Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s Stetson Westerns

Landman

One Too Many
I remember that the first time I looked at the celebrity hat size list that Alan posted a link to made me think that the smaller head size was more of a myth than reality. I've never done much research on it but based on that list it looks like previous head sizes were not too much different than today. I wonder if one of the reasons we see so many pristine vintage hats in smaller sizes is that the larger size hats were worn out and didn't survive. Not that there wasn't as many made but that they were more common than we think and were actually worn.

Last edited:

viclip

Practically Family
I remember that the first time I looked at the celebrity hat size list that Alan posted a link to made me think that the smaller head size was more of a myth than reality. I've never done much research on it but based on that list it looks like previous head sizes were not too much different than today. I wonder if one of the reasons we see so many pristine vintage hats in smaller sizes is that the larger size hats were worn out and didn't survive. Not that there wasn't as many made but that they were more common than we think and were actually worn.

A while back someone posted actual hat production figures from circa 1920. The smaller hat sizes predominated in terms of orders/production figures, which suggests that the average head size was markedly smaller back then.

It's my impression however that in those days hats were worn higher too, which could help explain the smaller sizing. Also shorter cut hair were the norm as compared to the present day.

Having said that, & for what it's worth, I'm unable to wear either my father's or my uncle's (by marriage) vintage hats, the largest among them being 7-1/4. Ditto for another uncle's (again by marriage) hats however, he was somewhat small in stature anyways. With one exception I've never come across a used hat larger than 7-1/2 (my comfort zone being 7-5/8).

fedoracentric

Banned
A while back someone posted actual hat production figures from circa 1920. The smaller hat sizes predominated in terms of orders/production figures, which suggests that the average head size was markedly smaller back then.

That is the post to which I was referring. I just don't know how to find it in this site. Don't know what thread it was on.

I believe what you are recalling was an order form that gave a number of wholesale orders with predefined size distributions. They were code named as animals. The distributions included a range of sizes, some weighted more heavily to smaller sizes, some to larger sizes.

I'm not sure where the original post resides, but this is the graph that I prepared after adding all the distributions together. It does not provide information on the most popular size ordered, only that 7 was included more than any other size in the pre-defined distributions. Any clue to to a most popular size at that time would require knowing which distributions were the most popular. Note that children's sizes are included at the lower end.

hat_dist.jpg

fedoracentric

Banned
That graph is pretty definitive. They wouldn't include the 6-7/8, 7, and 7-1/8 more than other sizes unless they sold more of them. I'd still like to hear from a DelMonico guy on what size they sell the most today.

I do know that many people wore hats much higher up (especially stiff felts). It's just another factor to consider.

It would be interesting to know what size sells best today (my guess would be 7 1/4 or 7 3/8). Besdor (Steve) would also be a good person to chime in.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
It could be interesting to know, what sizes are most popular today - but it still leaves with problem. Many young people of today are wearing their hats tilted back on the head. Their hats are about one size smaller, than if they wore them like most of us do. Hat wearing styles make a comparison hard. It would have been easier with wig sizes :)

fedoracentric

Banned
Wow. How you leaped to the idea that I hate young people and think they are stupid from my comment that comparing real hat sizes to "large, medium, and small" is an impossible task is anyone's guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe