Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scala hats

Lorne

One of the Regulars
Hello all,

Can anyone tell me anything about Scala hats? I know they are moderately priced, and you get what you pay for, but anyone have details?

Lorne D. Gilsig

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
I have one. It is a wool outback style that I picked up at REI for camping and backpacking. Now that I have some nice fur felts, I don't wear the Scala as much but if the weather is really bad, that's the one I grab. It is crushable and seems to shed water/snow/sleet/etc. very well.

For the price, it's a good starter hat. Plus, when camping, I'm not going to take my VS; I will take the Scala.

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

I have only one Scala, a fur felt fedora that I got off of eBay. I think it's an older one, even though it was new with the tag still on it, as it was sized (7 1/8) and not the S/M/L that I see all the others listed as. I can't find any references to sized Scala hats anywhere else, either.

It's not a particularly great fur felt, but it's not bad, either. The crown has some taper to it and the bash is factory and doesn't take a rebash - although I have yet to try using steam on it in this regard.

Since I gave all of $20 for it, I can say that it was a pretty good deal. It wears well, anyway. :)

Later!

Stan

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have had one Scala fedora in the last two years. On the whole I found the felt of acceptable quality, the design, less so. IMO the crown was too low & tapered.

ScottyBlues

Familiar Face
One of my favorites

I bougth a fur felt Scala from Western Hat Works in San Diego about 3 years ago, and it's one of my favorites. The felt is very soft and flexible and it seems to be very well made.

I don't generally think of Scala as one of the better brands, but after buying this hat I'll check them out more.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
I have two fur felt Scala Romo's that I recently picked up for "end of the season" prices from The Hatterie in Akron, Ohio, near where I live, and I am very pleased with the quality-especially considering what I paid for them-around $52.00 each.

mingoslim

Practically Family
Ditto that . . .

Rick Blaine said:
I have had one Scala fedora in the last two years. On the whole I found the felt of acceptable quality, the design, less so. IMO the crown was too low & tapered.

The crowns are pretty low . . . and they do taper . . .
They also tend to shrink a bit . . .

Not bad hats, reallly, but you can do better for not much more . . .

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
I have a Scala hat with a wide, flat brim, mesh crown (sides of crown, the top is cloth), and chinstrap. I bought it for a canoe trip last summer, and it worked great. I don't know about their other hats, but this seems well-made for what it is. It kept the sun off my face and neck, kept my head cool, and mud rinsed right off of it with a swish in the lake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe