Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Project: 5-Star Buco J-82

Technonut

Practically Family
After looking at the Buco J-82 ad that I posted showing the D-pocket position being similar to 5-Star's, it dawned on me that Mysteryo's original HAS THE SAME PLACEMENT.....

To 5-Star's credit, they placed the pocket in more or less the same correct position as the original they worked with. Needless to say, I feel like a fool for requesting the panel remade, and asked Fargham to complete the buckle, and get the jacket shipped as it is with no alterations, since it IS correct and EXACTLY what I asked for....

As can be clearly seen, 5-Star damn near nailed the D-pocket placement, and the side pocket as well:

j82 Comparison1.jpg

Again, the vintage Buco J-82 Ad:

j-82.jpg

EDIT: Here's the leather buckle that 5-Star made for this jacket resembling an original (IIRC, some of the J-82 buckles were leather covered). The belt will have snaps to easily replace the buckle if desired:

Buco Buckle.jpg

Last edited:

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
After looking at the Buco J-82 ad that I posted showing the D-pocket position being similar to 5-Star's, it dawned on me that Mysteryo's original HAS THE SAME PLACEMENT.....

To 5-Stars's credit, they placed the pocket in more or less the same correct position as the original they worked with. Needless to say, I feel like a fool for requesting the panel remade, and asked Fargham to complete the buckle, and get the jacket shipped as it is with no alterations, since it IS correct and EXACTLY what I asked for....

As can be clearly seen, 5-Star damn near nailed the D-pocket placement, and the side pocket as well:

View attachment 637918

View attachment 637919

EDIT: Here's the leather buckle that 5-Star made for this jacket resembling an original (IIRC, some of the J-82 buckles were leather covered). The belt will have snaps to easily replace the buckle if desired:

View attachment 637926
Right call. The pocket positioning was just fine to begin with. Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

To 5-Star's credit, they placed the pocket in more or less the same correct position as the original they worked with. Needless to say, I feel like a fool for requesting the panel remade, and asked Fargham to complete the buckle, and get the jacket shipped as it is with no alterations, since it IS correct and EXACTLY what I asked for....

View attachment 637918

View attachment 637919

View attachment 637926
Good call. You are absolutely right, seeing Mysteryo's original makes me realize that I am used seeing to the dimensions and pocket placement of smaller sizes. The 5* looks spot next to Mysteryo's size 46.

cbez

One Too Many
perhaps the conclusion of pocketgate

the epaulets look a little loosey goosey

what leather did you end up requesting?

Technonut

Practically Family
perhaps the conclusion of pocketgate

the epaulets look a little loosey goosey

what leather did you end up requesting?

The epaulets turned out just like Mysteryo's copy. The one detail I failed to communicate due to concentrating on all the others of more importance to me. I'm confident they'll calm-down with wear and time however... ;)

The leather is the same 1.4mm steer since the jacket was already correctly made, with no alterations necessary..... :)

Out of the other 5-Star jackets I've had made over the years, this one actually has ALL of my requests completed...

Technonut

Practically Family
With the belt snap / buckle completed, this jacket is truly a wrap now, and on it's way to be shipped.... :)

It's unusual in my past experiences with 5-Star to have a build take 3 weeks to complete. Generally, they seemed to whip the others out within a matter of days. I'm appreciative that they spent some time on this one to make sure all of my requests were met.

Here's the belt / buckle pics:

j82build16.jpg

j82build17.jpg

EDIT: Looking again at the comparison pic between Mysteryo's original J-82 and my copy, 5-Star followed the pattern quite well IMO (collar, lapels, shoulders, arm-holes, sleeve curves, etc.), and I'm very pleased with the results :) :

j82 Comparison1.jpg

I'll get some fit pics posted after the jacket arrives..... :)

Last edited:

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm concerned someone has photoshopped out the back seam, I was clearly told single piece jackets can't conform to your back

Technically isn't it a multi-piece back given the side panels? ;)

Technonut

Practically Family
The day I've been anticipating has arrived......... Two words immediately come to mind.... FRIGGIN' AWESOME!!! :cool:

I must say that IMO, 5-Star knocked this one out-of-the-park!! I could not of asked for a better made-to-measure fit, and AFAIK from researching many J-82 pics (since I've never handled an original), Mysteryo's original pattern was followed VERY well. I've been at this game for enough years to know a good wearing pattern when on my back, and this jacket felt great as soon as I slipped it on.

The 1.4 mm steer is quite supple, with what I consider to be nice-looking grain, especially at the all-in $240.00 cost of admission (I was able to negotiate reduced shipping charges... ;) ). NO strange leather smells here folks. The tartan lining quality turned out a real treat as well. Not cheap feeling or thin at all, and should actually provide some warmth when chilly out-n-about. The pocket linings are thick and robust as requested.

The sleeve zippers tighten-down perfectly for me, and the overall stitching and construction is quite good. Can you tell I'm happy with the jacket yet? :D

Anyway, there happens to be another heat-wave going in my part of the world, so please pardon this initial crappy mirror selfie until I can hopefully get much better and detailed pics taken in the morning when cooler out in the sunlight (I have the belt snugged-down a bit too tightly in this one). :

J-82 Complete1.jpg

EDIT: May as well throw a better pic in before the editing option vanishes... ;) :

j82 complete9.jpg

Last edited:

Technonut

Practically Family
Great fit, congrats!

Thanks! I was definitely sweating bullets until it arrived... ;)

However, after converting the metric pit-pit measurement seen in Mysteryo's thread of his copy to inches (60 cm = 23.622 "), I had a feeling that most of my jacket would be pretty close to his specs since my requested pit-pit was 23.5".... More than likely only slight adjustments were necessary compared to his pattern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1