Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harry Jones

New in Town
It's a Beaver Brand, 2 3/4 in. brim. Steel grey with a charcoal ribbon. Got it from The Man's Hat Shop in Albuquerque, NM. Ordered it by mail and had them put in the teardrop bash and change the original wide ribbon, color that matched the hat, to the present one. I had gotten this hat in brown about six years ago and have really liked it. Center crease bash and different brim shape, with a sharper pinch to the crown. Very good service from this shop by the way, and nice people to deal with. They made the changes I wanted and shipped it within a couple of days. Sorry for the poor picture, but my iphone was all that I had available. The color is a blueish grey with a hint of brown that warms it up a bit. Buying it sight unseen, I wasn't sure, but I liked it as soon as I opened the box.

img0058u.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

One Too Many
Nice hat ¡¡¡¡

Harry Jones said:
It's a Beaver Brand, 2 3/4 in. brim. Steel grey with a charcoal ribbon. Got it from The Man's Hat Shop in Albuquerque, NM. Ordered it by mail and had them put in the teardrop bash and change the original wide ribbon, color that matched the hat, to the present one. I had gotten this hat in brown about six years ago and have really liked it. Center crease bash and different brim shape, with a sharper pinch to the crown. Very good service from this shop by the way, and nice people to deal with. They made the changes I wanted and shipped it within a couple of days. Sorry for the poor picture, but my iphone was all that I had available. The color is a blueish grey with a hint of brown that warms it up a bit. Buying it sight unseen, I wasn't sure, but I liked it as soon as I opened the box.

img0058u.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
This store in New Mexico has a good exhibition hats, really is an exellent shoping center to pick one, enjoy your hat is beautiful.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Mallory Tuxedo Hat

4929958602_cb76cf07d3_b.jpg

4929365973_07ff3b2419_b.jpg

4929958126_1e3a53710e_z.jpg
4929366483_a54fb5d8c0_z.jpg

4929958812_63ae25dbab_z.jpg

Fine Silk on entire underside of brim. The cream-colored sweatband is a hair under 2-1/2" wide. United Hatters of North America stamp puts this between 1926 and 1934. Baskin's in Chicago opened in 1926. Looks like a very square almost flat-topped block c.6" high.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rlk said:
That hat more than any other I've seen on the Lounge here calls to mind the exaggerated class consciousness of American, European, and probably other societies in that day. There was a lot of stratification by class and income, and the rich tried out put great distance between themselves and ordinary people, in part by clothing. Many of the 30s movies are about the wealthy class and what they do. We note the difference in clothing between the classes in 30s movies, which the movies probably portrayed accurately. So that hat looks like it belonged to a 30s rich guy who spent mornings reading about the stock market and afternoons at the race track.

Harry Jones

New in Town
Nice hat! What I was going for. Yours looks softer than mine. What is it? Looks vintage. They put a lot of stiffner on mine, but it will loosen up as I wear it and play with it. I suspect that this hat shop mostly deals with cowboy hats which seem to be expected to be quite stiff.

gtdean48 said:
VERY nice Harry. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Reminds me of....
VSWan7.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
I guess this is the upper limit of formality for a soft hat[huh]

I suppose that's true, and why we haven't seen more than 4 or 5 of them posted here. I wonder if those who wore them were looked down upon as trendy whipper-snappers, looked up to as innovative up-and-comers, or just viewed as guys in a new type of hat.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
4929958602_cb76cf07d3_b.jpg

4929365973_07ff3b2419_b.jpg

4929958126_1e3a53710e_z.jpg
4929366483_a54fb5d8c0_z.jpg

4929958812_63ae25dbab_z.jpg

Fine Silk on entire underside of brim. The cream-colored sweatband is a hair under 2-1/2" wide. United Hatters of North America stamp puts this between 1926 and 1934. Baskin's in Chicago opened in 1926. Looks like a very square almost flat-topped block c.6" high.

RLK, That hat is unreal. Its the classiest hat that ive ever seen. It looks to be in perfect shape too. Like Lefty said, I really wonder why we havent seen more of these kind of hats at the lounge. Do you think maybe it was custom made for someone, or it was a limited edition. Not even top hats had a full silk overlayed brim. Has anyone ever seen advertisments for this kind of "Tuxedo" hat?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Joshbru3 said:
RLK, That hat is unreal. Its the classiest hat that ive ever seen. It looks to be in perfect shape too. Like Lefty said, I really wonder why we havent seen more of these kind of hats at the lounge. Do you think maybe it was custom made for someone, or it was a limited edition. Not even top hats had a full silk overlayed brim. Has anyone ever seen advertisments for this kind of "Tuxedo" hat?
Brad found this one in a 1931 Cavanagh Catalog
TuxedoHat7.jpg

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Joshbru3 said:

Quick correction - Many mid-19th century top hats did have silk/fur on the underside of the brim.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Garrett said:
Quick correction - Many mid-19th century top hats did have silk/fur on the underside of the brim.

My mistake. Ive just never seen a tophat with a full silk underside brim. Most tophats that Ive seen have a bound brim obviously and some wider than others.

Joshbru3 said:
My mistake. Ive just never seen a tophat with a full silk underside brim. Most tophats that Ive seen have a bound brim obviously and some wider than others.

Here is a felt bowler meets tophat (very formal) that has a silk? under side plus bound brim.

4327643883_c3ac2e88db_b.jpg

A tophat from the same company.

hteraphaela1.jpg

Robert, By the way beautiful hat! It is definitely one step away from a top hat regarding formality.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
FitzGerald Special Boston

I don't usually post hats 'cause I don't usually have anything special to show. This one must be special, it says so right on the sweatband.

This FitzGerald Special was on the floor of a vintage women's clothing booth at a multi-dealer shop. I didn't think much of it at first but thought it might be a good St. Patrick's Day hat. When I started looking at it I noticed the sewn-in lining, nice soft non-reeded sweatband and not-wool felt. Since the price was well within my "what the heck" range I decided to buy it even though it hadn't been treated well and I wasn't sure whether I would be able to get it looking good or not. I spent 10 minutes with it so far, not done yet but I'm pretty sure it is going to look good.

Brim is 2 5/8", crown is 4 1/2" at the front, ribbon is about 11/16" wide. And it is green but exactly how green seems to vary with lighting conditions.

This is the only Fitzgerald hat I've seen so I don't know anything about it. Does anybody have info on these?

Fitzgerald1.jpg

Fitzgerald2.jpg

Fitzgerald3.jpg

Fitzgerald4.jpg

Fitzgerald5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe