Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

red devil fit checks & evolution

VansonRider

A-List Customer
it’s complicated. I did a very in-depth post in a moto forum here:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=57787&highlight=Forcefield

But In brief:
Forcefield is the most protective (for the same thickness) or thinner for same protection, is the lightest, has (some) venting and decent coverage, but is not the cheapest and is stiff (though when body heat warms it it softens) .

D3O is nearly as protective thickness for thickness as forcefield, is the most flexible, has good venting but is heavy, some versions lack coverage and again it is not cheap.

SAS-TEC is generally thicker/a bit less protective, with not much venting but has many different shapes and sizes to choose from, is light (tho’ not as light as forcefield), flexible and cheap.

My own personal choices that I’ve made for kit I wear are forcefield level 2 for shoulders, elbow, knees and hips (with SAS-TEC for some jacket shoulders for max coverage) and D3O viper pro level 2 back protectors as they are nearly as protective as forcefield with big coverage and much more flexability.

if speccing a 1 piece suit for the track I’d probably not include an integral back protector and instead have space to wear a full length forcefield back protector with waist belt and shoulder harness that is separate from the suit and worn underneath. If money no object I’d get BKS to make me a made to measure race suit including the tech air airbag protection system.

I hope that helps! Ride safe.

My D3O experience happened 8 years ago, so I don’t know if it’s still applicable.

I had a jacket come with D3O armor, and I really liked it. It felt dense, would soften up within a few minutes of putting on the jacket, and I’d does harden on impact.

One spring, after maybe 3 years of service, I took the jacket off its hanger and put it on, but the sleeve felt weird and lumpy. Opening the armor pocket revealed that the D3O had broken in half. While in the closet.

No impact, never had a get off in the jacket, didn’t wash or dry it, no environmental reason for them to break at all. It was really odd.

I inspected the rest of the armor and the D3O in the other elbow broke in half when I flexed it, and the back pad cracked but didn’t break. The shoulders seemed fine, but I didn’t trust them.

I have no idea if they’ve updated the formula, or if my set was just defective, but I decided not to use D3O any more.

yellowfever

One of the Regulars
My D3O experience happened 8 years ago, so I don’t know if it’s still applicable.

I had a jacket come with D3O armor, and I really liked it. It felt dense, would soften up within a few minutes of putting on the jacket, and I’d does harden on impact.

One spring, after maybe 3 years of service, I took the jacket off its hanger and put it on, but the sleeve felt weird and lumpy. Opening the armor pocket revealed that the D3O had broken in half. While in the closet.

No impact, never had a get off in the jacket, didn’t wash or dry it, no environmental reason for them to break at all. It was really odd.

I inspected the rest of the armor and the D3O in the other elbow broke in half when I flexed it, and the back pad cracked but didn’t break. The shoulders seemed fine, but I didn’t trust them.

I have no idea if they’ve updated the formula, or if my set was just defective, but I decided not to use D3O any more.
Thanks for sharing this experience, that is disappointing and alarming! I’ve never experienced/seen/heard of anything similar but I’ll be keeping a close eye on my D3O back pads given what you experienced….

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Averroes