Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KittyT said:
Daisy i'm SO jealous! i was looking at that dress on ebay today but figured it wouldn't fit. it's so pretty - i just love knit dresses!

Thanks Kitty!:) I've been looking for quite some time for knit dresses. They are so comfortable, and can be forgiving size wise. With the way my weight goes up and down, they are the best option for me. I have clothes ranging from size 2 to size 10. Depending on the time of year, whether the crohn's is acting up, and how much prednisone/steroids I have to take, I have to keep a variety of sizes. But, with knit dresses it seems that no matter what size I am, they always fit. I wish I had bought more a few years ago:( I wouldn't have had to buy wardrobes in different sizes.
I'm not sure what the material is on this one. The blue one that I posted a few pages back with the matching bolero is so comfortable, and even though it's got tiny cap sleeves, it's made of wool. Once all my foundations are on the dress is just too warm to wear in the summer. So I'll have to wait until the cooler weather comes back to wear the new vintage knits I bought. Although today it was pretty cool,( surprise surprise) not like I'm looking forward to the cold weather returning, but I'm glad to finaly have vintage daily wear that is good in cooler weather.:)

Kimberly

Practically Family
Daisy, that knit dress will fit you. That is the true beauty of knit and why so many people bid on it (it's stretchability :D).

I was drooling over that yellow dress so I am glad an FLer won it!

eBay was in fact having problems with that seller and fake bidding so I would never bid on anything she put out there. She does get fantastic stuff though. The prices she gets are due to many thing including the marketing of her model. She has often bought things from other eBay sellers at a steal (the item got none or little bids), she puts it on her model and the bids just start coming. It's mind boggling. [huh]

Viviene

Vendor
Everyone,

That seller has been shut down because there was shill bidding involved. Therer were several discussions on the Vintage clothing and accessories board on Ebay as this seller purchased items from other vintage sellers which were disclosed as needing repairs, etc. and then when this seller listed them they became "mint."

Toolhaus is a great tool to vet out what sellers are good to deal with. If there are lots of mutual agreements to remove feedback you want to stay away.

There is a Vintage Fashion Guild seller who has a website at "Dorothea's Closet." She has items similar to "that seller" i.e. dressy occasion dresses that are as good or much better than that seller you were discussing. You need not worry about the quality of her items. She fully discloses any flaws.

Some vendors like myself concentrate on vintage everyday wear with some dressier items when we find them and still others concentrate on gowns and special occasion dresses. It completely depends what you are searching for.

Good luck with your hunting! ;)

Foofoogal

Banned
This thread is driving me bananas as I am curious and cannot figure out who this seller is. I looked under 2 tone dress and cannot find it. I have seen that model before. Oh well.
I will just say finding a good model is hard.
I love ravishing but the Dove commercial is relevant. Most of the vintage clothing is tiny I seem to find or I would wear it all.
When I was 16 I weighed 98 lbs. and was 5.2.
There is an outfit I am looking at right now to buy just so I may do that. Look at it. lol Honestly. Then I guess when my beautiful 7 year old grandaughter turns 16 I will whip it out. Anyone else remotely do this?
Vintage is just flat better made, more creative and I find more feminine.
So all you young chickies best enjoy it while you can. lol

Daisy Buchanan

Viviene said:
Everyone,

That seller has been shut down because there was shill bidding involved. Therer were several discussions on the Vintage clothing and accessories board on Ebay as this seller purchased items from other vintage sellers which were disclosed as needing repairs, etc. and then when this seller listed them they became "mint."

Toolhaus is a great tool to vet out what sellers are good to deal with. If there are lots of mutual agreements to remove feedback you want to stay away.

There is a Vintage Fashion Guild seller who has a website at "Dorothea's Closet." She has items similar to "that seller" i.e. dressy occasion dresses that are as good or much better than that seller you were discussing. You need not worry about the quality of her items. She fully discloses any flaws.

Some vendors like myself concentrate on vintage everyday wear with some dressier items when we find them and still others concentrate on gowns and special occasion dresses. It completely depends what you are searching for.

"Shilling", that was the word I was looking for! I was wondering why I hadn't seen her around for a few days. Although I've heard she's been closed down before and somehow managed to re-open:(

I'll second Dorthea's Closet for dressier vintage. I have bought a few items from her, and they were even better than she described. The flaw that she described on one of the dresses I bought from her was much more minor than she had explained. But, I think this is a good thing. She really gives good descriptions of her items and all of her measurements are perfect:)

Daisy Buchanan

Kimberly said:
Daisy, that knit dress will fit you. That is the true beauty of knit and why so many people bid on it (it's stretchability :D).

I was drooling over that yellow dress so I am glad an FLer won it!

eBay was in fact having problems with that seller and fake bidding so I would never bid on anything she put out there. She does get fantastic stuff though. The prices she gets are due to many thing including the marketing of her model. She has often bought things from other eBay sellers at a steal (the item got none or little bids), she puts it on her model and the bids just start coming. It's mind boggling. [huh]

Thanks Kimberly! I actually really lucked out with this dress. I thought someone would eventually bid on it, I kept clicking refresh so I could get my bid it at the latest possible second, but in the end I was the only bidder. I think it's because the seller listed the measurements as really small and didn't mention that it would stretch at all. He listed the bust as a 32 and they waist as a 24-25. But I did contact him before bidding to make sure that it did indeed have stretch to it, and he said it had plenty. I just have to make sure to wear good foundation garments, for knits show off any little lumps, or not so little lumps:eek:

I can't believe that seller was buying dresses from others and re-selling them. As if the placing false bid problem wasn't bad enough. Does she have no conscience? What a scam artist!

maisie

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
I can't believe that seller was buying dresses from others and re-selling them. As if the placing false bid problem wasn't bad enough. Does she have no conscience? What a scam artist!

I'm not sticking up for this seller but why can't she buy dresses from other sellers and then sell them on? After all this is what most dealers do, and not just on ebay. At shows, dealers will go round early in the morning buy up the bargins and then sell them on, this happens loads and not just for vintage clothing, ever since i was little i have been going to airshows, toy fairs, military shows and you know if you get in early you are going to get the bargins. This is just the same for ebay, for example if you saw a great bargin that you knew would fit but you would make a 10X profit on wouldn't you do it??

I do however think the false bidding is awful! When things are going for a lot i always check to see if the high bidder has no feedback or the user name has only been created in the last few day, as this sometimes is a pretty tell tell sign and also when items are relisted and relisted from the same seller even though it has been sold the last few times it has been listed and no bad feedback has been left for either user.. it just make you think if they could be pushing up the price.........

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
maisie said:
Why can't she buy dresses from other sellers and then sell them on? After all this is what most dealers do, and not just on ebay.

because she's buying items that are flawed, and then misrepresenting the items as being in mint condition when she turns around to sell them.

Foofoogal

Banned
It has been said in the antiques business that as much as 60% of sales are from dealers selling to dealers. In fact it used to be the proper etiquette to offer 20% discount to other dealers and also proper etiquette for anyone buying from a dealer to ask for no more than 20% or what would be the best you could do. It was seen as an insult to ask for more.
I have seen dealers at markets go to front and buy items and go to table in back and double the price to sell it.
I personally will tell people at estate sales what they have and tell them to take it back in the house but have only had 2 people do that. Most say they need more room and/or they just want to get rid of this junk. :) When dealing with other dealers I feel they should do there homework like I do.
I have bought some items I plan on reselling (not many) because they just flat don't fit no matter how many questions I asked before buying or color different on monitors.
Everyone wants a bargain but it irritates me to no end that prices have fallen so low on many things. What is the point if you can get a whole truckload of antiques for $100.00. Then you have a truckload of junk. Something surviving 50 or 100 years should have great value IMHO. Being in the right place at the right time has reward.

maisie

Practically Family
KittyT said:
because she's buying items that are flawed, and then misrepresenting the items as being in mint condition when she turns around to sell them.

I suppose that is one problem that you don't get at vintage fairs, you can actually see what you buying and whether it is flawed or not.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Another cheer me up dress.

ettf.jpg

This will make yellow dress number three. One and two didn't fit so I hope this one does. If not I will be really bummed because I love the collar. Good deal here no one else even bid on it! :D

Kimberly

Practically Family
Viviene said:
Everyone,

Dorothea is one of my favorite sellers. She gets some treasures that make my mouth water! :eusa_clap

decodoll

Practically Family
Trixie said:
I meant to add I just won this cute little dickey. I have a yellow one and matching cuffs and they're great for changing the look of an outfit!

Yup..watching that one too! More to see just how high it will go....I know I can't afford it right now...

Yes...Trixie... I've fallen off the ebay wagon...well...haven't bought anything yet, but I am watching a few things... :p

Kimberly

Practically Family
I got all of these for a dollar each today. I thought I already posted this, but I guess I didn't. [huh]

This is a cute cottony knit romper that looks very cute on. I didn't bother taking pictures of the leg area as my mani has none so it swims on her.

blueromper-1.jpg

A vintate inspired bathing suit that I won't have to worry about ruining in the ocean.

bathingsuit.jpg

3 broaches for a buck each including a Weiss

broaches.jpg

An adorable hat (I have a ton of hats now :eek: )

hat.jpg

My first apron. I bought it for the cherries

cherryapron.jpg

Shearer

Practically Family
Viviene said:

I'll third or fourth on Dorothea - those dresses are drool worthy!

And Pink that yellow dress is really cute... love the frilly neckline.

Kimberly, that's a great apron. That print with the yellow accents and the blue dots... :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe