Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralphs-Pugh Company

These
E6EA2398-067C-4DD2-8D6C-F6441C751187.jpeg

...seems like most Block-bilt jackets used D rings...hmmmm.

Last edited:

Mysteryo

One Too Many
@Mysteryo I knew I've seen your jacket somewhere after you posted in the 5* thread.

I have that same image of the Penney's labeled jacket from Mushroom but Marc beat me to it. It has a union ticket in the pocket.

View attachment 536283

Here are the tickets from my two RP's.

View attachment 536284 View attachment 536285

I also posted that Penney's months ago in the finds and deals thread. I think it's still for sale.

View attachment 536286 View attachment 536289

It has similar buckles that RP use all the time. Also very similar to your buckle you posted above.

My RP has a diamond shape. Buckle on the Penney's and yours has a rectangle. @handymike , what does the buckle on your RP look like?

View attachment 536287

BTW, Mushroom also had your exact jacket but with different buckles.

View attachment 536279 View attachment 536275
Here’s the union tag in mine

IMG_2699.jpeg

Reactions: jeo

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I tried to use Union labels for dating, but they don't offer much.

Union labels do limit the number of makers. Just need to figure out who was.

I did a quick search for Union labels in my closet. My findings so far. I will continue my search, but I anticipate few others.

Ralphs-Pugh union labor, (not all )
Block Union labor.

Seattle Woolen: Just found one

Monarch: No
Cali Sports No
Taubers No

Check your pockets.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeo
The previous ones I’ve seen in this style had the vents that opened…these are the first with the “fancy” Hercules cathedral back. I love it, of course.

Kalmer

One of the Regulars

Interesting to see those labels marked as ‘Washable’ Steerhide —— is it something that has been discussed before?
Wondered is there actually some special treatment to the leather, or just some gimmick for advertising, after all, normal leather can survive washes easily as well.

Also it seems that RP is one of the few companies who started making a good portion of their jackets using steerhide from fairly early years (30s, 40s), while other well known companies still made most of their jackets under the horsehide labels.
I’d be curious to know what’s the gist behind this decision.

Leigh H

Practically Family
Interesting to see those labels marked as ‘Washable’ Steerhide —— is it something that has been discussed before?
Wondered is there actually some special treatment to the leather, or just some gimmick for advertising, after all, normal leather can survive washes easily as well.

Also it seems that RP is one of the few companies who started making a good portion of their jackets using steerhide from fairly early years (30s, 40s), while other well known companies still made most of their jackets under the horsehide labels.
I’d be curious to know what’s the gist behind this decision.

There was a RP jacket for sale recently that was had the ‘Washable Napa Leather’ label.

Attachments

• IMG_2754.jpeg
    IMG_2754.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2716.jpeg
    IMG_2716.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 81

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
There was a RP jacket for sale recently that was had the ‘Washable Napa Leather’ label.
Another one! I have seen this Napa label, but not with that RP label. Another piece of the puzzle.

Napa may have "invented" or popularized this Washable term. I have seen this label on Block Bilt jackets too.

California Sportswear had Washable goat skin and Washable calfskin labeled jackets.

These labeled jackets are from the late 30s.

I believe it was more marketing than an actual treatment. These labels ended about the same time they started, certainly at the beginning of WWII

I had not noticed the Washable on that green steerhide label till pointed out above. This wording was dropped pretty quickly not all green labels have this. The green label was short lived and soon replaced.

I agree, Steerhide was considered premium at Ralphs-Pugh throughout the 40s/50s. They had the Steerhide Brand proudly on their label.

This Steerhide continues to this day as impressive. I have not seen anything like lt. I have a Block Bilt jacket with the same unique leather. The leather, at first, looks like goatskin. I have an unlabeled polce jacket with the same Leather.

RP also used Horsehide and goat. The Horsehide is as good as anything found. The goat jackets don't show up.

RP, along with other west coast makers, had access to the best leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tex rider