Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Re-sizing a hat -> smaller, not larger

ga3ry

New in Town
Hi,

Last post for the night. I have a nice Pork Pie that I used to wear when I had more hair and wore it (my hair) pretty long. The hat no longer fits, I think I could probably spin it on my head. Is it possible to make it smaller and who would be a good candidate to perform such a procedure if it is possible?

Thanks,

gary

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some try drenching the hat and placing it on a lamp shade letting the heat from the bulb shrink it down. I think this only gives you at most a one size reduction. Also, don't set the thing on the lamp and leave to get a few more tubes of pringles for later at the store or you risk returning to smoldering ruins that used to be your home/apartment. Remain nearby, periodically checking on the condition of your hat and and remain alert to any sign of smoke!:) A less dangerous idea is to put felt strips in the hat behind the sweatband to "pack" it to fit. Craft felt with adhesive on the back is available for cheap and can be trimmed to fit discreetly behind the sweat. J.T. Marcus is a good source for radical size alteration advice. He flat out rebuild a hat to fit. You might PM him if that becomes necessary, which opens up a new can of worms regarding a level of confidence and skill necessary. Cheers, and welcome to the Lounge!

dean

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the compliment, Dean. I have tried the "shrink the whole thing" approach. I got a hat that fit, but never felt right. The problem is that the crown (felt) and the sweatband (leather) don't shrink the same amount. The result is usually a puckered sweatband that may fit, but feels uncomfortable. If you can use a needle and thread, and are patient, you can bring the size down, and it will feel good. Here's how:

1. Using a sharp knife, cut the stitches that hold the sweatband in, and remove it from the hat.
2. Do the same with the ribbon (hatband).
3. Soak the hat body in cold water. If it needs cleaning, use woolite or mild dishwashing detergent. then do a rinse soak.
4. Hang the body up to drip dry. Make sure it is in the shape you want.
5. Using a belt that you have made to fit like a hatband on a proper size hat, slide this belt onto the crown of the hat you are downsizing.
6. Let the body (with the belt in place) dry for about three days.
7. Clip the seam at the back of the sweatband.
8. Looking in a mirror, wrap the sweatband around your head, to fit, and overlap the ends. Use a ballpoint pen to draw a line along the edge of the end that is on top.
9. Line the end up with the mark you made and, using a needle and thread, tack the sweatband together.
10. Sew the sweatband back into the body. You can use the holes that are punched in the sweatband. Just make sure your outer stitches are positioned so that they will be hidden by the ribbon, when you put it back on.
11. Sew the ribbon back in place.
12. If anything needs reshaping, soak the hat in cold water for a few minutes. Then reshape it, and let the hat dry in that shape.
13. It takes two or three days to dry. Try it on several times during this period. This will give you the proper oval for your head.

Have fun, J.T.Marcus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe