Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scala hats made in USA?

Musashi

One of the Regulars
I had read somewhere here that Scalas weren't too good (very paraphrased)... but a few weeks ago i had only 2 days to find my first Panama for my trip to the beach. For felts, I have a Dobbs, 2 Stetsons, and 1 VS.. none of those are for the beach!...

So I went to a hat shop in Norfolk to pick up a Panama retail in one trip. I compared a borsalino (out of my price range!) a Dobbs (too stiff!) and a Scala Panama, and I walked out of the shop with the Scala. I really like it. Its not the 'finest weave' or whatever, but it doesn't make my head sweat much, it is comfortable, and it keeps the sun off my receding hairline. Also I like the shape of it, the brim, crown, everything are nice. Overall I think its great and it was only $80 retail (probably couldve gotten it for $50 online but i needed it RIGHT NOW.) I think it's woven in ecuador and relabeled and such elsewhere perhaps. But i plan to wear it all summer. Back to the felts when theres a bit of a chill in the air.

I have a favorable opinion of my Scala Panama. In fact, its much more favorable than my opinion of my 2010 Stetson Whippet felt.. which cost twice as much and is of the same or lower construction quality. (BTW I love my older stetson.. 80's era probably)

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Musashi said:
I have a favorable opinion of my Scala Panama. In fact, its much more favorable than my opinion of my 2010 Stetson Whippet felt.. which cost twice as much and is of the same or lower construction quality. (BTW I love my older stetson.. 80's era probably)

Ugh! Reminds me just how volatile the hat game IS. I'm both elated and reserved about purchasing a new hat soon (I need it though... so, you know).

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Speaking of Scala Panamas...

I was in my one-and-only local hattery the other day when I spotted a good-looking one on display.

Sorry I don't remember the official model name, but it was a Gambler style in rather course grade 3 toquilla fiber with a 3 3/4-inch brim, and a slightly tapered 'round-about 4 1/2-inch telescope crown having an Optimo-style ridge down the center. It had a 12-ligne black grosgrain hatband and what looked to be a very substantial cotton sweat. Interestingly, green canvas was sewn on the underbrim to reduce glare and completely block any light from penetrating the straw.

The hat was stiff as a board, but I didn't see that so much an issue as its weight: I'd say the thing weighed close to a pound! At $80, I left it on the counter, but if you have a strong neck, it was a pretty decent quality, very spiffy summer hat.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Dorfman Pacific does get their better straws made in the USA. There is a factory in MA that makes decent straw hats. The reason is that China cant make a decent straw hat yet. They also make the straws for Capas , TLS and a few others. Stick to the grade 3-4 and grade 8's from Scala. The others arent worth the money. The factory can get better straws but their trimming is terrible.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Dorfman Pacific is the agent fo Christys here in the USA. The line os very different than what is sold in the UK. There, the hats are mainly made by Tonak while here the selection is much different.

steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Is the overall opinion that the UK Christys hats are of better quality?

I have credit card in hand for the purchase of a quality panama for my boyfriend, and admit that everything I know about Panamas comes from watching 'Poirot' so I really have a limited knowledge of Panamas (and a secret crush on David Suchet, but I'll save that for another thread).:eek: I saw a Christys Monticristi drop brim in a local hat shop. It was made in the USA and rather pricey at $279, but definitely a decent quality, but I know money doesn't always mean quality. Hornet Hats in the UK has two handsome hats I'm favoring: the Cuenca Frinto w/ an olive pleated band and the Cuenca 2/34 drop brim w/ black band. The prices are extremely reasonable. So reasonable, I'm curious about the quality.
http://www.hornetshats.com/f_hatview.php?link=Panamas

Gentlemen, your thoughts and opinions on this (the quality, style, Dorfman Pacific/Christys vs. UK Christys, etc.) are desired and appreciated.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Lily Powers said:
Is the overall opinion that the UK Christys hats are of better quality?

I have credit card in hand for the purchase of a quality panama for my boyfriend, and admit that everything I know about Panamas comes from watching 'Poirot' so I really have a limited knowledge of Panamas (and a secret crush on David Suchet, but I'll save that for another thread).:eek: I saw a Christys Monticristi drop brim in a local hat shop. It was made in the USA and rather pricey at $279, but definitely a decent quality, but I know money doesn't always mean quality. Hornet Hats in the UK has two handsome hats I'm favoring: the Cuenca Frinto w/ an olive pleated band and the Cuenca 2/34 drop brim w/ black band. The prices are extremely reasonable. So reasonable, I'm curious about the quality.
http://www.hornetshats.com/f_hatview.php?link=Panamas

Gentlemen, your thoughts and opinions on this (the quality, style, Dorfman Pacific/Christys vs. UK Christys, etc.) are desired and appreciated.

I have several of the Chisty's travel fedoras and I like them a lot. I ordered them fron Hornet's hats, so that would be the UK quality.

But as to getting a panama, you just can't beat going to Panama Bob. I have 3 of his, all obtained this summer, and they price/quality ratio is unbeatable.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Musashi said:
I walked out of the shop with the Scala. I really like it. Its not the 'finest weave' or whatever, but it doesn't make my head sweat much, it is comfortable, and it keeps the sun off my receding hairline. Also I like the shape of it, the brim, crown, everything are nice. Overall I think its great and it was only $80 retail (probably couldve gotten it for $50 online but i needed it RIGHT NOW.)

I found a Scala panama at a local department store this spring. They had it on clearance for $24. My observations echo yours and it's been my go to hat all summer.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Blackthorn said:
I have several of the Chisty's travel fedoras and I like them a lot. I ordered them fron Hornet's hats, so that would be the UK quality.

But as to getting a panama, you just can't beat going to Panama Bob. I have 3 of his, all obtained this summer, and they price/quality ratio is unbeatable.

Thank you, Blackthorn. I live near you, just on the coastal side of Hwy 17 where there's a rumor it's Summer. Maybe I should see if Panama Bob sells rain hats instead. I just looked at Panama Bob's website. The hats are exquisite and I like how he has close up photos of the weave. At first, the pricing is a bit intimidating, but then I saw all the options and it's not so bad. Will seriously pour over this on my lunch break.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Lily Powers said:
Thank you, Blackthorn. I live near you, just on the coastal side of Hwy 17 where there's a rumor it's Summer. Maybe I should see if Panama Bob sells rain hats instead. I just looked at Panama Bob's website. The hats are exquisite and I like how he has close up photos of the weave. At first, the pricing is a bit intimidating, but then I saw all the options and it's not so bad. Will seriously pour over this on my lunch break.
Howdy, neighbor! Our mornings are cold and foggy here, too, but the sun does come out by noon (no, really, it does!). :D

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
Just bought a Scala Panama safari light straw colored and really like it. It's not the finest weave but has a nice texture and is very light. It is a genuine Panama made in Ecuador for 98.00. Also bought a Scala straw hat for my wife, nice and looks really cute on her. It was on sale at half price for 25.00.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads