Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 141 fit

One of the Regulars
Hello Jeff;
The Schott 141 Cafe jacket will be your 44 regular size, because it's not a tight fit jacket like the 641HH.If you like a tight fit go with a 42, if it's going to be use for casual go with a 44.
I hope this help.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
hi...thought i'd offer a counter view on schott sizing. i'm actually a 42 suit jacket size, and have found schott, along with other manufacturers such as vanson, are sized to be skin tite (sp on purpose).

i ordered a 184sm new and thought with a 42 coat size a 46 would be fine. what i got was a jacket that technically correct, but tightly fitted, and would rise way above my belt line when i'd lift an arm. i finally had to resell it.

now, that's a rather loose fitting design, i know that cafe racers and motorcycle jackets always are designed with a tighter fit than military/casual designs like the 184sm because of the wind drag issues on a bike, as well as road burn if you go down...loose fitting is less protective.

so even if the 141 is not more fitted than their 184sm, by my experience you might rank a 46 or 48. however, i'm assuming their cafe racer style is MORE fitted than a 184sm casual/faux military style...which definitely would suggest a 46, or 48.

my 80 cents for what it's worth, albeit based on experience with schott. best you can do is email their customer service your actual inch sizes and the type of fit you'd like from whatever jacket you are purchasing, and they'll give you their very learned suggestion.

note: though this doesn't apply directly, i've found vanson fitting is similar to schott, i am a 42 suit jacket but take a 48 in a vanson mercury jacket if i want it to fit with enough room to raise my arms...46 if i want it skin tight. just some added info.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
hi...thought i'd offer a counter view on schott sizing. i'm actually a 42 suit jacket size, and have found schott, along with other manufacturers such as vanson, are sized to be skin tite (sp on purpose).

i ordered a 184sm new and thought with a 42 coat size a 46 would be fine. what i got was a jacket that technically correct, but tightly fitted, and would rise way above my belt line when i'd lift an arm. i finally had to resell it.

now, that's a rather loose fitting design, i know that cafe racers and motorcycle jackets always are designed with a tighter fit than military/casual designs like the 184sm because of the wind drag issues on a bike, as well as road burn if you go down...loose fitting is less protective.

so even if the 141 is not more fitted than their 184sm, by my experience you might rank a 46 or 48. however, i'm assuming their cafe racer style is MORE fitted than a 184sm casual/faux military style...which definitely would suggest a 46, or 48.

my 80 cents for what it's worth, albeit based on experience with schott. best you can do is email their customer service your actual inch sizes and the type of fit you'd like from whatever jacket you are purchasing, and they'll give you their very learned suggestion.

note: though this doesn't apply directly, i've found vanson fitting is similar to schott, i am a 42 suit jacket but take a 48 in a vanson mercury jacket if i want it to fit with enough room to raise my arms...46 if i want it skin tight. just some added info.

That's extraordinary information - to think you have to go up that many sizes for a fit. Puts me off.

norton123

New in Town
I've owned both Vanson and a Schott 141 and while the Vanson's have a snug fit the 42 Schott I had fit fairly loose on me. Definitely over sized, especially thru the waist. Just my 2 cents.

I have a Schott (amongst others) 184SML in a 50. SInce the "L" is Long, it's OK for me. I normally wear a 52 Long. Mind you, it's nowhere near tight. I have a USWings G1 and it's a 3XL, which is "Military" fit - meaning tight, or snug, or trim. Every maker is different. Schott's jackets, IMHO, are more modern US types - i.e., loose(r) fit.
Don't own any of their motorcycle models, but I've ridden for over 30 years and Schott would probably not be my choice for those reasons. Riding jackets (IMHO) need to be tight to work well. I've had Vanson and others which fit the bill nicely.

IXL

One Too Many
I am a size 42 reg and have both Vanson and Schott. I have a Schott style 141 in size 42 and it fits well in the shoulders and is, maybe, a little roomy in the waist. This is not to imply that it is too big in the waist, just not skin tight. I do have room for layering just a bit. A size 40 might work if the shoulders don't get much smaller.
The Vanson garments, all in size 42, fit a bit more snugly in the waist than does the Schott 141.
I don't think it would be wise to up-size the Schott. Contact Gail at Schott and she can help you get the right size.
Good luck.

ShrunkinCowboy

New in Town
IMO, unless you have a nice slim-n'-trim torso, expect Cafe Racer jackets to be a very TIGHT fit in your regular size?
Vintage Cafe Racer jackets will be even tighter in that regard!?
Unless you can actually try one on, it's gonna be a real crap-shoot to order one on-line???

Steve

Redbeard77

New in Town
I just picked up a 141 and was surprised at how big it is compared to what I had read. I typically wear a 42 so that's what I ordered, and while the fit is right for a casual jacket, I'd prefer a tighter fit for a riding jacket. Also, I'm skinny, so the stomach area was much larger than I'd like (I expected the jacket to have more taper toward the waist). I since learned that the 641 supposedly has a more tapered cut, so I'll give that a try. But overall, the 141 is as good looking and well made as everyone says. Now if I can just get one that fits without going full custom...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centurionslut