Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Revisited: The Double-breasted Blazer

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Jovan said:
I think there'd still be a number of guys interested, as some can still be worn as sportcoats. But keep in mind, some coats will look much more orphaned than others. Namely double breasted pinstriped type dealies.

While I may generally agree with you, if the pinstripe is subtle enough I don't feel as if the jacket will seem "orphaned"...For instance, I wore a 6x2 brown with a subtle blue pinstripe jacket with cream pants that have a blue windowpane pattern and received quite a few compliments...

To Grace: Naturally, people won't be willing to pay quite as much for an orphaned coat...However, many would definitely be interested (including me!!)...Would you mind giving a description of the jacket you saw?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
slicedbread said:
if the pinstripe is subtle enough I don't feel as if the jacket will seem "orphaned"..
I think that it will always have an orphaned look about it, but it think that can be done.

This looks good, to my eye, but then I love flannel with suede shoes.

IMG_3037_edited-1.jpg

Grace

Vendor
Oh, yes, I know people won't be willing to pay as much as they would for a full suit. I was just wondering if they would be worth saving, cleaning, photographing, measureing, etc.

For instance, a few weeks ago there was a bright blue 40s DB jacket,with a faint light blue pinstripe. Boy, was it good looking! I passed because the pants were nowhere to be found.

Then yesterday, at a private buy, was a larger sized DB 40s blazer with wide nice, wide lapels, sort of a butterscotch color with a very subtle window pane pattern. It made my heart go pitter patter, but alas, no pants.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Tomasso said:
I think that it will always have an orphaned look about it, but it think that can be done.

IMG_3037_edited-1.jpg

I suppose I was using orphaned as meaning "out of place"...I don't think that it would look out of palce...

Grace

Vendor
When I think of suit jackets being worn with unmatched slacks, I get an image of some smarmy private school kid a la 80s teen movies. does that make any sense to anyone other than me? lol

Jovan

Suspended
Tomasso said:

IMG_3037_edited-1.jpg
You use that picture all the time in defence of it, yet it still doesn't look right to me.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Grace said:
When I think of suit jackets being worn with unmatched slacks, I get an image of some smarmy private school kid a la 80s teen movies. does that make any sense to anyone other than me? lol

Makes perfect sense...But it is just an example of some people doing it wrong...

In sartorial lingo an orphaned jacket is one that has lost its trousers.

I understand that...However, many people use the term "orphaned" with a negative connotation as if to mean "out of place"

Grace said:

Yes but that is probably because you were thinking of Rob Lowe in Risky Business wearing jeans with a orphaned jacket. ;) :p That's not a good example.

Regards,

J

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Wait!

I think I see where we're getting confused. When you say orphan, do you mean orphan: a person who has lost his parents or orphan: frequently?

;)

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Grace said:
Here's a question for the fellas:

When I'm buying stock for my site, I often run across the the jacket of a 40s suit, with no slacks. My husband hates the look of a jacket with non matched slacks.

Just yesterday I had the opportunity to buy the coolest 40s DB jacket, but passed because there were no slacks.

Would you fellas still be interested if it were only the jacket?

Speaking from experience and observation, db jackets without slacks are very hard to sell. You get the occasional person going ot a swing dance, who wants to get by on the cheap, or maybe a dark blue one will ssell as a sportcoat, or a very large or unusual style. But in general, as cool and rare as they are, they are not very sellable.

But by all means, look in the pants section for the matching pants. Not always, but sometimes you get lucky.

I once found a 40s white rayon db jacket in a thrift store, and found the pants without a tag. A true Ice cream suit The guy would not sell them, and I was only in town for the day. I had to plead with the manager, show him they matched, tell him I was leaving town, and it was perfect for my friend. He finally sold. 2 days later, $200 bucks from my friend Roberto of cityvintage. Kaching.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Grace said:

YOu are probably thinking of sportcoats or blazers. Common privat school wear with grey tan or white slacks. Most people don't wear them these days, but they are still often a private shool uniform.

Jovan

Suspended
Some private school uniforms that include blazers can be quite classy, IMO.

And then there are those that have a robe in place of the blazer. I'd personally keep your kids away from that school, since they'll enter them in a deadly contest without so much as your consent.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike, K., I'm glad you brought this topic up, and thanks for the options. I don't have a navy blazer, and between your pic of DiCapprio and Alan C. in his flannel trousers, I am convinced that I need to get one post haste. I don't mind the brass buttons, but I think I like the more subtle matched buttons on DiCapprio's jacket slightly better. How do the buttons affect the formality of the jacket? Are brass buttons more casual, or is either acceptable in any situation where the jacket is acceptable?

aviator-01_l.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Alan, that is a sharp and classic combination you've put together. I like the way it instantly becomes more formal, simply with a different pair of pants. I like it so much I just went and bought a pair of grey flannel trousers, and am on the hunt for a navy DB blazer. Here's a question, though: Alan, you're wearing cordovan loafers with your combination, but as usual, you've cut off your head! What color hat would you wear or do you wear with that enemble? Would a greay still go, or would you go with a shade of brown?

The cream linen pants I have, but as far as shoes go...a pair of tan bucks with crepe soles, perhaps? My cordovan low quarters would be good, I suppose, but the question of the hat comes up again: grey or brown?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Mojave Jack said:
The cream linen pants I have, but the question of the hat comes up again: grey or brown?
If I'm wearing linen trousers, I'm wearing a straw hat.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken