Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your 1930s Beach Pyjamas

VintageBaroness

One of the Regulars
More beach pajama perfection from Heidi...
5882140520_968f0cf82a.jpg

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I love Heidi's set with the solid blue and peach to match the print (where you have to click the link on the previous page) - that really is one of the best designs I think I've ever seen on beach pyjamas.

I've come across a fair few sets since I've started collecting vintage, but the problem for me is most are not nearly long enough in the leg for me at 5' 9"! They'd be flapping about half mast. And I'll admit, I'm fussy about what I like too. Some have just not been my style at all. :p

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Not a set I own, sadly, but here's a photo of my Nana in the early 1930s in New Zealand in her beach pyjamas! They were green with a print of orange flowers and a zig zag sunburst of solid orange around the legs. I am desperate to find some material as similar as possible to recreate them. So if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

She was visiting her Grandparents in a sleepy little town and apparently caused quite a stir amongst the locals with these - the boys followed her across the sand dunes wolf whistling!

Sorry if it's a bit hard to see details. This is from a tiny little snapshot like you got in those days. Luckily I got to talk to my Nana about it, which is how I have all the nice details. :)

2e1c14ff.jpg

Last edited:

lareine

A-List Customer
Miss Sis, how wonderful to have both a photo and a personal description of those! They sound VERY vibrant :)

If you are desperate to recreate the print you could try Spoonflower. They do custom prints, but you have to design them yourself and the fabric is extremely limited - it was only cotton the last time I visited their site although maybe they have expanded since then. It's not cheap but you can design whatever print you want.

swinggal

One Too Many
Not a set I own, sadly, but here's a photo of my Nana in the early 1930s in New Zealand in her beach pyjamas! They were green with a print of orange flowers and a zig zag sunburst of solid orange around the legs. I am desperate to find some material as similar as possible to recreate them. So if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

She was visiting her Grandparents in a sleepy little town and apparently caused quite a stir amongst the locals with these - the boys followed her across the sand dunes wolf whistling!

Sorry if it's a bit hard to see details. This is from a tiny little snapshot like you got in those days. Luckily I got to talk to my Nana about it, which is how I have all the nice details. :)

2e1c14ff.jpg

Awesome! Pretty sure my Nan had a pair too in the 30s. I wish I had a photo like this :) I made a pair out of viscose which is lovely and flowy, a lot like vintage rayon dresses. I'm not a fan of stiff cotton for beach PJs, so viscose is always good. There are some amazingly vintagey patterns available too in all sorts of colours. Lauren's beach PJ pattern is a great one to make. You can find it at Wearing History :)

VintageBaroness

One of the Regulars

2e1c14ff.jpg

What an amazing photo! A treasure indeed! All of the vintage 1930s beach pyjamas I've acquired were made of various types of novelty cotton (ranging from feedsack to sturdier cotton that is almost more akin to canvas or broadcloth?), so if were wanting to go that route, you might be able to source similar vintage or find repro. fabrics. Like Lareine, I was thinking that if you can find the right fabric swatch, you could probably get fabric custom made via Spoonflower or Victory Fabrics? I've seen Time Machine Vintage on etsy and Nudeedudee make similar beach pjs...wonder if they'd tell ya where they sourced their fabrics from?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Thank you, ladies. I wish the photo was a bit larger or clearer. Whether it is an all in one with a jacket or just trousers and a jacket I can't tell and never asked, unfortunately. I think I would be inclined to make an all in one with a jacket for practicality.

They were made of cotton - that I know, and I would say that IS the most practical fabric for something that is for the Summer and the beach. I do have an original vintage pair of lounging pyjamas and bolero jacket that are made of rayon crepe. They are definitely for inside wear and not for sports or the beach.

Hmmm, I have been looking for years for a suitable print and never found anything that looks right, so custom might be the way, but I can't say I know how one goes about designing a fabric?!?

VintageBaroness

One of the Regulars
Thank you, ladies. I wish the photo was a bit larger or clearer. Whether it is an all in one with a jacket or just trousers and a jacket I can't tell and never asked, unfortunately. I think I would be inclined to make an all in one with a jacket for practicality.

They were made of cotton - that I know, and I would say that IS the most practical fabric for something that is for the Summer and the beach. I do have an original vintage pair of lounging pyjamas and bolero jacket that are made of rayon crepe. They are definitely for inside wear and not for sports or the beach.

Hmmm, I have been looking for years for a suitable print and never found anything that looks right, so custom might be the way, but I can't say I know how one goes about designing a fabric?!?

To be honest, I sent Sara at Victory Fabrics a copy of the 30s colour beach pj pic and she and her partner were able to get a "sample" and scan it onto a fabric!!!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Thanks, I've already looked at Spoonflower but don't think I am capable of designing what I have in my head!!! I do know just what I want, but getting someone who knows how to design to understand that, and get it just right is very difficult. Also I am EXTREMELY fussy about colours; if it isn't just right, it wouldn't work for me at all.

I think I'll try to contact Victory Fabrics when they are back off sabatical and see if they can help me in my impossible quest!

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer

2e1c14ff.jpg

Wow, what a fantastic snap and story! (I'm also mildly hyperventilating over her hat too!) I do hope you find the right fabric for it soon!
T x

swinggal

One Too Many

My original 1930s pair are made of a light, flowy rayon-esk fabric Miss Sis, and I have worn them to the beach and in Thailand on holiday as there are so cool and comfy and very durable. My only regret is that I didn't get about 5 copies made (sooo cheap and so well-made) by a Thai tailor while I was there in different fabrics! Doh!!

VB's idea is a great one re having your own fabric made. Do you ever look out for original vintage fabrics on ebay as well?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Yes, I sew and trawl for vintage fabric and patterns, but I would need an awful lot for a beach set. And of course, it has to be green with orange flowers! LOL.

Miss T, I have a very similar giant straw sunhat at my Mama's house in NZ. It's enormous - and great fun to wear, especially in a country where you actually need to cover up from the sun.

I also love the beach shoes she is wearing - look to be either canvas or rubber. Still, she had the tiniest feet - about a US Size 2? - so they would never have fit me even if she'd kept them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun