Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Creeping Past

One Too Many
FL suitist perception 'issues'...

I was (silently) referring to the chest measurement. I'm 46" and many suit n jacket vendors label 44 as large and 46 as XL. In that reality, 40" chest seems kind of medium.

But since I intended my remark to express just a suspicion of mild amusement, and given that this is not a subject I wish to die in a ditch for, I'll retire from suits for now.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Creeping Past said:
... But since I intended my remark to express just a suspicion of mild amusement, and given that this is not a subject I wish to die in a ditch for, I'll retire from suits for now.

Hey, I've got your back on this one. I think a suit that would fit someone with a 40" chest, 40" waist and was only 6 feet "tall" would be considered "munchkin size". :) Heck, I haven't been that little since I was in Junior High.

Big Man said:
Hey, I've got your back on this one. I think a suit that would fit someone with a 40" chest, 40" waist and was only 6 feet "tall" would be considered "munchkin size". :) Heck, I haven't been that little since I was in Junior High.

lol lol lol lol I would actually love to see the guy this suit was originally made for. 42 inch chest and a 40 inch waist?! :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:
I know. I haven't fit in a 40 regular since I was in Junior High as well. [huh] :p

Feraud

Bartender
BellyTank said:
Even if the jacket is a 42" and the trou, a 40", it need not reflect the actual size of the man- maybe he liked his trousers loose, or high, or low... and his jacket tight. You never can say.

Actually, I am close to those measurements.

B
T
This is a very good point.
I initially thought the fellow would appear pear shaped with a 40 jacket and 40 waist. After reading BT's comment I realized I too tend to go for looser pants.
The sizes may not accurately reflect the wearer's shape.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, already.

I might add, that I am neither "fat", nor obese.
I am 5' 11".

I would have been more correct, to have said, that some of my suits and separates are of sizes close to those.

If an average sized gentleman is experiencing some middle-age spread and choosing to wear high-waisted trousers, then a 40/40 is pretty easy to do. I can also wear lower cut trousers with a much smaller waist.
Note- high-waisted trousers are virtually on your ribcage, not far from where the chest is measured.
The ribcage IS pair shaped.

It's not even that hard for the waist to be bigger than the chest but we are no longer talking about well-proportioned examples of male-hood.

B
T

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I'm much the same size as BellyTank. 6'0", 190 lbs., with a BMI that is on the upper edge of the "normal" range. My chest is 42", and while most of my trousers are 35-36" in the waist, a really high-waisted pair that sat on the largest part of my stomach would have to be 38-40".

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
From the QM-08 Event in November

Not sure if this was ever posted, as I've just stumbled upon it [huh] But this was me with Marc and Scott on the good ship Queen Mary on Long Beach, Ca.

In their well balanced ensembles, both Marc and Scott looked 'outstanding!!'

DSCN0459.jpg

BellyTank said:
Even if the jacket is a 42" and the trou, a 40", it need not reflect the actual size of the man- maybe he liked his trousers loose, or high, or low... and his jacket tight. You never can say.

Actually, I am close to those measurements.

B
T

I didn't mean to offend. [huh] Its just hard for us larger frame guys to imagine losing 4 inches in the chest and gaining a few inches at the waist. ;) :p At 6', 200 pounds (average guy), I doubt I'll likely ever see a size 40 jacket again.:p

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
yeah, I'm with you on that, but as is life.

jamespowers said:
I didn't mean to offend. [huh] Its just hard for us larger frame guys to imagine losing 4 inches in the chest and gaining a few inches at the waist. ;) :p At 6', 200 pounds (average guy), I doubt I'll likely ever see a size 40 jacket again.:p

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
Thanks, already.

If an average sized gentleman is experiencing some middle-age spread and choosing to wear high-waisted trousers, then a 40/40 is pretty easy to do. I can also wear lower cut trousers with a much smaller waist.
Note- high-waisted trousers are virtually on your ribcage, not far from where the chest is measured.
The ribcage IS pair shaped.

It's not even that hard for the waist to be bigger than the chest but we are no longer talking about well-proportioned examples of male-hood.

B
T

Speaking of wasit v. chest size...I'm 6', with a 40" chest. On low-waisted trousers, I'm a 33", but high-waisted I'm 32 1/2". More than once, I have had to insist to tailors to take in the waist enough so that by the end of 15 minutes my cuffs wouldn't be hitting the ground. For some reason, perhaps the popularity of low waists and overlong inseams, some modern tailors don't think it's necessary for trousers to be anywhere near snug at the waist. Sorry if :eek:fftopic:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe