Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prostate exams

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There is an ongoing thread in the Powder Room on the subject of mammograms. That's a good thing. I just thought I'd bring up the male equivalent: rectal exams (ewww!) Guys, if you're in the age range, be sure to get a PSA blood test, but also get that blasted rectal. It's a LOT less unpleasant than a mammogram, and it can be just as instrumental in saving your life if (God forbid) there's something there. It takes about one second, and if you just relax and think about . . . whatever . . . it's a snap.

CharlesB

Suspended
Update_DoNotWant.jpg

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Sadly it's no joke. Not just prostate exams, but colonoscopy's also. I'm due this year after my birthday. It's not the most fun I've ever had. My dad would likely still be alive had he gotten them routinely. He passed on before the birth of his last grandchild, my youngest, by five lousy weeks.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yes, colonoscopy!

My wife refused to go to a real doctor for years "It's just irritable bowel syndrome." By the time we got her to get a colonoscopy it was too late. The cancer had already spread to her liver. She lived 3 1/2 years after her diagnosis. These things may seem creepy and gross, but dying totally sucks.

CharlesB

Suspended
dhermann1 said:
My wife refused to go to a real doctor for years "It's just irritable bowel syndrome." By the time we got her to get a colonoscopy it was too late. The cancer had already spread to her liver. She lived 3 1/2 years after her diagnosis. These things may seem creepy and gross, but dying totally sucks.
A close friend of mine/former prof. Had prostate cancer this year and almost kicked the bucket. He's healthy as a horse now but you can bet I'll be on top of that when it's my turn to hae an annual check up

surely

A-List Customer
the colonoscopy itself is not uncomfortable what with the sedative they give; but the day before cleaning out the system is trying. Nonetheless its no big deal to know that you're ok.

Foofoogal

Banned
Nonetheless its no big deal to know that you're ok.

They put you to sleep during a colonoscopy.

My sister 55 had colon cancer last year but is now fine. I immediately went for a test and no biggie.

My brother has been diagnosed with prostate cancer and is dealing with it.
He is 65. Get tested with any tests you are able. We are not in the dark ages. Ignorance is not bliss.

Vardeman Sneed

Familiar Face
I agree with the yearly prostate exam and PST lab work, especially after the age of 45. I also think that a colonoscopy should be done every other year.

With that said, I'm six months late on all of the above. I guess I need to take my own advice.

---

Did you hear the joke about the peanut butter and Kentucky jelly sandwich?

3Horn

New in Town
60CycleHum said:
I agree with the yearly prostate exam and PST lab work, especially after the age of 45. I also think that a colonoscopy should be done every other year.

When I was in the Navy, we had to take an annual flight physical, those things were pretty darned thorough.

I've been getting a standard physical every year or two now, and it always amazes me that it takes maybe half an hour as opposed to the half or full day I was used to.

And for some reason, they keep giving me a prostate exam, usually followed by the Doc saying "Oh, we didn't need to do that this year". Gee, thanks Doc.

Pilotguy299

One of the Regulars
it's especially important

to start having them done sooner rather than later if there are any instances of cancer in your family history.

As far the the comfort, I'm kinda ashamed to admit that being put out for the colonoscopy resulted in the most restful sleep I've had in many years...

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
surely said:
the colonoscopy itself is not uncomfortable what with the sedative they give; but the day before cleaning out the system is trying. Nonetheless its no big deal to know that you're ok.

I agree, the procedure was much easier than I would have guessed and the day before was much worse than I would have guessed. The sedative was great, I wish you get that over the counter.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Well, I'm basically too young to need to worry about such things now, personally. However, I definitely can agree how important health checkups are. My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer about six months ago. He had is prostate removed just a week and a half ago, and is in Houston recovering. The surgery went very well, and thankfully, through being retired and having good health insurance, he was able to choose to go to a very reputable place (M.D. Anderson). Still, cancer is a stressful situation that we don't want to either personally go through, or see our loved ones go through. I have seen several people's battles with cancer over the past four years; some ended well, some not so well. It's definitely good to stay up on one's health.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What 'age' does this need to be done from..?

I'm aware that also testicular cancer is males is something to be aware of as are the self checks. But I have no idea from what 'age' the probability of these types of cancers become a greater risk[huh]

Any ideas...? (as a number of males in my family have died or contracted cancer, eg: father and brother).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwrg