Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

prison medical benefits??

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
See you get what you pay for

Would this guy "turn himself in" if the penalty was DEATH? for bank robbery?
Ie. you go into a bank, threaten the innocent employees, wives, customers, college student workers....

With a GUN..

for >>MONEY>>>

I think the guy should do YEARS for his crime, and get NOTHING as far as benefits.

IMHO

They should just cut off the hand he held the gun with, right? And then refuse to cauterise the amputation region. That'd teach him!

Given the state of prison medical treatment in some regions of this country, he'd be better off with a back-alley doctor.

The only penalty should be the death penalty. Steal an apple ... Death. fail to stop at a stop sign ... death. Don't earn much money ... death. Oh, wait; That one's already on the books.

bk

Feraud

Bartender
oh geeze the poor old coot is losing his mind! He turns himself in to the authorities for prison medial benefits then pleads
Despite his surrender, Geller pleaded not guilty at his arraignment Tuesday, the newspaper said.
not guilty!? lol

As for the charges being dropped, I guess sometimes Karma is a "you know what"! I don't think I have too much sympathy for him. He robbed a bank and spent 35 years on the lam. Now he is sick he is looking for free medical?
Sorry dude, you got your tax free $63,500.00 from the government in '71. I can only hope to retire one day and collect half that amount from my years of work and paying taxes! :eusa_doh:

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
Does this crap belong on our Forum?

MrBern said:
http://washtimes.com/upi/20060329-095622-8863r.htm

Old man turns himself him on 35 yr old bank heist....so he can go to prison & get medical care.
The irony? Case is so old, it may be dropped.

The occasional politicization posted here
STINKS.

"CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG???

Enough Already...

We proport to be about The Golden Age, accoutrement's and the like.

You political types; GIVE IT A REST! :deadhorse

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Here's how another forum handled its own contentious political threads. It created a members-only section titled the "Political Outhouse". That way, people could more easily avoid it if they wished to. Turned out to be a very effective solution.

Feraud

Bartender
Katt in Hat said:

STINKS.

Enough Already...

Was the original post you quoted seriously contentious?? Some of the replies might seem so but I have read worse threads in the forum... :eusa_doh:

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I think the point Katt is trying to make is that there are a lot of threads, especially in the observation bar, whose aim seems to be to provoke controversial discussion of modern politics. As you say, this one is pretty mild compared to some, and I'd add that the Lounge as a whole has calmed down a lot of late, but even so I think he has a point.

Personally, I join in political threads now and again, but these days I try to avoid it when there is absolutely NO connection to mid 20th century issues. I was ready to argue about Maccarthy or about the nature of Fascism, but this kind of thing is just a distraction from time which could be spent talking clothes.

In fact I just got distracted.

Feraud

Bartender
nightandthecity said:
I think the point Katt is trying to make is that there are a lot of threads, especially in the observation bar, whose aim seems to be to provoke controversial discussion of modern politics. As you say, this one is pretty mild compared to some, and I'd add that the Lounge as a whole has calmed down a lot of late, but even so I think he has a point.
I totally agree about threads meant to provoke controversial discussion of politics. Personally I dislike those posts and try to avoid them. I really think this was a poor choice to "make an example" of. This post started out with an odd and non political subject. While others (including myself?) can take an innocent post to a particularly distasteful conclusion, the best policies are what I have experienced in the Lounge. A - if something gets out of hand, the bartenders will step in to restore order. B - If Politics, Religion, etc. are not one's "cup of tea" there is no reason to post within the thread. I have and will continue to not post in messages I find unappealing. One should not chime into a post they dislike and say, "GIVE IT A REST".

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Personally, I think that every system can be played. I see this all the time at the university where I work - the students pay the rules, the faculty play the rules, and I play them.

If someone is willing to give up his freedom of movement to gain medical care, and that falls within the latitude of the rules, then he'll probably get what he asks for.

I would also suggest that the instance tells us we should look at the rules - both as they apply to incerceration, and to the health care system.

I for one am heartily tired of paying for prisons built because we pay for incarceration, not prevention.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
It's just sad...the whole thing...actually it makes me mad cause I'm paying for these prisoners medical benefits! On some t.v. program, they showed life in prison, and actually, it's not all that bad, as long as you don't drop your soap :rolleyes: ....they have steak night, t.v they can watch at all times..seems pretty good for doing a crime
and if I'm not mistaken, isn't a lot of Katt's comments political?

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
A simple google search will answer your query in a heart beat.

John in Covina said:
What is the Statute of limitations on Bank Robbery and on Federal Evasion?

You could then share the result with us, were you so inclined. I await with bated breath...

Free "The Hollywood Ten"
Repeal Amendment XXII

AMENDMENT XXII
Passed by Congress March 21, 1947. Ratified February 27, 1951.

Section 1.
No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this Article was proposed by Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

Section 2.
This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years from the date of its submission to the States by the Congress.

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
As a rule, I post a political rejoinder in defense of my side of an argument.

I do not believe that I have initiated any diatribes. I respond to posts which set my teeth on edge, in the main.

mysterygal said:
It's just sad...the whole thing...actually it makes me mad cause I'm paying for these prisoners medical benefits! On some t.v. program, they showed life in prison, and actually, it's not all that bad, as long as you don't drop your soap :rolleyes: ....they have steak night, t.v they can watch at all times..seems pretty good for doing a crime...

(You make Prizon sound like a gass,mysterygal)! :arated:

and if I'm not mistaken, isn't(sic)(aren't) a lot of Katt's comments political?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
does it belong

Katt in Hat said:

STINKS.

Enough Already...

Your charming subject line asked: "Does this crap belong on our Forum?"
I think the simple answer is yes.
Why not?
We're in the ObservationBar and this is its designation:
"The Observation Bar
The place where nobody tries to put the bite on you. Pull up a seat, relax and have a drink and talk about the finer things in life. From adventure to politics. Just mind your P's & Q's. Come on in. Everybody here is just like you...only more so."

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
... sure wish i was in prison. Sounds like a blast!

bk
um...is this sarcasm Baron? If so remember no-one can see your facial expression or hear your tone of voice!

Plus Americans aren't as strong on sarcasm and irony as us Brits.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun