Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Bought this today at the thrift shop for $30. A truck would make getting this kind of thing back across town easier. Instead I have friends who take payment in microbrew.

This matches one of my chairs fairly closely.

The woodwork on this one has maple leafs carved in towards the bottom.

P1070122.jpg

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cavalier Cedar Chest.....

I found this last weekend for $20. I did a little research on the brand name, nice stuff. Don't have any idea as to what it's worth, but I love it anyway. [huh]

DSC04894.jpg

DSC04895.jpg

DSC04896.jpg

DSC04896.jpg

DSC04897.jpg

Needs a good cleaning though.

Dinerman said:
Bought this today at the thrift shop for $30. A truck would make getting this kind of thing back across town easier. Instead I have friends who take payment in microbrew.

This matches one of my chairs fairly closely.

The woodwork on this one has maple leafs carved in towards the bottom.

P1070122.jpg

That is a superb find. $30 wouldn't get you a leg of something as nice new.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
'30s? '40s? There are stitch lines from where there was once a tag in the center, but the tag's gone.

Here are some shots from the big move. We moved the cushions beforehand. As it's a vintage couch, they have springs inside, not foam, so they're rather heavy. I'll have to move the damn thing again come September.
P1070133.jpg

Dinerman said:
'30s? '40s? There are stitch lines from where there was once a tag in the center, but the tag's gone.

Here are some shots from the big move. We moved the cushions beforehand. As it's a vintage couch, they have springs inside, not foam, so they're rather heavy. I'll have to move the damn thing again come September.
P1070133.jpg

At least 40s for sure. My grandparents had one very similar---except covered in mohair. They weren't cheap even back then.
They are very heavy indeed as their frames are also hard dense wood---not plywood. Couches were meant to last back then---I guess you can tell because it is still around. ;)

rlk

I'll Lock Up

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Chromed Fire guard.

It's 1920 to 1930's. Chromed sheet metal steel I think. I have all my original Deco 1930's fire places working. Lovely open fires...

grundie

One of the Regulars
I found this in what would best be described as a 'jumble shop' that sold anything and everything and was in a total mess.

QiB3rl.jpg

YV13Ol.jpg

PWn65l.jpg

The owner asked what I thought it was worth I said "€50?" - chancing my luck - and he accepted. Nice! Especially considering it's in perfect working order.

I have been able to positively date it's manufacture to 1946, which probably explains its rather austere appearance when compared to earlier HMV portable gramophones.

swinggal

One Too Many
grundie said:
I found this in what would best be described as a 'jumble shop' that sold anything and everything and was in a total mess.

QiB3rl.jpg

YV13Ol.jpg

PWn65l.jpg

The owner asked what I thought it was worth I said "€50?" - chancing my luck - and he accepted. Nice! Especially considering it's in perfect working order.

I have been able to positively date it's manufacture to 1946, which probably explains its rather austere appearance when compared to earlier HMV portable gramophones.

Wicked sticks!!! I got my 20s gramaphone at a garage sale in pristine condition for...wait for it...$20!!!!! They had no idea what it was and didn't care. It was closed and I knew exactly was! I bought it and ran!!!!

swinggal

One Too Many
Legion said:
Hi folks. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm hopelessly thrift shop addicted so I expect this thread is where most of my posts will be going.

I'll start with this because I just collected it from the tailor yesterday. A vintage Burberrys (yes, with the "s" on the end. It's pretty old) wool coat in fantastic condition. I'm a little scared to wear it now because I looked up the new prices of Burberry coats... Ouch! It only needed slight alterations, now it fits like a glove. :eek:

486cdcad.jpg

c470b0d6.jpg

Lovely coat Legion! I'm addicted to Op/Thrift shopping too. There are still a few good spots here in Perth apart from the big chains like Good Sammies. The ones run by little old ladies like "The Sisters of Charity' are great as they tend to be less frequented I think.

Went to the flea market today in Montello.

Vintage Motorola Radio, turntable's disconnected, but the AM/FM Radio works nicely. Cost me a Fin.

Picture005.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

A little upset with this buy. Guess you can't trust people. The guy told me he dealt a lot with old radios and that this 8-track player worked like a million bucks, it doesn't at all. Radio works alright however.

Picture007.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe