Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 613 "One Star" how old?

guygardner

A-List Customer
Just picked up what I believe to be a 613 Schott "one star," although it is missing the star. The previous owner also cut off the belt and ripped out the Schott tag. I was wondering if anyone has any idea how old it might be, and just to confirm that it is indeed the Schott 613. It has Talon zippers and plain nickel snaps without a logo. Pockets are lined with white cotton, it has a quilted lining and black cotton sleeve linings.
Jacket seems like it's in otherwise great condition with just a few threads coming loose. Leather is nice and soft after being worked in but also thick.

IMG_4702.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4703.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4704.jpg
[/IMG]

Edward

Bartender
The original 613 One Star was on sale in the late forties / early fifties, before being replaced by the 618 which was absent the stars on epaulettes, otherwise identical. There have been various special editions and revivals of the 613 over the years, though, so it might also be one of those. Currently Schott have this rendition of the 613 one sale:

http://www.schottnyc.com/products/fit/fitted/one-star-perfecto-leather-motorcycle.htm

Interestingly, the stars on this one are very much in the middle of the epaulettes. On the originals, they were closer the outer edge, but these look to be towards the middle. Of course, Brando's Strabler jacket (whether it was a Schott Perfecto or no, and there is some debate on that) had the stars added by the costume department, and they were put in the middle of the epaulette rather than the correct (for the original 613) position, so this may well be a reflection of that. Schott, of course, maintain that Brando's jacket wad indeed one of their own. I have no reason to doubt it myself, but I know there are those who do.

Peacoat

Bartender
From one of the pictures it appears your jacket may be horsehide. Does it have a one piece back? Can you see the holes where the stars would have been placed? If it is HH and has a one piece back, it may well be a 1940s/early 1950s 613 One Star. If it has no holes on the epaulettes, then it could be a 618, as Edward noted above. If it is steer and not horse, then I have no idea of its era.

guygardner

A-List Customer
It's a one-panel back above the usual bottom rear panel (back waist panel). I think it's steerhide but I'm not entirely certain. I don't see any holes where the stars could have been attached to the epaulettes, but it does look identical to the 613 Schott has on their website, but with older Talon zippers.

I really like the design of this jacket, but will end up parting with it as it is about a size and a half too large at 42 for me.

Edward

Bartender
Zip looks '70s to me.

I'd guess so too.

From one of the pictures it appears your jacket may be horsehide. Does it have a one piece back? Can you see the holes where the stars would have been placed? If it is HH and has a one piece back, it may well be a 1940s/early 1950s 613 One Star. If it has no holes on the epaulettes, then it could be a 618, as Edward noted above. If it is steer and not horse, then I have no idea of its era.

As far as I can determine, the original 613s were horse; current reissues are steer, and still have the stars. I'd guess 70s era 618, but it's just that - a guess. Schott's own website has a pretty active forum to which the company contributes - you might find they can date it for you. I gather they are very helpful like that.

Mysteryo

One Too Many
Hi, guys!
Sorry to re-activate this old thread (btw, I'd like veeeeery much to see the previous picts posted by Guy Gardner!!), but I thought it might be the place to share...

I found this incredible Schott Perfecto 618/613 One Star Perfecto, which i suspect to be from the early 60's.

Steerhide

Black Ribbon Tag used from mid-50's to early 60's

rounded epaulets, lined with coton drill

Double stitched most every where

plein cuffs ( non separated at between zippers)

Vinyl part inside kidney strap and back of the belt

No football gussets

Size tag inside zipper pocket says 42

Enjoy!

IMG_9967rz.jpg
IMG_9966rz.jpg
IMG_9965rz.jpg
IMG_9968.jpg
IMG_9964rz.jpg
IMG_9963rz.jpg
IMG_9962rz.jpg
IMG_9961rz.jpg

Hi, guys!
Sorry to re-activate this old thread (btw, I'd like veeeeery much to see the previous picts posted by Guy Gardner!!), but I thought it might be the place to share...

I found this incredible Schott Perfecto 618/613 One Star Perfecto, which i suspect to be from the early 60's.

Steerhide

Black Ribbon Tag used from mid-50's to early 60's

rounded epaulets, lined with coton drill

Double stitched most every where

plein cuffs ( non separated at between zippers)

Vinyl part inside kidney strap and back of the belt

No football gussets

Size tag inside zipper pocket says 42

Enjoy!

View attachment 53052 View attachment 53053 View attachment 53054 View attachment 53055 View attachment 53056 View attachment 53057 View attachment 53058 View attachment 53059

Argh, if only any of my Perfectos was as perfect as this! It's perfect. Also, no collar snaps. I've noticed just a few days ago that my Schott CR is also double stitched at many parts, while neither the 641 or the 641XX is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun