Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

havershaw

Practically Family
herringbonekid, you asked about my wife and I never got back to this thread! sorry.

She wears some vintage, and is awfully good at finding new clothes that somehow look vintage on her. Right now, we're expecting a baby, and there's not a whole lot of vintage maternity to be found...

She generally does her hair and makeup very 40s, though, so everyone thinks she wears mostly vintage. She's not nearly as insane as I am, though. I would estimate that apart from a few pair of military dress pants, some socks and some boxers and undershirts, I don't own any clothes made after the 50s. And I'd even say I don't have all that much from the 50s.

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
I've got a few suits, two early 60's, one 40's, and one modern Cotton one for the summer. I just ordered a new 50's pinstriped one too. Since I'm lean, I like the narrower styles, but I love my 40's one all the same.

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
A d*mn fine suit, sir. There is a thread here somewhere where people were talking lustily about such a suit.

Is the image reversed?

bk

It could have been this suit, I snapped it up on ebay a few months ago after a little bit of a bidding war. It's at the tailor's right now, the sleeves were short, and it bunched up when buttoned. The pants don't have much of a break, but if I had to choose between cuffs and a good break, I'll choose the cuffs. I love the fabric, it's a very heavy wool weave, with alot of texture.

The image wasn't reversed, that night I buttoned it up the wrong way. Plus I'm wearing it with a narrow 60's polyester tie, but I think it still works.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Briscoeteque said:
It could have been this suit, I snapped it up on ebay a few months ago after a little bit of a bidding war. It's at the tailor's right now, the sleeves were short, and it bunched up when buttoned. The pants don't have much of a break, but if I had to choose between cuffs and a good break, I'll choose the cuffs. I love the fabric, it's a very heavy wool weave, with alot of texture.

The image wasn't reversed, that night I buttoned it up the wrong way.

Good man! You know, in the 30's and 40's from what I see advertised, having a full brake wasn't very common. My self, I like a very slight brake or no brake. Got to have the cuffs man! 1 3/4 inch baby!

Hope your tailor is a good one! One that understands vintage styles because some here have had some very scary things done by bad tailors such as zippers getting shortened! *GASP*! When ever taking a vintage garment to a tailor, you have to sound like a broken record! Don't cut, don't cut, don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t' cut! Only do this, only do this, and only do this!

=WR=

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
New Suit

I just got this suit made in Hong Kong. This is me posing in the Grand Hyatt telephone area- the hotel is totally decorated in black marble and art deco. Really cool place to explore while wearing a fedora. Those are real working rotary phones.

The suit is made in 13 oz. Super 120's wool/cashmere blend.
DSC00865b.jpg

More to come!

Happy New Year!
DSC00871b.jpg

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Thanks, bk. Actually, I think the Grand Hyatt is brand new. The style is just very classic. When I saw art deco lamps in the lobby I knew I'd like it.

I will get some full length pictures of both suits ASAP.
My friend's suit was inspired by the Goldfinger Bond suit. I asked his tailor to make him a suit with 3 buttons with lapels rolling to the 2nd button and a lapeled waistcoat (2 pockets).The lapels aren't as narrow as 60's suits, but I didn't think that looked suited him anyway (heh pun.)

2nd Fitting:
CIMG2869.jpg

Matt Deckard is going to kill me, but I forgot to ask for high arm holes...a lesson learnt.

Overlooking Hong Kong:
CIMG2886.jpg

Sorry, another noirish picture.
edray.jpg

ray

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
These are the only pictures I could find, I hope they come out...

I'm on the right... not really a suit but late 40's Ike style jacket with matching drape slacks.
302499727_l.jpg

Also not really a suit, but... 2-tone gab shirt with matching slacks.
untitled.jpg

Still on the right, ( late 40's, early 50's?) gab patch-pocket sports coat, Lester Young style pork pie (in the center is doo-wop and R'n'B singer Vicky Tafoya).
47b5d830b3127cce927680616a5e0000001.jpg

Repro suit I found at "That's a Wrap" in Burbank. You can find all kinds of random stuff at that store. The pants are button fly.
47b5d929b3127cce92f9d681520e0000001.jpg

Save0022.jpg

El Pachuco zoot suit. Vintage hand painted tie of a peacock! To the left is swing dancer Benny Reese (I think that is his last name).
47b5db39b3127cce91e7dcca32120000001.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
I know yous mugs!

Hey, I know you from the Derby that one night when RCR played! That Double Breasted is a repop??? That thing looks really good!

Yeah, that's Benny alright! Funny guy! I hung out with him on Monday at Memories! Good times!

=WR=

shamus

Suspended
Slicked Oz said:
Does "That's A Wrap" have a website, or do you have details for them? Do they have a catalogue of stuff they reproduce?

Cheers

They have a website, but nothing is really on it. They just sell clothes from old movies and TV shows. And by old I mean last summer. I check in there once a month and oldest thing they had was from American Dreams.

They do have a ton of suits. Nice ones and okay ones. So if you want a modern suit at half off then pick it up. And you can say it was on a soap or film somewhere...

There's also a nice place down the street from them, I forget the name that sells vintage mens stuff, but nothing 40's. Only 50's and up the last time I was in.

Oh and it's a wrap did open another store in hollywood somewhere...

http://www.tvclothes.com/

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Hey 'root! I discovered we drive the same car ('46 plymouth)!
Yeah, the DB is a repro I got for $25 and it fits perfectly! The pants are dead-on '30's, high-waisted and flat front. The coat is a little boxy for my tastes, and the lapel holes are fake. Must of been made for some film or TV project recently.

Like was mentioned, "That's a Wrap" really is'nt worth a trip to Burbank for on it's own. There are a handful of vintage shops and a thrift store on the same block, and a few more on Magnolia and Lankershim. So if you head out there, hit them all. I usually stop by this area every month just to see what's new. You can find some really weird stuff at "That's a Wrap" (they had a bunch of peasant attire from "Van Helsing" around Halloween), but if you keep your eyes open you can find some cool stuff. I've seen a handful of vintage tuxedos, Allen Edmond spectators (for $40!), and vintage slacks. I got a pair of "Bill's Khakis" there for $15 still with the tags! But like was mentioned, this is pretty rare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82