Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rule of thumb for hat ribbons?

Levallois

Practically Family
Afternoon folks,

I've got a Bradford "35" silverbelly "open road" that I want to turn into a wide-brim fedora-style - 3-inches wide to be exact. It has a very thin matching-color ribbon on it - 1/2-inch. I'd like to put a wider, contrasting ribbon - maybe a medium to dark gray color but I'm not sure about the width? How does one determine the proper width? Does the wider brim demand a certain width ribbon? I'd appreciate any guidance. Thanks!

John

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
I suspect this is largely an individual preference. I like a wide ribbon, but not too wide. "Too wide" for me is when the ribbon width approaches half the crown height of the hat. So, to me, around 1.75" looks good on a lot of hats. But I've certainly seen good looking hats with narrower ribbons.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A pet theory I have on this involves ratios. If the brim is 1 1/2", a ribbon of greater width will probably not be as sucessful, i.e., I prefer a less than 1:1 ratio ribbon to brim or 1:2 more ideally, or less, on the case of an Open road which is traditionally 3/8" ribbon to 2 3/4" to 3" brim, which I think would be roughly 1:8 ratio. I know that stingies tend to shoot the ratio up to 2:1 or higher but then I've never been drawn to them.

dean

Marcus Brody

Familiar Face
1.5" give or take, makes a good even width ribbon for a 3 inch brim hat. More important is the height of the hat. Do whatever looks best in your opinion.

Gareth

New in Town
I am trying to get all the ribbons on my made to order hats to about 2 3/4 inch, if not 3 inches. If you look at those old time movies, 30s 40s, the ribbons were often very wide

Gareth

New in Town
Vintage ribbon above 1 3/4" is very very hard to procure.
to be fair the relevant hatmakers have all been able to source 70mm for me which is close enough, I also have built up my own stash of 3 inch ribbon, although I don't have a clue how to put it on the hat!!!

to be fair the relevant hatmakers have all been able to source 70mm for me which is close enough, I also have built up my own stash of 3 inch ribbon, although I don't have a clue how to put it on the hat!!!
Is it vintage grosgrain? I have 8000 yards of vintage but running low on anything 24 ligne and up.

Gareth

New in Town
Is it vintage grosgrain? I have 8000 yards of vintage but running low on anything 24 ligne and up.
Well I can't compete with 8000 yards!! I have 2 or 3 yards only. It was billed as vintage but who knows? It is 3 inches wide.

1722759991714.jpeg

Well I can't compete with 8000 yards!! I have 2 or 3 yards only. It was billed as vintage but who knows? It is 3 inches wide.

View attachment 631043
It is looking like Petersham ribbon as it appears to have the scalloped edges. Men's hatting ribbon has a straight woven edge. Both are called grosgrain but Petersham is generally used by milliners on hats for women. The woven edge is used on men's hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads