Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott goes after the Restoration Hardware crowd

Semli

New in Town
ordered one! a brown one. a summer weight jacket to accompany the heavy weight - black - fqhh - custom aero racer i just ordered. as well as some instant gratification to counter the 15 week aero production time.

between amex points rewards, a 10% off clearance coupon and talking them out of charging me their purchase total based shipping calculation ($40 to ship a 4# jacket seemed exorbitant... she agreed and waived), the jacket cost nothing out of pocket!!

my only fear is that their sizing guidelines don't hold true, as this is a final sale. i fit nicely in a small in schott's off the rack cafe racers, but their sizing guides say i am clearly a medium and their customer service notes say nothing about it being not true to size.
Do you have any pictures?

I'm thinking of ordering one but since it's final sale not 100% convinced I want to go for it.

Thanks.

Lord Snooty

New in Town
just read the blurb on this jacket, i was a mod in 60s london and can say that NO rocker (bad boy he he)would ever wear that jacket,they all wanted to look like Brando in the Wild One.Its a nice jacket but not 60s British rocker garb.Keep the faith.Snooty

Cole

One of the Regulars
Do you have any pictures?

I'm thinking of ordering one but since it's final sale not 100% convinced I want to go for it.

Thanks.

I would love to see some pictures of the actual jacket as well, not just the promo pictures on the restoration hardware site. Oh and some meassurements would be great. Somehow that Schott size chart is a bit strange. :)

Cole

One of the Regulars
A member of the filmjackets.com forum was so kind to post pictures and meassurements of his jacket in size L. http://www.filmjackets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4544

schott1.jpg

schott2.jpg

schott3.jpg

schott4.jpg

schott5.jpg

schott6.jpg

schott7.jpg

schott8.jpg

Eyestrain

New in Town
I've begun actively searching for this jacket in a size medium. I prefer brown, but may consider black. No luck on ebay or the intertubes so far. If someone has one they would be willing to sell, please state your demand.

Thanks.

wanz

One of the Regulars
Hey Eyestrain, just shot you a PM... but if memory serves you need a certain number of posts to access the messages. If you do not receive it let me know. I may be able to hook you up.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Damn it, I just read Wades advertisement of a 25% off sale at Thurston and got all excited....until I realised the post was from 2011 :cry:

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Just saw this thread. I'm wondering why anyone would think $650 is a good deal for a leather jacket. Call me cheap but I would never pay half that for a jacket unless it was something custom made to my specs, and even then it'd have to be something really really special. Now a custom tailored suit is a different story. But I have some fantastic leather jackets that I didn't pay much more than $100 for new, and some used for even less. I just don't get it.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
If there were a handful of companies that charged less than $300 where the jackets were proven to be durable, were crafted by hand and passion, and were made from the best materials I'd buy one.

I think most of us here paid more than $650 for a jacket. Okay, I agree, for a jacket without a lining, it may appear a bit steep but considering you're paying for a garment that can last you a lifetime of daily use - something Schott certainly delivers - and, unlike a suit, is actually practically useful, well, I think such a thing has to be worth that kind of money. And more.

IXL

One Too Many
Just saw this thread. I'm wondering why anyone would think $650 is a good deal for a leather jacket. Call me cheap but I would never pay half that for a jacket unless it was something custom made to my specs, and even then it'd have to be something really really special. Now a custom tailored suit is a different story. But I have some fantastic leather jackets that I didn't pay much more than $100 for new, and some used for even less. I just don't get it.

Care to elaborate on brand and model of these fantastic jackets? I'm sure I speak for many here in stating we are always looking for such bargains.
Thanks.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think most of us here paid more than $650 for a jacket. Okay, I agree, for a jacket without a lining, it may appear a bit steep but considering you're paying for a garment that can last you a lifetime of daily use - something Schott certainly delivers - and, unlike a suit, is actually practically useful, well, I think such a thing has to be worth that kind of money. And more.

Good point.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I guess it comes down to what you think constitutes a good jacket, as fit and quality are subjective. At $100 I would be concerned about a. where the materials were coming from, and b. where it was being produced and by whom.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
A leather jacket without a lining may be subject to higher quality construction standards, given that you can see all of the seams, etc., so more care has to be put into the finishing, since it is exposed. At least that holds true with tailored wool clothing.

Regarding the unlined CR in question, I've seen this jacket in person long time ago and it was as good a jacket as anyone can hope for. Superbly constructed jacket, made from a surprisingly thick leather. I personally could not have gotten used to the lack of lining, but despite this, I think it was worth the money. Schott makes great gear.
Undoubtedly, quality $100 jackets do exist, but I'd always rather go with a company I trust because, as I said already, for me, buying a leather jacket is investing into something I plan on having and relying upon for a long time and I'd rather not risk it with cheap alternatives that may start falling apart after a year of wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82