Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Purple Label

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Maybe I should embroider my name in a huge font on the front of your suit, TT? That would give my little tailoring operation tons of respect, I'm sure.

Buying advertising space on my clothes will cost you more than I am paying for the suit!!!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
E.g. "I could not care less about advertising" clearly means one has the lowest possible opinion of it, whereas " I could care less about advertising" means there is still room for one's view of it to sink lower....

Can anyone cast any light on this ?

simple mangling of the English language. i've heard many mangled (mis-heard) phrases, and read a few on this very forum.
one that i remember was "for all intensive purposes" rather than "for all intents and purposes" :eusa_doh:

I own several PL dress shirts (all bought on season-ending sales). The shirts are well made, but - and I am, in general, a big fan of Ralph Lauren products and his Purple Label line - one of the few items in the PL line that I think is overpriced (versus other shirts of similar prices). For example, Paul Stuart shirts cost the same or less, but have, IMHO, richer fabrics and better construction (the collar and cuffs are more substantial - but still feel natural - and hold up better). The RL PL shirt, while quite nice, is a level down in quality (but not price) from the Paul Stuart one. Also, the RL PL shirt stopped offering as many sleeve length sizes as is normal a few years ago.

And now, more to the point: The joy of wearing a RL PL shirt or anyone like that for me is (1) the intrinsic pleasure and feel of a quality garment (2) the subtle improvement to one's overall dress that each quality item adds and (3) that once in awhile, someone will say something like, "you dress well," or "your clothes always look nice," or "you have good taste in clothes." This last benefit is nice because the person isn't responding to a label or advertising, but to the overall appearance of your clothes - which were improved by the, for example, RL PL shirt. So my sincere and positive advice to you, ddt667, is to not sell yourself short. You are buying a RL PL shirt because you appreciate nicer clothes and that will reflect well on you and enhance your appearance. People will notice it, directly or indirectly, and it will be a nicer feeling to get an overall compliment based on how well you present yourself versus one based on a crude cost calculation by someone seeing a label. Buy the shirt and enjoy it - others with taste will notice in a good way.

I own several PL dress shirts (all bought on season-ending sales). The shirts are well made, but - and I am, in general, a big fan of Ralph Lauren products and his Purple Label line - one of the few items in the PL line that I think is overpriced (versus other shirts of similar prices). For example, Paul Stuart shirts cost the same or less, but have, IMHO, richer fabrics and better construction (the collar and cuffs are more substantial - but still feel natural - and hold up better). The RL PL shirt, while quite nice, is a level down in quality (but not price) from the Paul Stuart one. Also, the RL PL shirt stopped offering as many sleeve length sizes as is normal a few years ago.

And now, more to the point: The joy of wearing a RL PL shirt or anyone like that for me is (1) the intrinsic pleasure and feel of a quality garment (2) the subtle improvement to one's overall dress that each quality item adds and (3) that once in awhile, someone will say something like, "you dress well," or "your clothes always look nice," or "you have good taste in clothes." This last benefit is nice because the person isn't responding to a label or advertising, but to the overall appearance of your clothes - which were improved by the, for example, RL PL shirt. So my sincere and positive advice to you, ddt667, is to not sell yourself short. You are buying a RL PL shirt because you appreciate nicer clothes and that will reflect well on you and enhance your appearance. People will notice it, directly or indirectly, and it will be a nicer feeling to get an overall compliment based on how well you present yourself versus one based on a crude cost calculation by someone seeing a label. Buy the shirt and enjoy it - others with taste will notice in a good way.

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
simple mangling of the English language. i've heard many mangled (mis-heard) phrases, and read a few on this very forum.
one that i remember was "for all intensive purposes" rather than "for all intents and purposes" :eusa_doh:

You're probably right, it's just that recently the mangled version seems to to be omnipresent......wondered why/how it is suddenly taking over.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I sincerely believe that majority opinion would agree with me on this and that it is a very bad marketing decision by Ralph Lauren not to have some emblem for the PL line similar to pony on the polo line. I would not drive a Cadillac without the emblems.
Generally speaking, a designer's most expensive "signature" line is devoid of large, noticable markings while their lower priced secondary or diffusion line will be so marked as to be identifiable from across the street.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Very entertaining
And often educational. For instance, did you know that Golden Era tennis great Rene "The Crocodile" Lacoste was the first clothing manufacturer to prominently display his company brand, a crocodile, on the outside of the garment.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
I had this problem with all of my $400 RLPL shirts, but found a great workaround. By wearing the shirt inside out and popping the collar up, the label is now there for all to see. This wasn't my first mod to the shirts- I also realised that the sleeves were preventing people from seeing my massive muscles from all that lifting (do you guys even lift btw?), so I took some scissors and cut those off. I'm currently working with a super mystery bespoke tailor to have suits made that work around these issues as well, I'll keep everyone posted.

DamianM

Vendor
Why not, this is just a suggestion, when you are walking around and tell people that pass by you that you paid 400 dollars for the shirt.
Walk around yelling the price of your shirt. to everyone. No work around needed. just be bold and yell at everyone.

If you are at a fast food place you can say this "HI, I'm wearing a purple label Ralph Laurel shirt that set me back 400 dollars, Can I have the number 5 with extra cheese and a large coke?"

Metatron

One Too Many
Why not, this is just a suggestion, when you are walking around and tell people that pass by you that you paid 400 dollars for the shirt.
Walk around yelling the price of your shirt. to everyone. No work around needed. just be bold and yell at everyone.

If you are at a fast food place you can say this "HI, I'm wearing a purple label Ralph Laurel shirt that set me back 400 dollars, Can I have the number 5 with extra cheese and a large coke?"

Lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld