Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Sadly, this, too has a hole (also somewhere on the pants) in it....

36082625_o.jpg

However, I believe that it's smaller and I'm also confident that I can get both repaired quite nicely.

Nonchalant

One of the Regulars
1930s 3 piece Belted Back Suit

This suit is a recent eBay acquisition. It's really a lovely suit, and I'm proud to own it. I'm no expert on vintage clothing, so if anyone can tell me anything in particular about this suit, please do!

The wool is a faded light blue & white tweed which is very soft to the touch, and relatively lightweight. It's quite a nice change compared to the scratchy fabric in some of the other 1930s suits I own.

Here's a picture of myself wearing the suit; the fit is comfortable, and I'm pretty satisfied with it... but I do think the sleeves need to be taken in.

From this view, you can see the side vent -- I think this is called a Bi-Swing vent (correct me if I'm wrong!):

Trousers:

Inside of the jacket & lining:

Label & N.R.A. tag from inside pocket:

I found these little tags inside one of the patch pockets:

Finally, here's the front and back of the jacket (without me to obscure the view)

Nonchalant

One of the Regulars
Not very much at all, considering the era and style. It wasn't listed very well, and not many people noticed it (another FLounger was bidding on it, however).

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
I'm not sure, however, if I like the look of lighter buttons on a suit. I prefer black horn with most anything.

1930s suits and sport coats often had buttons that didn't match the colour of the suit. to me they look charming and add a bit of a sportiness and fun. it also looks MORE 30s by association to have off-matching buttons (the buttons are often gorgeous colours too, particularly the butterscotch ones).

benstephens

Practically Family
That is a very lovely suit, and a near perfect size. The colour is fantastic in my opinion.

I think you were very lucky to get such a nice suit for the price.

And the patch pockets add to a tweed suit like that.

Kindest Regards

Ben

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Tweed = Sport = Patch Pockets.

An astonishing find. The belted back helps to nip the waist in nicely, doesn't it? And the cuffs seem to fall just right - no break. Fit fabric, date, labels, style, color - that suit has it all going on.

Thanks very much for letting us learn from it. This picture is the best I've seen here demonstrating how the bi-swing back, helf-belt and pleats all work as a unit to flatter the wearer:

sideviewer8.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
OOF

I'd heard the scuttlebutt about this suit and how it was a size 40. I said, "Lucky for Non." 'Cuz I'm a 42, y'see.

Now that I see that size tag...I'm turning green! :D :whistling

Great work Non...all you need is a baton and you'd be ready to step up on the stand with the best.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
And another neat thing about this suit

Note how the halfbelt falls not at the top button - that'd put it too high - but just above the bottom button, ie: at the natural waist. That's key.

You have stumbled onto a very, very rare find here. People look for years without being able to find anything like this - especially in the more popular sizes, which all wore out years ago.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Love the suit, and the patch pockets are perfect with it. My personal preference would be to shorten the sleeves a bit, trouser length is spot on. Congratulations! :eusa_clap

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Great photos of a truly amazing suit. It's true: pieces like this one come once or twice in a lifetime, if that often. Thanks for the pictures!!

In case you missed it, folks, here is the eBay auction it came from: http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-3-Piece...80QQihZ018QQcategoryZ3001QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hint to Fedora Loungers who are sellers too: If you have a deadstock 1930s belted-back suit to sell, be sure to mention the words "belted back", "1930s", and "deadstock" in the title, or at least the description. Oh, and please place the auction in eBay's "vintage men's clothing" category section. As you can see in the link above, the seller failed to do any of these. Great for buyers, lousy for sellers.

Nonchalant

One of the Regulars
AlanC said:
Love the suit, and the patch pockets are perfect with it. My personal preference would be to shorten the sleeves a bit, trouser length is spot on. Congratulations! :eusa_clap

Thanks everybody for the great response! I'm glad I decided to share photos of it, and perhaps increase everyone's knowledge (especially my own) of 1930s belted back suits -- one of my favorite subjects here at the Lounge.

The sleeves do need to be shortened; and I agree with you about the trousers AlanC & Scotrace, they seem to be perfect. I think I'll take them to the tailor as an example next time I have any alterations made on vintage trousers. I'm still angry at my previous tailor for ignoring my detailed instructions and doing away with a 2" cuff on another pair... :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken