Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shinki info?

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
It's a 44R. Fits perfect. I think Eastman have nailed standardized UK sizing these days.

Shoulder 20"
Chest 24"
Back 26.5"
arm 26"

Got it from Son of a Stag who have a size 40 and 42 in stock @£599

http://www.eastmanleather.com/stockists.php?osCsid=434b4485aecd755c7fdfcb1fc4880763

One of the things that attracted me was the goat is medium weight. Jacket weighs 1.6 kg. Not stiff or bullet proof like some.
Exactly the same weight as an original G&F I used to have.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That is a beautiful ELC M- 422-A, likely better constructed than the originals were. My experience is that the 422-A and G-1 jackets all fit a bit on the small side. That would be reflected by your measurements and my experience wearing a size 44 G-1 issued to me in 1967. Great find for you. :thumb:

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
It's definitely an advantage being able to see a jacket in person before buying. It wasn't until I took the m-422a out of the shop (with the assistant stopping me running off !) that I could see the colour correctly in daylight.
On Eastman's website they seem to desaturate all the photos to get a 1940's look. Their jackets tend to have better and more saturated look in reality.

Leather, does of course, vary batch to batch, so you never really know what's going to turn up mail order.

DiamondDave

Vendor
Gents,

Back to the topic... here are some samples photos of a 2 year old GW in Shinki HH, that has had a "Depot Redye" to Dark Seal, and been worn INTENSELY!!

Since the presumption, especially on A-2 jackets, is that we want them to look original... I say Shinki HH nails it!

Attachments

• Shinki_1.jpg
    Shinki_1.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 487
  • Shinki_2.jpg
    Shinki_2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 470
  • Shinki_3.jpg
    Shinki_3.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 501

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic patina! I think I'm going to have to start being a little less kind with my Dustbowl if I'm going to achieve this kind of look within two years *glares at jacket*

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Inlikeflynn has his "New" Good Wear on the sale pages.. seems he wore it in the rain and it shrunk?? the Shinki on that jacket is Shtinki

I was under the impression that cold/rain water wouldn't shrink a jacket, although Hot water and hot clothes dryer will??

Last edited:

DiamondDave

Vendor
Boyo,,

Hot dryer and hot water will get that effect. I DO NOT believe that it was just a rain storm that caused that damage. Not to impune any other member, but I am incredulous about those circumstances. When I have seen a slight shrinkage, it always relaxes back to original. Though some will occur from wear, because of the wrinkling and tunneling, this is usally minimal. Just my 2c worth, beautiful stuff IMHO.

DD

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The collar on my FQHH LHB was beaten into shape by a particularly harrowing 90 minute walk home in an uninterrupted downpour, but I didn't notice any shrinkage to the jacket generally.

Ishmael

Practically Family
Once when I visited "Desolation Row", the Freewheelers main shop in Tokyo, one of the clerks mentioned that their display Shinki jackets had experienced slight shrinkage over time. BUT they very aggressively abuse their display jackets to quickly bring out their inner patina potential. Not sure exactly what tactics they're using though. I'll ask when I make it back there again.

Jägernaut

Practically Family
Nah, the race is still on.....Shinki VS Mojtoc (I googled it - "Made Outside Japan, Therefore Obviously Crap", apparently....)

marinehide.jpg

Butte currently has about 3 or 4 weeks start. I suggest both runners meet up after a year, and see who wins. I think it could be a dead heat (unless Ishmael throws himself under the legs of one of the runners........) :crazy::D;)
Time for that rematch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82