Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Regal Paddock Boots. NOS. KANGAROO Skin (I really like this skin. Very tough, and the "crinkling" is natural. They will get better with age, I think). Spade Soles. Oh My Gosh!

IMG_2904.jpg

And 1 of me wearing them to work today!

IMG_3075.jpg

Just think. A pair of shoes made in the 1930s/early 40s (outside) just got worn for the first time in maybe 80 years! How do you explain it in any real sense?

That's what I love about vintage and The Fedora Lounge - breaking historical ground.

Members may not google around much but believe me the Lounge is becoming an international resource for vintage items and themes.

Who would have thought a small forum about hats would grow to what is has become today?

Thanks to MK and the Bartenders from all of us Lounge Lizards.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Lucked out this morning.

Made in England for Colwell Brothers, which has been Halifax's most expensive mens shop for about a hundred years.
IMG_3480.jpg

IMG_3481.jpg

IMG_3483.jpg

IMG_3486.jpg

IMG_3487.jpg

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
These John McHales have been stored a bit squashed, and none of my shoe trees work with the shape of the toe, so excuse the pictures. This is the third pair of this particular model of McHales I've found, and it's obvious why they survived all these years. Look at the way these things are built!

Mile high soles. I wonder how long it would take to wear through these beasts.
IMG_3503.jpg

IMG_3501.jpg

IMG_3502.jpg

IMG_3504.jpg

IMG_3506.jpg

IMG_3510.jpg

Enormous welt edge.
IMG_3511.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Here's a great read for those interested in shoes.
Thanks Tomasso. Looking forward to reading it.

Just think. A pair of shoes made in the 1930s/early 40s (outside) just got worn for the first time in maybe 80 years! How do you explain it in any real sense?

That's what I love about vintage and The Fedora Lounge - breaking historical ground.

Members may not google around much but believe me the Lounge is becoming an international resource for vintage items and themes.

Who would have thought a small forum about hats would grow to what is has become today?

Thanks to MK and the Bartenders from all of us Lounge Lizards.
A big part of that success is due to the members who share their collections and knowledge on the site. :eusa_clap

cookie

I'll Lock Up
These John McHales have been stored a bit squashed, and none of my shoe trees work with the shape of the toe, so excuse the pictures. This is the third pair of this particular model of McHales I've found, and it's obvious why they survived all these years. Look at the way these things are built!

Mile high soles. I wonder how long it would take to wear through these beasts.

Enormous welt edge.
IMG_3511.jpg

With a triple welt these would last 20 years as is obvious. Great colour BTW if that colour on my monitor is true. John McHales finshed up as a company in the 50s from memory.

This (edited) remark from classicshoesformen.com:

In 1909 McHale established the firm of Scott-McHale with a partner, the businessman Francis Stuart Scott, in London, Ontario and became one of the few Canadian shoemakers to compete in the U.S. with the much larger neighbouring American firms. Nevertheless, as evidenced by the marvelous quality of this present pair of oxfords, McHale was an unsurpassed artist and worked in the North American tradition of dramatic lasting, more radical even than that his great English contemporaries Nicolaus Tuczek and John Lobb. His chisel toe, on the other hand, while splendid, is somewhat less exaggerated than those of the afore mentioned masters. But it is not style alone that distinguishes this shoemaker, but the immediately evident fastidious shoemaking skill. McHale’s partner Francis Stuart Scott died 13 Feb 1943 and I cannot find any record of Mr. McHale passing. The firm itself appears to have continued in existence to 1954, although one of the three known pairs is dated 1956. After this no further mention can be found.

IMG_3480.jpg

I like this pair too. So little wear for a pair from late 40s/early 50s. Sunday goin' ta meetin' shoes?

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
With a triple welt these would last 20 years as is obvious. Great colour BTW if that colour on my monitor is true. John McHales finshed up as a company in the 50s from memory.

This (edited) remark from classicshoesformen.com:

In 1909 McHale established the firm of Scott-McHale with a partner, the businessman Francis Stuart Scott, in London, Ontario and became one of the few Canadian shoemakers to compete in the U.S. with the much larger neighbouring American firms. Nevertheless, as evidenced by the marvelous quality of this present pair of oxfords, McHale was an unsurpassed artist and worked in the North American tradition of dramatic lasting, more radical even than that his great English contemporaries Nicolaus Tuczek and John Lobb. His chisel toe, on the other hand, while splendid, is somewhat less exaggerated than those of the afore mentioned masters. But it is not style alone that distinguishes this shoemaker, but the immediately evident fastidious shoemaking skill. McHale’s partner Francis Stuart Scott died 13 Feb 1943 and I cannot find any record of Mr. McHale passing. The firm itself appears to have continued in existence to 1954, although one of the three known pairs is dated 1956. After this no further mention can be found.

I think McHale must have lasted at least a little while longer than 1956. I have this pair pictured below, and another, a pair of water buffalo ones which are remarkably similar to the Oxhide ones posted above. Both strike me as being of later manufacture. The later ones are just tagged McHale, instead of John McHale.
270266_10150250018055909_630485908_7298962_2660341_n.jpg

flyfishark

Practically Family
I need that Japanese pipeling, Cookie. Lloyd & Haig English are really popular, but for some reason the Hanover custom Lloyds are much less popular here. They're great shoes, and I'm not certain why they do not get more respect.

flyfishark

Practically Family
This is a pair of Stuart McGuire NOS brown sharkskin wings that I got ahold of today. My only Stuart McGuire, but I couldn't pass up sharkskins that had never been laced.
1239tat.jpg

2zgww1s.jpg

2jaxjt2.jpg

2r7a337.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe