Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shinki info?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
We get loads of great pics of Horween horsehide and such like in various states of wear, but very few of Shinki. Does anybody have a well-worn, worn-in jackets made of it? Just to able to see how it ages. And for that matter, anyone got any decent articles or websites on the production process? The Shinki website suffers from the usual Google translator effect. :)

There are a couple in the aged Good Wear thread.
And don't ask BK - they laugh at is as a second-rate leather compared to BK Victory/War/Anniversary/Wedding horse lol
Might want to search with Himel jackets as subject. I don't have nigh wear on mine yet to give it long term marks, but I fully expect a great looking hide with lots of wear.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Ha! Ta for that. I will do a bit of perusing. Dunno about you but the Shinki seems to have behaved very differently to Horween already: more of a marbled effect than deep wrinkling. Have to say, Butte, this may be heresy but Cooperson's tan Ventura may have been even nicer than yours. #jussayinlike ;)

Last edited:

Cooperson

One Too Many
Won't feel better till i've replaced it. New Ventura is out of my price range now - looking long and hard at the new Cropduster at the moment.

Cooperson

One Too Many
No it was my first, Aero and vintage prior to that. The Ventura was a stunning jacket, but it wasn't made for me - I just hoped it would fit - sadly it was just slightly too small for comfort. The Shinki hide is very nice indeed, similar weight to Aeros medium weight horse but a real quality finish to it. I miss that damn jacket :-(

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
So are we saying that Shinki is the wagu beef of leathers? Personally, I love the grain it's developing, though I'm not minded to treat it as meanly as my FQHH, which virtually demands it.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure I understand the point of the images then. Are you saying that it's top leather but not as good as the ones you use? *removed the ambiguous 'grade'.

Last edited:
1) I don't see any scrapes on the BK hides - unless you're saying they don't scratch...
2) It's a difference in what one wants - and that can even vary by jacket/style.
3) The piece of Shinki has a stamp - but it could well be a piece of scrap from the outer edges of the used hides. That said, nothing wrong with what I see there.
4) Taking the one Shinki jacket I own - the GW Ventura - I would never want that ultra-grainy hide on that jacket. Ever. On another design, it might be great.

So...what's funny again about Shinki hides? Not seeing it with your examples above.

Thanks Mike. Were those the samples (might be mixing my nuts here :) ) you nailed on a fence post or something like that? I recall someone trying to see the effects of aging on various hide samples some time ago?

Yes, samples from JC & Aero. Never thought of scratching them up before Andy's post....
Not quite sure what it proves- maybe that Shinki's has a top layer of color and is lighter underneath...
Just thought I'd try to compare a couple of apples...that's all. ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82