Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Project: 5-Star Buco J-82

Technonut

Practically Family
How long before this "new pattern" shows up on Five Star's website?
Mysteryo needs creative compensation ;)

I am appreciative that Mysteryo made the effort and expense to ship a vintage original to Pakistan for certain.. :) It allows others to share the opportunity of having a decent, yet cost-effective copy of their own if desired.

For anyone else contemplating this build without decorative studs / rivets, I would ask to include this triangular reinforcement stitching above / below the belt loops. I neglected to notice this detail, and would've included it otherwise (Only for accuracy, since my loops seem quite sturdy without it).

j82 Comparison4 (2).jpg

j82 Comparison3.jpg

Last edited:

cbez

One Too Many
That's a lot of jacket for 240. Too bad it's prohibitively expensive for them to import more top end leathers. I think a lot of people would be in for a shinki or horween buco at even twice that price.

We went from pocketgate to outdoor fit pics in the blink of an eye.

Technonut

Practically Family
That's a lot of jacket for 240. Too bad it's prohibitively expensive for them to import more top end leathers. I think a lot of people would be in for a shinki or horween buco at even twice that price.

We went from pocketgate to outdoor fit pics in the blink of an eye.

One helluva deal IMO... ;) I agree that this particular pattern made from a premium leather would be killer. However, from what I gather, 5-Star operates their own tannery which accounts for flexible pricing, and the steer used for this jacket appears well-tanned with a typical leather smell.

As previously posted, it was very supple out-of-the-box and will require very little break-in. Looking at the shipping invoice, the jacket weighs-in at a touch over 6.5 pounds...

Now, I can't guarantee others can achieve the same lower price I paid for the jacket since I can be somewhat persuasive while attempting to wheel-n-deal, but it's still a bargain at the little-below $300.00 (including shipping) list price.... ;) :)

Technonut

Practically Family
I was looking at an original 50's Buco in steer on the bay, and given some wear, creasing, and time, I believe the 5-Star steer will compare favorably enough for me:

j82 Steer Comparison1.jpg

j82 Steer Comparison2.jpg

j82 Steer Comparison3.jpg

EDIT: I had a feeling that the thick tartan lining used was wool / wool-blend. I inquired and found it to be made from 65% wool / 35% cotton..... :) I'm glad that I had the jacket fully lined with it now:

J82 Tartan1.jpg

EDIT: I was thinking that I once owned another black leather jacket in the past with a red tartan lining I really liked... It was a custom Aero Highwayman in what was called "mottled" horse. It took me 2 attempts to get a well-fitting jacket, with the first returned to Scotland. I liked the rustic look of the "mottled" HH, and wore the jacket often for a few years. OT, but here's some pics of it:

IMG_0168.JPG

HWYmot 004.jpg

HWYmot 005.jpg

IMG_0169.JPG

Last edited:

Technonut

Practically Family
I'll post two more comparison shots and call this project a wrap... :)

I'm still very pleased with how it turned-out compared to the original... The collar / lapels, sleeves / rotated sleeve seams, shoulders, etc., just about spot-on. Sure, a premium leather would've been nice, but it's good enough for me... ;)

I think I succeeded in obtaining a well-fitting, nostalgic representation of the Buco J-82 based upon original patterns... ;)

MILES apart from other bike jacket patterns designed in-house and offered by 5-Star IMO:

j82 Comparison5.jpg

j82 Comparison7.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1