortunately, most of the ties in the box were soiled beyond repair. During my search through the box, people were walking up asking her, "How much are you asking for the ties?" She'd quickly say, "The ties are not for sale," reserving them for my first pick.

She then took me over to a table where she had a huge selection of cufflinks, tie bars, collar bars, etc. She pointed out three sets of cufflinks and tie bars and said they were her uncles also and asked if I liked them. I told her they were nice, and she grabbed them and the ties, threw them in a bag, and said, "How's $20 sound?" Of course I agreed.:)

She then told me that she has more boxes of her uncle's ties, and she would bring them to the next flea market. She told me she wanted me to take them all home, look through them, and bring back whatever I don't want. I was pleasantly surprised by her enthusiasm and generosity.

My questions are about the two ties in the last picture: the blue with white dots and the green/gray/black tie.

The blue tie is interestingly constructed, as their is a lot of extra liner material, and the overall shape is less defined and unkempt looking in cut. There are two tags: a "R.E. Stearns Co. Boston" and a "Tailored by Janice Howe." The Janice Howe tag is located where more modern tie holders are, but it is sewn around the entire perimeter.

The green/gray/black tie has no markings. It appears to be a glossy Rayon. It is longer and thinner than the other ties, but it has no backing other than the fabric being folded over and secured. The reason why I grabbed it is because there is no sign that a more modern tie holder was ever sewn on, and the burlap-type material used for matting up in the tie looks very similar to the same material in a tie I have that has been identified as a 1930's tie. Something is telling me this tie is later than that, but I figured I'd take the chance regardless.

If anyone has insight into these two ties in particular, I'd be interested in hearing it.

The red tie on the right is my new favorite.
100_1453.jpg

100_1455.jpg

100_1457.jpg

100_1460.jpg

100_1464.jpg

In the second photo, the tie on the left is what is referred to as a knot plan tie. When tied, the knot will be a solid color while the pattern will look like it is coming out of the solid color knot. I like these a lot. :eusa_clap
The whole bunch are very nice. You are right about the last tie on the left. It looks much newer than the rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken