Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us their suits

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
similar to the ones on Clark Gable's "It Happened One Night" jacket too.
i find the breast pocket too eye-catchingly square. the lower pockets i like, but think round corners would harmonise with the jacket more.

According to vintage lore, Gable had his stylist/tailor, Eddie Schmidt, make sport coats with those expanding breast pockets to accommodate his pipe and tobacco pouch.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
more Ghisoland pics:
ng_61588.jpg

ng_61905.jpg

ng_55466.jpg

ng-54511.jpg

Metatron

One Too Many
Some shots from the excellent movie 'Stray Dog' by Kurosawa, 1949.
Some of the casual styles are a bit too 'US holiday-wear' for me, but they are worn with lots of style.
However, the protagonist does wear the classic combo of a linen suit and cap.

Interestingly, the protagonist who is an inexperienced detective is perhaps the only main character wearing a tie.
Most everyone, including his colleagues and even his boss wear open collared shirts to cope with the intense summer heat which permeates the story.
This perhaps indicates that being a 'newbie', he is intent on making a good impression even if he has to endure some discomfort.

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Got to see this one.

Is this scene a hostile encounter between a grizzled veteran angered by the "yankeefied" lad?

Screenshot530_zps6d1bfc70.png

Metatron

One Too Many
All I will say is, not exactly. :p
You should definitely watch it. Very high quality film-making. not highly intellectual, but involving, with complicated characters and great dynamics...

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Fastuni, Film critics consistently cite Stray Dog as one of the top 10-20 film noirs of all time and best non-English language noir ever made. It's definitely a movie that lives up to its critical hype.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i'm not really a fan of David Niven, but this outfit deserves a mention simply for it's crisp sharpness:
those lapels look like they've been lazer-cut out of felt.

Niven_zps9353fb93.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tex rider