Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

DNO

One Too Many
Just posted this one on the new hats thread but I figured I'd post it here as well. Found this perfect Biltmore Milan on 50% off Friday at a local Goodwill. Just finished steaming and ironing the slightly misshapen brim back to it's original form. It's a bit big but some padding will take care of that. Great hat, no nicks, holes, stains, etc. Can't complain about the $2.50 price either! Gotta love the Goodwill.

Milan1.png

Milan2.png

Just posted this one on the new hats thread but I figured I'd post it here as well. Found this perfect Biltmore Milan on 50% off Friday at a local Goodwill. Just finished steaming and ironing the slightly misshapen brim back to it's original form. It's a bit big but some padding will take care of that. Great hat, no nicks, holes, stains, etc. Can't complain about the $2.50 price either! Gotta love the Goodwill.

Milan1.png

Milan2.png

$2.50?! That was a good deal.

Alon

One of the Regulars
I found this old photo of Gustav Stresemann at an antique store. Granted, Herr Stresemann isn't Germany's best known politician, but I studied German history and had a particular interest in the Weimar era. Stresemann was a chancellor, foreign minister, and Nobel Peace Prize laureate. Besides, it's autographed, which is damned cool, and the antique dealer had no idea who he was and parted with the photograph for a mere 30 shekels (or approximately US $7.00).

7023983267_bb3f4f9d04.jpg

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
I found this old photo of Gustav Stresemann at an antique store. Granted, Herr Stresemann isn't Germany's best known politician, but I studied German history and had a particular interest in the Weimar era. Stresemann was a chancellor, foreign minister, and Nobel Peace Prize laureate. Besides, it's autographed, which is damned cool, and the antique dealer had no idea who he was and parted with the photograph for a mere 30 shekels (or approximately US $7.00).

7023983267_bb3f4f9d04.jpg

Congratulations on the find, I think that´s exciting :)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I seem to have a lot of luck with old keys.

A few months back, I purchased these:

box-keys1.jpg

They perfectly operated this lock:

box-keys4.jpg

Which I'd been looking for a key for, for some time (the original ones having gone missing).

Today, the patron saint of locksmiths (whoever that is) must be smiling down on me. Today, I found this:

IMG_0919.jpg

It's made by the Eagle Lock Co. of Terryville, Connecticut, U.S.A.

With a bit of effort and determination, and some sandpaper, I ground down the head of the key to the shape that you see there in the photo.

It is now a perfect fit for this lock:

IMG_0860.jpg

...which opens to reveal...

IMG_0882.jpg

My grandmother's Singer Model 99 1951-vintage sewing machine!

No more fumbling around with a screwdriver!!

The price paid for this key? $2.

I also purchased two identical pairs of cufflinks for $40. They have pictures of the R.M.S. Berengaria on it (which was the flagship for the Cunard Line from 1920-1936).

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hehehe, Thank you!

Struck it double-lucky today.

1. My boss at the thrift-shop gave me an ACTUAL key to a vintage Singer sewing-machine! He collects keys and he happened to have one in his collection. So he gave it to me. Now my gran's Singer is one step closer to being 100% authentic.

It is identical to this one:

!B+tp5JgBmk~$(KGrHqEOKj0EzF3e9sclBN!i2+yObw~~_35.JPG

One side is plain. The other side of the shaft has: "SIMANCO" engraved on it ("SInger MANufacturing COmpany").

2. Thank you, to MikeBravo here on the Lounge, for giving me his old braces (suspenders to you Yanks out there). I promise to wear them in good health.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe