Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rollable Panama

TrevDoc

New in Town
Hi,

Just purchased a $175 montecristi fedora from Panamahatsdirect, for travelling.

I am looking for advice on making it rollable or not.

My last Tumi Panama was rollable and I have a travel tube but I am forever straightening the brim and after 3 years the crown now has a hole in it. Just wondering what others do?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
At first I bought a hat case, which I still use sometimes, but it's about as convenient as you would imagine an additional carry on bag would be.

I've since grown an appreciation for the shantung faux Panama hat. I have a ventilated OR that is relatively stiff (certainly more so than a natural straw), but that means I have no worries stashing it under the seat, or sticking on the side (I'm usually window seat if I have a choice). No, they're not quite as elegant as a true Panama, but a rumpled brim is not going to be an issue. For me, the trade off of convenience and not having to worry about treating my hat like a baby is worth it to have a slightly less classy hat. Bonus: they're water resistant.

Olumin

Familiar Face
There are rollable panamas, they are always of the "Optimo" style, with the ridge down the centre. Hats like that are very finely woven and quite pricey, in other words not the kind of hat you'd wanna roll. Rolling any hat will eventually cause it to go out of shape, and might eventually cause damage. It has to be very finely woven because it needs to be very soft and pliable.

A panama in any style other than Optimo will not roll well, they're not designed for that. They will take damage much faster. The Optimo was designed for being rolled, that's what the ridge is for. I'm not talking about the brand Optimo, but the shape.

Hemp milan hats are rollable once they're softened up a bit. They're the only hats (made from natural materials) I know of that will survive being rolled just fine, outside of cloth hats. They make similar hats out of paper straw, I have no idea if those perform similarly.

RBH

Bartender
Whenever I have travelled on an airplane, the hat travels on my head.
As long as it is not an inconvenience to other travelers.
The decorum on an airplane is very laid back, a hat on someone's head will not disrupt the situation.
I also usually carry a plastic bag [big enough to fit the hat in] in my back pocket.
I use it for the odd times I have to store it.

TrevDoc

New in Town
Thanks for everyone’s reply. Panama hats direct do offer a roll up upgrade to their hats. I think they remove the lining and pinch protectors. They also seem to make the band smaller and add a central ridge.

Seems like the view is that I should stay away from this upgrade?

The challenge I have is that my wife is not very well, so I am already pushing multiple cases. Having the hat safely rolled up may of been useful but it sounds like it is not worth the damage it will cause.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1