Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reweaving

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Anyone have any experience or recommendations for reweaving. I took a suit in and the shop estimated about $30 a hole, which seems fairly standard. But an article from the NY times mentioned three shops in NY that all start around fifteen a hole.

Are there any shops overseas that can do it for cheap/ I suppose shipping might get you. maybe a business opportunity to have it done in China or whatever.

Anyone have a good recommendation and an idea of cost?

mike

Call Me a Cab
reetpleat said:
Anyone have any experience or recommendations for reweaving. I took a suit in and the shop estimated about $30 a hole, which seems fairly standard. But an article from the NY times mentioned three shops in NY that all start around fifteen a hole.

Are there any shops overseas that can do it for cheap/ I suppose shipping might get you. maybe a business opportunity to have it done in China or whatever.

Anyone have a good recommendation and an idea of cost?

Could you share who the suggested places in NYC are please?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
reetpleat said:
an article from the NY times mentioned three shops in NY that all start around fifteen a hole.
Who were the reweavers mentioned? The top two in NYC are French American Reweavers or Alice Zotta, both start at around $35.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Place near my office is one of the few in the country I guess. Seems about $30 a hole.

Gentlemen, no jokes please. This is a respectable establishment.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
reetpleat said:
I looked at the top and it was NY Times October, but then I just looked below and this was from 1992
That's happened to me more than once. :eek:

der schneider

One of the Regulars
my local reweaver passed away a long time back.

Dad didnt teach me that art he said it will make me go blind.

I have used a place in chicago It's been a while but I think they were called weavemasters

they fixed 3 triangular cuts my niece put in a nice tick weave suit when she found my scissors. Kids!!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
$30/a hole for repair is very reasonable. But, being the clothing experimenter that I am, I went to my local rug cleaner/repair with an order and spoke to the gentlemen there (Iranian, who are some of the best experts on Persian rugs, cleaning and repair) and asked very nicely if they would consider repairing my moth holes in my suit.

After asking if I was serious and making faces, they repaired it much cheaper. However, I will state for the record they did an excellent job but did not *bind* the woven fabric to the repair, so it started deteriorating and the hole(s) started re-appearing again. If I had to do it again, I'd go to the right persons to start with.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
A jacket in classifieds got me thinking about this (wish it had fit).

Where would one go to learn this skill? Are there any bits online about it?

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
Learning Re-weaving

I am afraid it’s another about to be lost "black art" as they say. A causality of the readily available and relatively cheep clothing and throwaway society we live in. At 30 to 60 dollars, a hole, it is usually cheaper to replace said garment. Vintage clothing would be an exception to the rule, but as you can guess that will be a too small a market for most tailors business to support.
Yes, their are some sites about reweaving:
http://www.reweave.com/faq.htm ,
A book: http://www.awesomeguides.com/money_maker_reweaving_book_tailor_sewing.htm
Examples:
http://www.withoutatrace.com/reweaving.html http://www.overthemoondesigns.com/Repairing_Fabric_Threads.htm
Google as usual and spend hours researching.

I have only done a few very small repairs myself. You will need some powerful reading glasses and / or a large lighted mounted magnifying glass. You take some material from another part of the garment, perhaps a seam or pocket. For a very small hole, you unweave the fabric to provide the threads. Then first building the basic crosshatch across the hole and then fill in by weaving over and under the cross hatch and finishing some distance into the surrounding fabric. You will need to put an iron-on patch behind or use one of the liquid thread locker glues to keep the repair from unraveling and to survive washing. Bigger holes are the same except you make an oversized patch from a section of the material that matches the pattern at the damaged spot and then unweave the edges and then weave the “tassels” into the surrounding fabric. I have also done what I call a cookie cutter repair using a hole punch to make a clean hole around the damaged spot. Then cutting a new plug, using the same punch in a seam (matching the pattern of course) and fitting it in the hole and using a thin iron-on patch for backing and using liquid stitch around the edges (glue stuff mentioned above) to keep the ends from fraying. It worked satisfactorily on a jacket, but makes a slightly stiff spot, so would depend on the location.
You will probably have to just practice and teach yourself. I have not read the book, so I can’t make a personal recommendation but I imagine its one of the few printed resources out there. Perhaps buy a practice garment from the thrift and practice on it.
:D Hope this helps!

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I'm reviving this thread because I too wonder if there's an overseas or small town source for more affordable reweaving.

I'm in no rush for the work I'd like to have done, so I wouldn't hesitate to have it done through the mail, but I can't afford it if I have to pay NYC prices (and I just had really bad luck with Zotta reweaving, so I can't recommend that outlet, price aside).

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc has given good marks to Japanese Reweavers in Santiago, Chile. They charge like a third of the price that US shops charge but I don't think they're set up for any mail order business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delrey486