Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
I've been a bit silly, and hope you can help me.

I've just started sewing (I've made 2 dresses so far, so I'm not brilliant at it yet) All but one of my patterns are vintage, so in almost all the patterns I'm a size 18, and in the one modern pattern I'm a 14. Problem is I cut out and started sewing the modern pattern, forgetting that I didn't need an 18.

I've now done everything but the sleeves, buttons and hems. And it's (obviously) far too big for me. Any ideas?

I'ts the jacket from this pattern (although I'm not lining it, and wearing it like a blouse instead)

Sim4044.jpg

I was hoping to wear it this weekend (and if I'd cut it out right, I'd have managed it)

olive bleu

One Too Many
this is probably not what you want to hear, but i would just recut it.if you have anything sewn, take it apart and recut using the right pattern pieces for your size.A pain yes, but you will have a garment that fits properly for years to come.

olive bleu

One Too Many
oh, i like that.i am actually buying a new pattern & fabric this afternoon and almost bought that very one with the intention of making that same jacktet!:) well..you can easily shorten the sleeves if they are too long and you could cinch in the waist with a belt, but the shoulders would worry me the most..where it is such a structured jacket, i think it would still look like a jacket that was too big.Personally. although it pains me to say it..i would still redo:( ..but maybe someone else has ideas?

olive bleu

One Too Many
i am going to be making the top from this pattern.this looks quick so i will probably make 2-3 with the same pattern.i have lost a bit of weight lately and desperately need new blouses,but not willing to invest too much energy into it:)

4047.jpg

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
4047.jpg

I'm using the white top and black skirt for my bridesmaids. I'm doing the top in white charmuese and the skirt and sash in turquoise dupioni. Then I'm going to be doing a white swing coat to match because my wedding is in January.

I love this pattern!

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I made that retro 1950s pattern here is my version:
acechrstmasparty001.jpg

I am not crazy about the blouse b/c I am so short waisted its its very looooooonngg! Love the skirt but I have to take it in another 4 inches(lost weight again,great when your planning it but not so great when your not and have to take in all your clothes!:rage: )

Samantha

lillielil

Familiar Face
olive bleu said:
i am going to be making the top from this pattern.this looks quick so i will probably make 2-3 with the same pattern.i have lost a bit of weight lately and desperately need new blouses,but not willing to invest too much energy into it:)

4047.jpg

My wife made that blouse in a funky orange and red coral pattern. I love it! It was very easy, and she has promised to make more. She also made the skirt, but it turned out way too big and is currently being held together by staples (apparently she didn't realize it was too big until she was wearing it at work) and in the "to be fixed" pile.

olive bleu

One Too Many
oh thats' great that so many of you have made that! I will have to post pics when i am done.Funny though....(this is what happens when you have been home from work sick with a dreadful cold for 3 days:eek: )...I intended to just buy fabric for the blouse today and instead got carried away by a beautiful turquoise twill with yellow and white plumeria type flowers on it. It wasn't untill i got home and was showing it to my husband and he said" you are using this stiff fabric for a blouse?", that i realized i bought the skirt fabric instead.lol (luckily i always get a bit extra, so there is actually going to be enough to make the skirt.I will probably make the blouse white.if i like it, i may make a second one in yellow.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Quick question - are the measurements provided on vintage patterns the finished garment measurement? Or the body measurement for that size?

Mary

Practically Family
I've bought some cheap wool georgette and tried to wash a bit of it in cold water and it shrunk and got a little different texture. It's not supersmooth on the surface but it still looks good. Can I iron it?

And will it continue to shrink the next time I wash it or will it stay the same from now on? Have I preshrunk the fabric or should I wash it several times before I start sewing?

I read that crepes should be drycleaned and this fabris lookes like a crepe but it's called georgette.

This it my very first sewing project hence all the questions.

Thanks in advance!

M

Mary

Practically Family
TheKitschGoth said:
:( I wouldn't mind so much if I had a sewing machine, but I'm sewing by hand at the moment

You have to get someone to borrow you a sewing machine. It should be easy!

Where I live there are sewing machines to borrow at "alternative" cafées. Or maybe ask some old people in "old peoples clubs". I'm sure some old lady would donate her old one to you, especially since you make old-fashioned dresses.

Good luck!

Mary

Practically Family
I happened to be in Lund and bought some fabric in a store there. But otherwise it's only Stoff och stil. The fabrics I've found in the city are so expensive. 400-500 kr for wool and that's rediciosly much for me. When I don't know if I will make it.

But there are a lot of fabricsshops on Möllan. I don't know if they are any good though.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Mary said:
I've bought some cheap wool georgette and tried to wash a bit of it in cold water and it shrunk and got a little different texture. It's not supersmooth on the surface but it still looks good. Can I iron it?

And will it continue to shrink the next time I wash it or will it stay the same from now on? Have I preshrunk the fabric or should I wash it several times before I start sewing?

I read that crepes should be drycleaned and this fabris lookes like a crepe but it's called georgette.

This it my very first sewing project hence all the questions.

Thanks in advance!

M

The best time to press your georgette is when the fabric is still damp. I suggest misting it w/ a spray bottle and then pressing it out on a medium setting. Don't use steam from your iron. You've basically only preshrunk your fabric. It may shrink a tiny bit more, but only minimally. And most likely not. You could begin cutting out your patterns once you iron your fabric. It should be fine from this point forward.

Good luck! Can't wait to see pics of it when it's finished!! :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe