Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question: Age of vintage Stetson?

TomS

One Too Many
gtdean48 said:
Tom, if that hat is a near pristine, Canadian made Open Road with HFM stamped into the sweatband, I have 2 others from that same estate. The wear pattern on the back of the sweatband below the bow & size tag where sweatband joins looks familiar as it does appear to have HFM stamped but hard to see from that angle.

Is that the hat you mentioned in the PM we exchanged a few weeks back??

jtrenalone

New in Town
I have been looking at this and other threads regarding dating, and am still a little confused on terminology, such as foil size tag.

I just purchased a Stetson Royal Deluxe with this size tag:
1.jpg

What kind of tag is this considered, and from what general era?

I know this is not a paper tag, (like this one):

2.jpg

Which I understand to be from earlier hats (pre-40's?)

(edited, sorry for the photo confusion, finally figured out how to post images)

Thanks,
Joel

That is a manilla stock size tag. A foil tag would look like that but be shiny. This is like your tag but only has the fraction, no 7 & not foil = 1950s....
RD5.jpg

This one is a Long Oval so it is all yellow but has STETSON in block letters, fraction with LONG OVAL stacked beneath it = late 40s/early 50s
40OR10.jpg

jtrenalone

New in Town
Well, you know what this means now? My quest may not be ended:eusa_doh: for my ideal vintage hat....or I settle for a 70's hat and stop the madness.

Like you said, it seems futile to fight the force..:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe