Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

POTUS shoe

Fifty150

Call Me a Cab
What shoe is this president wearing? What do presidents wear? What have you seen?

1724305896887.png
1724305835155.png
1724305353736.png
1724305431470.png
1724305593389.png
1.png
Screenshot 2024-08-21 22.17.13.png
Obama shoe holes Callie Shell.jpg

TLW '90

Practically Family
Those aren't chukkas by any stretch of the imagination, but if the average person probably doesn't know what a chukka actually is I wouldn't expect a person who has severe dementia and rarely knows what's going on to know what a Chukka is either.
I don't wear a suit and would never wear footwear like that, but if I did I wouldn't wear either together because even I know they don't go together.

The leader of a country wearing footwear like this with a suit just does not come off as formal professional or competent, I don't care who you are or what country you're in charge of.

Last edited:

rogueclimber

A-List Customer
Those aren't chukkas by any stretch of the imagination, but if the average person probably doesn't know what a chukka actually is I wouldn't expect a person who has severe dementia and rarely knows what's going on to know what a Chukka is either.
I don't wear a suit and would never wear footwear like that, but if I did I wouldn't wear either together because even I know they don't go together.

The leader of a country wearing footwear like this with a suit just does not come off as formal professional or competent, I don't care who you are or what country you're in charge of.

Sent me off down the rabbit hole... LOL

https://www.casafagliano.com/the-chukka-boot-a-brief-history-and-styling-guide/

TLW '90

Practically Family
They're not all dressy and weren't always so, but one thing is for sure and it's that chukka's have always been a short traditionally made boot.
The monstrosities mentioned above are just a taller version of a horrid modern athletic shoe of some kind.
The only thing they could possibly have in common with Chukkas is the height, which in that case the high top converse could be called a Chukka.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I didn't know that Johnston & Murphy sold bad shoes.

I wear a modern (not vintage) pair of Florsheim penny loafers all day long 3-4 days a week. I have no complaints and they aren’t imperials, either. I consistently choose them over multiple pairs of Allen Edmunds - they are just easier to wear and feel sturdier. Solid patent leather uppers, durable sole and heel, comfortable as heck when broken in and they ARE Goodyear welted (which this video wrongly implies only the imperials are). They are the only Florsheims I own (and the only ones I want to own - I love the Florsheim penny loafer) but based solely on them, I question the broad critiques of other brands in this video.

Fifty150

Call Me a Cab
I question the broad critiques of other brands in this video.

It's all just an opinion. That happens online. People Express their opinions. There's another guy who trashed Alden Indy Boots, Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots, and Nick's Boots - to then turn around and promote "Rock Rooster", and several other poor quality brands, who sponsored his videos and paid him a commission on units sold.

It's business.

The opinions of 2 guys who do shoe repair, and make sandals. They sell flip flops for over $100.

1724380370201.png

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
When I was coming along, the Bass Weejuns were the only penny loafer to wear. Still have two pair of them. I think they still make them.
I’ve seen some nice looking Weejuns. I believe they were the original. I might try them one day. I am a fan of the beef roll penny loafer with a pair of 501s.

TLW '90

Practically Family
It's all just an opinion. That happens online. People Express their opinions. There's another guy who trashed Alden Indy Boots, Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots, and Nick's Boots - to then turn around and promote "Rock Rooster", and several other poor quality brands, who sponsored his videos and paid him a commission on units sold
The rock roosters were simply given credit for being above average in quality for the money and worthwhile as a cheap work boot, they were cut in half and the proof was right there.
If I remember correctly they were examined as an alternative to BRUNT not in comparison to any premium boot options.

Nick's were never trashed , and as for the Aldens and the Wolverines they were simply scolded for hiding cost cutting substitutes in their boots while using their name to charge significantly more than their intrinsic value.
It wasn't about their quality which is objectively more than adequate, but about what they were charging.

Fifty150

Call Me a Cab
Nick's were never trashed

Apologies. My memory is faulty. The bad review was for Wesco.

16:39
Now playing

The Truth: Wesco is not what you think

131K views1 year ago

Rose Anvil

TIMESTAMPS: 0:00 Intro 2:06 History 5:08 Leather 7:15 Construction 8:35 Build Process 9:16 Heel Stack 11:09 Cut in Half 11:47 ...
hqdefault_24000.jpg

10 chapters
Intro | History | Leather | Construction | Build Process | Heel Stack | Cut in Half | Reveal | Components | Worth It?

15:15
Now playing

Chris Warren from Wesco addressing the Rose Anvil review

24K views10 months ago

The Black Peacoat
Chris Warren from Wesco addressing the Rose Anvil review. This video was taken from the Wesco Facebook group which was ...

//

Edward

Bartender
It's all just an opinion. That happens online. People Express their opinions. There's another guy who trashed Alden Indy Boots, Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots, and Nick's Boots - to then turn around and promote "Rock Rooster", and several other poor quality brands, who sponsored his videos and paid him a commission on units sold.

The blessing and the curse of the internet. I've found many great, premium products without the "designer label" price via internet forums and reviews. OTOH, I've also seen many rabbit holes open up, hobbyists dismissing anything below a premium price as lesser. An awful lot of footwear / clothing / leather jacket internet 'authorities' are very much in the same space as the guy who will only countenance driving a Ferrari, and dismisses every single alternative as beneath it, lesser.

Sometimes all you want is a shoe. Does it keep the foot warm? Is it durable? Do you like how it looks? Often seems to me that once you get hobbyism involved, utilitarianism is sacrificed on the alter of what is, often, simple snobbery. Inevitably, of course, the line between the two at a certain point becomes nothing but subjective opinion again...

When I was coming along, the Bass Weejuns were the only penny loafer to wear. Still have two pair of them. I think they still make them.

Very much still around. They aren't cheap, though I've found them to be good quality. The one caveat I'd put on that is that it seems they can be subject to size varying a tiny bit from batch to batch. I've had some pairs fit beautifully, others I need a tongue pad to snug em up. Best tried on in person. I've had other brands which fit a little better not because of any qualitative difference, but simply that the vamp extends farther up the foot by an inch or so - just enough that they can be a tiny bit loose without feeling like they're about to fall off at any stage.

Rather more ostentatiously finishes than I'd prefer for myself, though there is something fun about having the flash tucked up under the trousers in the whole black tie rig. Funnily enough, when I was seventeen I had a pair of ankle length cowboy boots (they were all the rage in the heavy metal scene I was just outgrowing as punk rock became more important to me.). I wore them to my school formal with black tie during our final year. Thereafter they were discarded for a few years, until I became a Riff Raff in my first Rocky Horror floorshow cast and they came out of the wardrobe again..

That rounder toe and squarer heel on Dubya' boots look like they've be very comfortable to wear much of the night on the dancefloor, even if the shaft would give them the potential to be a bit on the warm side in a hot, crowded ballroom.

Fifty150

Call Me a Cab
Funnily enough, when I was seventeen I had a pair of ankle length cowboy boots (they were all the rage in the heavy metal scene I was just outgrowing as punk rock became more important to me.). I wore them to my school formal with black tie during our final year.

I have worn cowboy boots with black tie and white tie. To me, it's a polished black shoe. I have "formal shoes" or "evening shoes". I just don't like them. Why? Because they are shoes. I prefer boots.

Blame it all on my roots,
I showed up in boots,
And I ruined your black tie affair,

Often seems to me that once you get hobbyism involved, utilitarianism is sacrificed on the alter of what is, often, simple snobbery.

Such is the case with Dr. Martens. Suddenly, they are 5h!t shoes. Corrected grain leather with a painted on top coat. Bontex footbed insole. A plastic welt which is melted onto the sole instead of stitched on.

Dr. Martens boots were never made to be a heritage boot, meant to be resoled by a cobbler, for decades of wear. They were made for comfort. The original market was housewives over the age of 40. They became popular with factory workers, mail carriers, and police officers. People who were on their feet all day. And occasionally chased somebody, or ran from a dog. At this, Dr. Martens AirSole did a fantastic job.

I first started wearing Dr. Martens as a teenager. Walking around campus, taking public transportation, and the occasional fistfight. When riding a motorcycle, as the bike comes to a complete stop, the AirSoles were the best on pavement. This is still why I own a pair of Dr. Martens. And probably why I will always have a pair. The "cheap" leather is easier to clean off, and not something that I would cry over, after thousands of miles of road debris hitting them. A little soap and water will do the trick. The craftsmanship is good enough that the rows of stitching have never burst open. The heat fused welt to sole is genius. I've never had a leak in the rain. Each pair I've owned has lasted over a decade.

Do I compare Dr. Martens to Viberg, Trickers, Alden or some other shoe costing 3 to 5 times as much? No. I know that they are "cheap" shoes. But they are functional shoes.

What shoes compare to Dr. Martens? Sold in the same price range, and offering similar function?

When you make a fair comparison, to mall shoes, Dr. Martens are at the top of that heap. Skechers? Timberland?

1724644078767.png
1724644124034.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve S