Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VoodooSan

Practically Family
I'm sure it is possible, Mark, and I don't doubt it.

I know the barcode was invented and used as early as the 40s and 50s, but I've always thought a hat with such a label was much more modern than the 70s or 80s.

Again, I'm not necessarily questioning the date of the hat, but more my ignorance of such a label.

I know Reggie @Dlaniger has many of these Stetsons with such labels. Hoping he amongst others can enlighten my ignorance.
Me too!

RickP

Familiar Face
My nice mailman dropped off a new box today... I needed a new rugged wear outdoor hat and found a pre owned LLBean / Stetson -Moose River in silverbelly. Its beautifully soft ( definitely not "cowboy hat felt"). Pretty decent condition. Can anyone identify from the pics about its age? Im guessing late 70's early 80s?.

It was a decent cost and I figure it was meant to be as my Chocolate Labs is named Moose lol View attachment 612257 View attachment 612258 View attachment 612259 View attachment 612260 View attachment 612261
Mystery solved... pulled the liner out so I could do some cleaning, and I found a little skinny tag under the sweatband that had a date of 09/06/06 on it. not as old as I thought, but thats fine... I can wear it like I stole it now with no fear of hurting value!!

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Mystery solved... pulled the liner out so I could do some cleaning, and I found a little skinny tag under the sweatband that had a date of 09/06/06 on it. not as old as I thought, but thats fine... I can wear it like I stole it now with no fear of hurting value!!
Can we see a photo of that tag?

RickP

Familiar Face
the date tag (09/13/06) was actually stuck to the felt of the crown under the bigger model tag. Sad note was that I did find a tear in the sweatband that was taped together. Little dissappointed that the sweat is actually a really really thin piece of leather like material laminated on some kind of backing material. Since this was intended as a walk around in the weather hat, Ill use it as- is for a bit, but may just go ahead and cut out the factory sweat and replace it with a nice leather one I had made (Ive got a couple new ones laying around in the parts bin just for times like this). Liner looks good, and felt cleaned up nicely. Have found a couple moth nibbles right on the edge of the brim, so Im thinking this may be just the hat to do a ribbon binding on the edge.... All in all a fun little cheap hat that will let me personalize it a bit
Compress_20240507_181224_4638.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Well, I bought my first hat lemon. I mean, I’ve bought hats in worse condition, but I knew it and paid less for them.

I’m fine with this - everything is in workable order, I just have to put it back together.
Mid-1950s (I think) Stetson Twenty-Five. No, not stripped for parts.

IMG_1593.jpeg

IMG_1594.jpeg

IMG_1595.jpeg

Stars on liner and sweat, but the liner has a mid-50s-esque plastic tip.
IMG_1596.jpeg

IMG_1597.jpeg

Hat box without lid (said so in the fine print of the listing, I just didn’t read it closely enough):
IMG_1598.jpeg

This is about as good of a job as I’ll do getting the pork pie crease out of the crown:
IMG_0500.jpeg

IMG_1600.jpeg

The liner stinks like sweaty sneakers. Can anyone tell me what I can use to clean it?

RickP

Familiar Face
Well, I bought my first hat lemon. I mean, I’ve bought hats in worse condition, but I knew it and paid less for them.

I’m fine with this - everything is in workable order, I just have to put it back together.

View attachment 612791
View attachment 612792
View attachment 612793

View attachment 612794
View attachment 612795

Hat box without lid (said so in the fine print of the listing, I just didn’t read it closely enough):
View attachment 612796

This is about as good of a job as I’ll do getting the pork pie crease out of the crown:
View attachment 612797
View attachment 612798

The liner stinks like sweaty sneakers. Can anyone tell me what I can use to clean it?
Find someone who has a So-Clean CPAP cleaning machine... Its essentially an ozone generator... Drop the liner in the bin and run it though a few cycles

RickP

Familiar Face
Find someone who has a So-Clean CPAP cleaning machine... Its essentially an ozone generator... Drop the liner in the bin and run it though a few cycles
Just make sure to dump the water in the resevoir before running... Its normally a fairly dry cycle even with the water resevoir, but my thinking is that the drier the process the better

Mighty44

One Too Many

View attachment 612791
View attachment 612792
View attachment 612793

View attachment 612794
View attachment 612795

View attachment 612796

View attachment 612797
View attachment 612798

I’ve cleaned liners with Woolite before. Since it’s not a pristine hat, likely not too big a risk. A little work and you’ll be loving this hat. My 25 has become like my best friend.

CRH

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 612791
View attachment 612792
View attachment 612793

View attachment 612794
View attachment 612795

View attachment 612796

View attachment 612797
View attachment 612798

Not a lemon. Stinky hat puzzle? Worth your time and effort to get it back together

View attachment 612791
View attachment 612792
View attachment 612793

View attachment 612794
View attachment 612795

View attachment 612796

View attachment 612797
View attachment 612798

Oh Durn…. Just think of it as you got a 1950s Stetson 25 from IKEA!! After a bit of work I think you’ll be pleased.

IMG_20240509_192136698_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_20240509_191959602_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg

Portis Lite-Wate Breeze-Lux
“Zephyr Band” Crushable - Rollable
Rakish 4 5/8 to 3 3/4 crown as shaped (5 1/2 Open)
2 3/8 Brim with Rolled Underwelt
Taupe Felt with Brown/Taupe Striped Ribbon

This light weight Portis has been languishing on my watch list for some time getting passed over for other targets but I finally pulled the trigger and boy am I glad I didn’t end up passing on this one. It is fairly unique at least to me as I don’t have many other hats with a grosgrain sweatband.. not that I wear much for sure. Portis calls this the “Zephyr Band” and indicates this “Lite-Wate” Breeze-Lux is Crushable and Rollable. The Swans Down Finish felt is a very light grey brown that might be in the taupe family. The 2 3/8 brim is finished with a rolled under welt attempting to approximate the look of a Cavanagh edge when snapped down. It also features a very cool brown and taupe striped grosgrain ribbon and wind trolley. Very well adorned for a lightweight felt and non leather sweatband hat. It is tagged 6 7/8 but fit a bit more snuggly…. however as I suspected it loosened up a bit after pulling it on and wearing around today. The final cool feature is the neato multi sports liner. If I was to guess age in this one… I’m thinking later 50s to early 60s. Though I don’t have much experience with Portis. It also came with a pretty nice Portis Hats box. Really loving this hat for its everyday wearability and the deal on the whole. The green feather though…..

Thanks to @Randall Renshaw for nudging me on this one some time back.

IMG_20240509_191531000_Original.jpeg
IMG_20240509_191543450_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_20240509_191559646_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_20240509_191610937_Original.jpeg
IMG_20240509_191635626 Copy.jpeg
IMG_20240509_191802394 Copy.jpeg
IMG_6541.jpeg
IMG_6543.jpeg

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 612815 View attachment 612816

This light weight Portis has been languishing on my watch list for some time getting passed over for other targets but I finally pulled the trigger and boy am I glad I didn’t end up passing on this one. It is fairly unique at least to me as I don’t have many other hats with a grosgrain sweatband.. not that I wear much for sure. Portis calls this the “Zephyr Band” and indicates this “Lite-Wate” Breeze-Lux is Crushable and Rollable. The Swans Down Finish felt is a very light grey brown that might be in the taupe family. The 2 3/8 brim is finished with a rolled under welt attempting to approximate the look of a Cavanagh edge when snapped down. It also features a very cool brown and taupe striped grosgrain ribbon and wind trolley. Very well adorned for a lightweight felt and non leather sweatband hat. It is tagged 6 7/8 but fit a bit more snuggly…. however as I suspected it loosened up a bit after pulling it on and wearing around today. The final cool feature is the neato multi sports liner. If I was to guess age in this one… I’m thinking later 50s to early 60s. Though I don’t have much experience with Portis. It also came with a pretty nice Portis Hats box. Really loving this hat for its everyday wearability and the deal on the whole. The green feather though…..

View attachment 612817 View attachment 612818 View attachment 612819 View attachment 612820 View attachment 612821 View attachment 612822 View attachment 612823 View attachment 612824
Sweeeet!!
Now a summer pinstripe suit is in order!

Mighty44

One Too Many
View attachment 612815 View attachment 612816

View attachment 612817 View attachment 612818 View attachment 612819 View attachment 612820 View attachment 612821 View attachment 612822 View attachment 612823 View attachment 612824
That’s a beauty, Joe. Nice box, too!

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Thanks Rick, I am not from this area and don’t know a single soul except my family. This machine looks interesting though, I definitely want to learn more about it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff