Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

... Oh, believe me, there is nothing to tell. In order for me to be a daddy, there would have had to have been a significant other sometime in the past nine months.

I'd think the girls would be lining up around the block for a chance at that fella with those rooms full of old hi-fi's and TV's and whatnot. And that's not even to mention the station wagons.

Last edited:
Sweet and dainty

Found this old magazine ad, complete with a cheap frame, at my favorite thrift store a couple of days ago. A quick Google search suggests that it dates from c. 1935.

My, how times have changed.

GEDC0902.jpg

Why on earth did I read that as though it were dripping with sarcasm?

Beats me.

I certainly didn't mean to be mean. I confess to what I thought was a little good-natured teasing. If it came across harsher than that, well, again, such was not my intention.

Heck, I'd love to look through rooms full of old hi-fi's and TV's and a station wagon collection, not that I'd be your first choice for dinner and a movie on Friday night. But believe me, your collections would keep me entertained for hours. Consider that I'm the guy who just recently found himself explaining to his eye-rolling wife why this household just wasn't complete without a 40-some-year-old console stereo, to complement that 1930s-vintage console radio in the den, and that '40s-vintage tabletop job in the hall.

Last edited:
Oh, I was only teasing back. Don't think I was upset, I can take plenty of good-natured ribbing. I actually enjoy it lol

These hobbies are mostly a man's territory, I have gotten more interest in my antiques out of women lately, though.

Beats me.

I certainly didn't mean to be mean. I confess to what I thought was a little good-natured teasing. If it came across harsher than that, well, again, such was not my intention.

Heck, I'd love to look through rooms full of old hi-fi's and TV's and a station wagon collection, not that I'd be your first choice for a dinner and a movie on Friday night But believe me, your collections would keep me entertained for hours. Consider that I'm the guy who just recently found himself explaining to his eye-rolling wife why this household just wasn't complete without a 40-some-year-old console stereo, to complement that 1930s-vintage console radio in the den, and that '40s-vintage tabletop job in the hall.

I've been on the lookout for a decent stand mixer for a couple years or so. I would have gladly settled for a Sunbeam Mixmaster, and I nearly bought a groovy vintage one from a guy at a flea market several months back, but he apparently didn't believe I really would walk away if he didn't move a bit on his asking price.

Finding a KitchenAid, though, at a Value Village no less, was more than I dared hope for, especially considering that this one is a Hobart-made unit. Hobart sold KitchenAid to Whirlpool back in the mid-1980s; the scuttlebutt in some circles is that the new lookalikes are decidedly inferior. Me, I don't know enough to have an opinion either way. But I surely did home right in when I caught a glimpse of it shortly after I walked through the door.

As far as I can tell it works fine. No funny noises, the speed settings work right, etc.

GEDC0911.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe