Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommended movies from the golden era only

IncliningPizza

New in Town
Two words are all you need to get you started:

Roman. Holiday.

After that:

Notorious
The Country Girl
Top Hat
The Lavender Hill Mob

I'll get back to you. xD

Naphtali

Practically Family
"The Westerner" (Gary Cooper, Walter Brennan; directed - William Wyler) 1940.

"Prisoner of Zenda" (Ronald Colman(SP??), Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.) 1937.

"Corsican Brothers" (Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Ruth Warrick) 1941.

"Torrid Zone" (James Cagney, Ann Sheridan) 1940.

"Brother Orchid" (Edward G. Robinson, Ann Southern) 1940.

"Slight Case of Murder" (Edward G. Robinson, Allen Jenkins) 1938.

"Sea Wolf" (Edward G. Robinson, John Garfield) 1941.

Enjoy

Woland

One of the Regulars
criss-cross-movie-poster-1020414127.jpg

Criss Cross, wonderful Film Noir from 49.
Seem to remember Burt Lancaster in a very nice Norfolk... ;-)

street_with_no_name.jpg

The Street with No Name might be my favourite.
Richard Widmark plays "Stiles", the somewhat unstable head of a very nasty gang, which "likes his boys to be well dressed".
Incidentally; "Stiles" made hero status amongst bad boys globally, as the quintessence of well dressed gangsters.
Strangely enough amongst the Tsotsis (more info here) of pre-apartheid South Africa.

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Criss Cross, wonderful Film Noir from 49.
Seem to remember Burt Lancaster in a very nice Norfolk... ;-)

The Street with No Name[/URL] might be my favourite.
Richard Widmark plays "Stiles", the somewhat unstable head of a very nasty gang, which "likes his boys to be well dressed".
Incidentally; "Stiles" made hero status amongst bad boys globally, as the quintessence of well dressed gangsters.
Strangely enough amongst the Tsotsis (more info here) of pre-apartheid South Africa.

Criss Cross is one of my favorites, especially since it takes place in Los Angeles (And what a great ending with Duryea, starkly lit from the headlights behind him, and enveloping the doorway like an avenging "angel.") As far as hats go, Lancaster is never seen wearing one; at the beginning of the flashback, when he gets off the bus in front of his mother's house in Bunker Hill, he has a hat in his hand, but never puts it on. His being hatless throughout the film is perhaps representative of the post-WWII attitude of younger men in L.A. (Stephen McNally does wear a fedora in the movie, though.)

The Street With No Name, although it never mentions its actual locale, was also filmed in L.A. Stiles' affection for clothing, his seeming disinterest in his wife, and his body language when speaking to Stevens' character, have led some critics to posit that he was more than professionally interested in the latter.

Last edited:

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
Detour (it's well worth mentioning again)
Dinner At Eight
The Blue Dahlia
My Man Godfrey
Johnny Eager
The Postman Always Rings Twice
Anna Christie
Born To Kill

And for a contemporary take on film noir, Body Heat with William Hurt and Kathleen Turner.

BobinABQ

New in Town
All 6 of the Thin Man Series (Powell & Loy)
Bob Hope-'Road To...' series and My Favorite (insert Blonde/Brunette/Spy) series
Laura (love Gene Tierney & Dana Andrews)
Best Years of our Lives-worth mentioning again (another Dana Andrews)
D.O.A.
Out of the Past (early Kirk Douglas)
Night Nurse, Baby Face (very racy for its time) and Miracle Woman (very early Barbara Stanwyck)
The Lady Eve, Ball of Fire and Double Indemnity (later Stanwyck)

hbenthow

Familiar Face
Metropolis
Mystery of the Wax Museum
The Torchy Blane movies
The Blondie movies
Song of the South
The Rage of Paris
The Lady Vanishes
Meet John Doe
The Stork Club
The Perils of Pauline (1947)
Heading For Heaven
It's a Joke, Son!
The Milky Way
Way Out West
Sons of the Desert
Chickens Come Home
Pot o' Gold
Palooka
Prison Break (1938)
Dick Tracy (1937)
The Sin of Harold Diddlebock
The Front Page (1931)
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (1936)
The Egg and I

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Oh I know, I'm just really familiar with those movies and I was trying to come up with a cutoff since then people will want to add 60s movies and so on...., but if there are some relevant movies you can think of and want to add I'm not going to come after you ;)
Some of the 1940's and1950's classics I like from the film noir and Detective genre are:
1. Narrow Margin
2. The Big Heat
3. Where the Sidewalk Ends
4. Laura
5. The Big Sleep
6. The Maltese Falcon
7. The Big Steal
8. Out of the Past
9. His Kind of Woman (Mitchum and Russel)
10. Macao (Mitchum and Russel)
11. The Racket
12. The Thin Man Series
13. Scene of the Crime
14. Rogue Cop
15. Nocturne

As far as a modern film noir comedy with scene from classic films inserted Steve Martin's Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid is great.

Just my 2 cents worth and I hope you enjoy.

Regards

Kirk H.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
As far as a modern film noir comedy with scene from classic films inserted Steve Martin's Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid is great.

I have to second that Kirk. It's been a while since I watched Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, but the way they splice in the scenes from the classics is absolutely brilliant. Steve Martin is probably the only actor that could the role he plays off off.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Any of the Eddie Cantor/Samuel Goldwyn musicals: Whoopee, Palmy Days, Strike Me Pink, The Kid From Spain, Roman Scandals, Kid Millions.

Any of the early Bing Crosby/Paramount musicals: Too Much Harmony, Going Hollywood, She Loves Me Not, Here Is My Heart, We're Not Dressing.

Any of the Wheeler and Woolsey pictures prior to 1935, especially Peach O' Reno, Diplomaniacs, Hips Hips Hooray, and Cockeyed Cavaliers.

Any of the Big Broadcast pictures -- Big Broadcast, Big Broadcast of 1936, Big Broadcast of 1937, Big Broadcast of 1938.

Any of the mid/late '30s Fox musicals, especially "Thanks A Million," "Wake Up And Live," "Love and Hisses," and "On The Avenue."

Any Warner Bros. musical prior to 1940.

Any of the Jessie Matthews /Gaumont-British musicals, especially "Evergreen" and "First A Girl."

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I have to second that Kirk. It's been a while since I watched Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, but the way they splice in the scenes from the classics is absolutely brilliant. Steve Martin is probably the only actor that could the role he plays off off.
After posting about Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, I had to watch it again. As soon as I got home from work last night at 11:00 I went to my man cave so I would not wake everybody and watched it again. I had not laughed like that in a while. Great stress releif.

Kirk H.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Of course, thank you Kirk. In a couple of weeks I'll be watching plenty of movies, so your list along with everyone else's list will come in handy. I might get through the whole thread ;)
Your welcome Rue, and I hope you enjoy them all. Lots of good ones posted by everyone.

Regards

Kirk H.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Rue

You really need to watch a movie with Randolph Scott in it. He's an old Western actor. I bought one of his films for my Dad and can't remember which one now. I had to do it, remember Cleavon Little's line in Blazing Saddles: "You'd do it for Randolph Scott!"

I also recommend both Mulholland Falls, and LA Confidential, which are both recent films about the 1950's. Any of the Bogie and Bacall films would be good, The Big Sleep, to have and to have not, etc.

Casablanca is probably the best movie I've ever seen. I really enjoyed that movie.

Later

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe