Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

School Supplies Overload

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
Lincsong said:
I could never understand "summer reading lists":eusa_doh: When school started, there were no tests on the books.:eek: So it seemed like a waste of time. ....

it is never a waste of of time to read no matter whether a test is coming or not. kids need to read all the time, especially in the summer.

heck the whole notion of summer vacation is outdated. kids should be going to school all year, with short vacations here and there. 2-3 months off is nuts. younger kids forget what they have learned and it seems the first part of school is trying to get back up to speed.

my kids are all grown, but i do NOT remember having to buy supplies for them, not like today anyway.

the lottery in calif was to bring in money for schools and i am like everyone else asking, where is that money going? why do parents have to raise money for band instruments and uniforms. why do booster clubs have to help out with sports uniforms and travel. why do kids have to buy their own glue! why do teachers have to buy supplies?

where is the money!?

it is time to say no more.

rsg

RedShoesGirl said:
it is never a waste of of time to read no matter whether a test is coming or not. kids need to read all the time, especially in the summer.

heck the whole notion of summer vacation is outdated. kids should be going to school all year, with short vacations here and there. 2-3 months off is nuts. younger kids forget what they have learned and it seems the first part of school is trying to get back up to speed.

my kids are all grown, but i do NOT remember having to buy supplies for them, not like today anyway.

the lottery in calif was to bring in money for schools and i am like everyone else asking, where is that money going? why do parents have to raise money for band instruments and uniforms. why do booster clubs have to help out with sports uniforms and travel. why do kids have to buy their own glue! why do teachers have to buy supplies?

where is the money!?

it is time to say no more.

rsg

I agree but what do you suggest we do? I have been int he no more chorus for decades now. A great majority of the people in my area (65%) are in the more and more category. They are easily duped into handing over more and more without any clear evcidence of what happened to the money we give them every year. They give themselves more raised and more benefits fromt he top down---including the school board. I and a few other activists even found 3,000,000 that they had covered up in a LAIF fund off the books. I am sure there are dozens of accounts like that across the state. Hide the case and cry poormouth. :eusa_doh:
My breaking point is finally reached. I have had it with government schools. :rage: So my rallying cry now is private school. I pay therefore I can get in and demand action with accountability. Try that at you local School Bored. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm pretty convinced that if, upon learning to read, I could have had, if it had existed, supervised access to the internet, I could have learned at least as much as I had in my public education career, if not more.

dean

Rosie

One Too Many
Lincsong said:
Lockers? It is ridiculous that school districts are trying to eliminate lockers. My, gosh, the janitors in California are paid $60,000 plus a year and they can't maintain lockers?:rage: Another goldbrick job if there ever was.:rage: They produce nothing, and only have to maintain the premises. I've seen fields turn brown because the school district won't turn on the well water so they can claim poor mouth.

Ah! The janitors here make that amount and more, (more than teachers who have been working the same amount of time and reqiure much more education) anyway, last year, almost everyday the janitor for my floor in school kept telling me to close the windows before I left for the day because he had to close them. :eek: I told him, rather nicely I might add that closing the windows wasn't that big a deal AND, it was his job! Another teacher told me the janitor on her floor told her her classroom was too dirty everyday, dirtier than the other classrooms and it took him longer to sweep it!

Story

I'll Lock Up
Rosie,
Look at it this way - 20 years from now, who'se going to remember the name of their janitor?

And for the record: Mrs Gertz - French teacher, grades 5 thru 8. ;)

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I actually remember the name of the janitor at my grade school, Mr. Siebal- not sure of spelling. Of course back in the 1950s janitors actually were actually productive.:)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I remember them

The janitors. Mr. Steely. And then there was Haas, who had a serious learning disability (though at the time he was "slightly retarded"). It was the only job he could have gotten, probably.
You tend to remember the name of the guy who had to come clean up the mess when Billy got sick and threw up in class. (Right next to the teacher's desk - remember? Billy came stumbling up to her with his hand over his mouth to say "teacher, I think I'm gonna be si..."
Haas gave the added entertainment of identifying Billy's stomach contents and giving an impromptu lecture on the merits of careful chewing.

lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88