Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
great english DB too ! (what makes you think it might be 20s ?)
30s english suits are rare as rocking horse droppings over here.

you're right, the 18" shoulders don't look bad at all. it's a personal thing...wide shoulders make my head look too small.

Now this one is a Glen Plaid. I think officially a Prince of Wales - Glen Plaid with a contrast overstripe. very light brown with a beautiful aquamarine overstripe. I am certain that the buttons have been moved around at some point. It just doesn't look right. I'll need to play around with those sometime. I'm also certain that this is a 20s suit - very little shoulder padding (and only 15.5" shoulders! - my absolute lower limit), fully lined and with the seam creased down the arms. The jacket is also very short, making it look almost in the French style. I thought it was 50s when i bought it, but i think that impression was from the button stance more than anything else.

LGlen1.jpg
LGlen2.jpg

LGlen3.jpg

bk

herringbonekid said:
great english DB too ! (what makes you think it might be 20s ?)
30s english suits are rare as rocking horse droppings over here.

you're right, the 18" shoulders don't look bad at all. it's a personal thing...wide shoulders make my head look too small.

I got that DB on eBay UK.

I think now that i have less bulk up top (hair) i might rely a bit more on the wide-brimmed fedora to offset 18" shoulders.

On the 20s thing, i think my entire idea comes from this photo, and comparing it to that suit (even though this photo was taken in 1930, i suspect his suit was made in the 20s)

Prince1.jpg

bk

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
your lapels are much wider....i'm getting a 1937 vibe off it.

the only way i know to definately date a european 20s suit or coat (without it saying 1925 inside the pocket) is to look at the shoulder seams. 20s shoulder seams look like this....

20sshoulder.jpg

they drop down the back instead of going along the top. at least that is what a nice shop-owner in Berlin told me...though i doubt ALL 20s shoulder seams did this. also, the trousers should be slimmer than your usual 30s-40s fit. unless it's late 20s, in which case it will be almost impossible to tell it from early 30s. unless it has those shoulder seams above. follow ?

You're probably right. I wasn't so solid about the 20s-ness of that one). I have other definite 20s numbers and they all have the shoulders you showed (funnily enough, so does a very retro-styled 1954-dated German sports coat i picked up). I'll check the shoulders if i remember when i next see that suit.

bk

More to come ...

Here's the 3-piece 3 button tweed SB that someone's grandfather got married in in 1949. I took it off her hands for very few dollars.

Now, this one has 19" shoulders. I really need to get them altered. Will be high on my list of things to do once i return. The rest fits me like a dream.

Tweed1.jpg
Tweed2.jpg

With patch pockets.

Tweed3.jpg
Tweed4.jpg

And self fabric protector at the armpits.

Tweed5.jpg

bk

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Great looking suits Baron and Bob! I am envious. Baron your mug is much more friendly and not as sinister as your avatar. I would encourage you to use your own. I for one get a lot more out of what someone posts when I see the real person too.

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
Black w/ white pinstripe CC41 SB3 piece with DB waistcoat. I apologise for the photos. I hate photographing black fabric.

CC3.jpg
CC4.jpg

6 button (3 to fasten) DB 4-pocket waistcoat

CC1.jpg
CC2.jpg

High, notch-backed Brit trousers with external suspender buttons, and a flap with button closure watch pocket.

CC5.jpg
CC6.jpg

CC7.jpg

That is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe