Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rough-In motorcycle jacket

Ben Langworthy

New in Town
Picked up this Rough In steerhide jacket from a local car boot sale in London today. II's certainly seen some action but is in pretty solid condition overall. I've read that Rough In jackets are fairly scarce so I thought I'd post some images. Sorry they're not the best quality and for the shine, this they were taken directly after an dose of Pecard's

IMG_6556.JPG

IMG_6558.JPG

IMG_6553.JPG

Sadly the other half of the zipper has had it so I'll need to try to find it a replacement.

IMG_6559.JPG

jeo

One Too Many
Beautiful! Thank you for posting! There was a recent discussion about these jackets. You usually see them with a Sears label. The ones with this exact steerhide label that’s on your jacket are identified as being made by Rough Wear. “Rough In” was a line or sub brand of Rough Wear who was most known for their contracts to make the WWII A-2 jackets. But they were also very prolific in making jackets for other brands/labels such as Sears and others. There are other versions of this jacket that have a different leather label than this, with the maker still unknown.

Ben Langworthy

New in Town
Beautiful! Thank you for posting! There was a recent discussion about these jackets. You usually see them with a Sears label. The ones with this exact steerhide label that’s on your jacket are identified as being made by Rough Wear. “Rough In” was a line or sub brand of Rough Wear who was most known for their contracts to make the WWII A-2 jackets. But they were also very prolific in making jackets for other brands/labels such as Sears and others. There are other versions of this jacket that have a different leather label than this, with the maker still unknown.
Thank you for all your help! I thought that it was a civilian Rough Wear, but I didn't realise they'd made the identical pattern for other labels. It's really interesting to see some other examples. Mine is in decent shape overall. the lining is detached around the collar and it's missing the press studs on the lapels and then there's the issue with the zip. that said its a beautiful jacket and very wearable. I'd really love to track down a replacement for the damaged side of the zipper as I'd like to avoid replacing it entirely if can.

Ben Langworthy

New in Town
I was also wondering, does anyone know if there is a record of this model in any of the old sales catalogs? it would be great to find out the specific year(s) it was available.

again thank you all for all the help!

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I was also wondering, does anyone know if there is a record of this model in any of the old sales catalogs? it would be great to find out the specific year(s) it was available.

again thank you all for all the help!
Look at the 50's sear catalog. Perhaps T can help you out with the year? Very smart for you to replace the one side of the zip. I do have some complete zips.
Good luck with your restoration. Finally, this zip job is something YOU can do. No machine needed. If you need help in the procedure, see me. I can help. "Si se puede".

Ben Langworthy

New in Town
Look at the 50's sear catalog. Perhaps T can help you out with the year? Very smart for you to replace the one side of the zip. I do have some complete zips.
Good luck with your restoration. Finally, this zip job is something YOU can do. No machine needed. If you need help in the procedure, see me. I can help. "Si se puede".
Thanks for your help, I was hoping to do the repair by hand so as to use the original stitch holes. I'd love to hear your procedure for this? I've repaired a few seams before using a saddle stitch, would this be your advise here?

I've just got to find the appropriate replacement part in the U.K. now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany