Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Repair on a 1930s grizzly?

WealthyWanderer

New in Town
Hey guys. I recently bought this great 1930s horsehide grizzly jacket. Some of the stitching has come undone and I had reached out to Dena. Unfortunately she doesn’t do grizzlies anymore (no hard feelings)

Does anyone do grizzly repairs still? Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

recently I had slammed my car door in my hand and it’s swollen and rather shaky so due to my clumsiness, mending myself is out of the equation.

Attachments

• image9.jpeg
    image9.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 78
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 77
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 67
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 74
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 79

Biff42

One of the Regulars
Call Arrow leathercare if Dena won't take it. They can clean it and condition it as well as do the repair.

I've worked with both Dena and Arrow and had good experience with both.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Hey guys. I recently bought this great 1930s horsehide grizzly jacket. Some of the stitching has come undone and I had reached out to Dena. Unfortunately she doesn’t do grizzlies anymore (no hard feelings)

Does anyone do grizzly repairs still? Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

recently I had slammed my car door in my hand and it’s swollen and rather shaky so due to my clumsiness, mending myself is out of the equation.
Arrow leather Kansas City

Biff42

One of the Regulars
Do it your self. it is not that hard. The previous holes are there for the repair. You can doit take your time. If you need specific help. I can help you.

That jacket need's to be cleaned too. That's 90 years of funk right there.

WealthyWanderer

New in Town
Call Arrow leathercare if Dena won't take it. They can clean it and condition it as well as do the repair.

I've worked with both Dena and Arrow and had good experience with both.
Okay great! Thanks Biff for the recommendation. I’ll give them a call and see what they can do!

WealthyWanderer

New in Town
Do it your self. it is not that hard. The previous holes are there for the repair. You can doit take your time. If you need specific help. I can help you.
Sure thing. I’m open to hear your specific help. I know I can saddlestitch the leather back by hand. It’s the fur panel that’s difficult, hard to see where the original stitch holes are at

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Really does not look bad at all to me, but if you have any difficulties with any of the previous options, Johnson Leathers in San Francisco could likely help - give them a call...
Sorry to hear about your hand injury - that car door issue can really be a difficult one - hope you heal up soon!

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Sure thing. I’m open to hear your specific help. I know I can saddlestitch the leather back by hand. It’s the fur panel that’s difficult, hard to see where the original stitch holes are at

Magnifying glass. Also, the rips on the thread cut the mouton. Look at the wool side. Begin with it makes sense the thread would be based on properly overlaying the mouton on the jacket hide. Also, I have seen some glue used to help keep the two leather pieces taunt before the sewing. Similar to the zipper assembly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
girlmom