Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
As a marketing/quality designation, the "Imperial" inhabited the same price point as the "3X" in Stetson's fedora line. So, for example, you can find "Imperials" that were priced at $15 in the late 40's. It appears that, by the early 50's, the "Imperial" had been replaced by the "3X" at that particular price point.

So, as best I can tell, the "3X" designation in Stetson fedoras began sometime in the very early 50's -- and essentially replaced the "Imperial" designation. [That being said, I believe that "Imperial" was re-introduced in more modern Stetsons, as you suggest, Mr. P.]

As always, these opinions are subject to change as we learn more over time...;)

Cheers,
JtL

I have that 3X fedora that is pre-1930 (my guess is 1910-20). I was surprised to find a 3X fedora that old, and guessed that it was older than most of the marketing designations that we're familiar with for fedoras (such as 'Imperial'), other than the 'Special' that apparently was introduced in or around 1905. Maybe 'Imperial' replaced '3X' for fedoras, then was in turn 'replaced' at a point when the 'X' no longer meant much. What's the oldest evidence we have of an 'Imperial' fedora?

I would still like to see some feedback on that 3X fedora as far as thoughts on age or the use of the 3X label on a fedora that old.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
I have that 3X fedora that is pre-1930 (my guess is 1910-20). I was surprised to find a 3X fedora that old, and guessed that it was older than most of the marketing designations that we're familiar with for fedoras (such as 'Imperial'), other than the 'Special' that apparently was introduced in or around 1905. Maybe 'Imperial' replaced '3X' for fedoras, then was in turn 'replaced' at a point when the 'X' no longer meant much. What's the oldest evidence we have of an 'Imperial' fedora?

I would still like to see some feedback on that 3X fedora as far as thoughts on age or the use of the 3X label on a fedora that old.

Scott -- do you have a link to that particular lid? I had remembered that there was an example of an older 3X fedora. My observations were intended to reflect what was going on in the 40's/50's timeframe. ;)

Cheers,
JtL

hatted

One of the Regulars
Yimmy said:
Good morning all! I just wanted to share a secondhand store find that my girlfriend:)D ) made for me this past weekend. It's also my first post. Can anyone tell me more about it? I've searched Portis, and read some interesting things about the company, just don't know much about this specific lid. Have a wonderful day!

784565750_jrxeu-M.jpg

Great hat! What size is it?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
My observations were intended to reflect what was going on in the 40's/50's timeframe. ;)

Cheers,
JtL

I understand - just trying to extend the conversation a bit since we were talking about the 3X and Imperial qualities, and I had additional info that hasn't been discussed in this forum yet - (I take any opportunity I get, since the pre-1940 discussions usually end up being monologues :eusa_doh: )

I'll re-start the thread with the 3X dress fedora, rather than take this further off-topic. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Yimmy

New in Town
It's a 7 3/8. It looks like it had been well taken care of. No liner, but from the glue dots under the sweat band, I suspect it had one. It has a basically teardrop shaped bash. I was very excited to hear she found it. Finding 7 3/8 and larger has been a bit challenging. Makes the search all that much more fun, though!

hatted said:
784565750_jrxeu-M.jpg

Great hat! What size is it?

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Yimmy said:
It's a 7 3/8. It looks like it had been well taken care of. No liner, but from the glue dots under the sweat band, I suspect it had one. It has a basically teardrop shaped bash. I was very excited to hear she found it. Finding 7 3/8 and larger has been a bit challenging. Makes the search all that much more fun, though!
Seems to me that girl's a keeper ;)
(as is the hat!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap )

ChicagoRon

New in Town
Elegant Baseball Caps

I have found that in addition to my collection of beautiful felt fedoras, panama hats, and a newsboy cap--- I really enjoy the quality baseball caps, of Harris Tweed, by good makers. I have one from Wigens, just bought from Delmonico, and an older one by Guerra, both are great looking. They are a bit more casual, and I've gotten compliments from women on them!!

I haven't seen much reference to Baseball style caps on here. The new Wigens cap, called the Lars, costs $80 and has flaps that come down over the ears if necessary. Check them out.

Ron

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Yimmy said:
Good morning all! I just wanted to share a secondhand store find that my girlfriend:)D ) made for me this past weekend. It's also my first post. Can anyone tell me more about it? I've searched Portis, and read some interesting things about the company, just don't know much about this specific lid. Have a wonderful day!

784565750_jrxeu-M.jpg
Welcome to the Lounge, Yimmy! That's a nice-looking lid! Your girlfriend got you a good'un! :eusa_clap

Chinaski

One Too Many
ChicagoRon said:
I have found that in addition to my collection of beautiful felt fedoras, panama hats, and a newsboy cap--- I really enjoy the quality baseball caps, of Harris Tweed, by good makers. I have one from Wigens, just bought from Delmonico, and an older one by Guerra, both are great looking. They are a bit more casual, and I've gotten compliments from women on them!!

I haven't seen much reference to Baseball style caps on here. The new Wigens cap, called the Lars, costs $80 and has flaps that come down over the ears if necessary. Check them out.

Ron

Chicago Ron, welcome to The Lounge! You won't find a lot of baseball style hat admirers here, which is not to say many don't own them. My take is there's room to talk about all hat here, so please post pictures of your tweeds.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This hat came home from Optimo yesterday. It's the last e-bay hat I won, I think. I've had it since September, but when I got it it was too small and it smelled like it had been stored for about a hundred years. I intended to send it to Optimo sooner but got caught up in the Christmas rush and didn't get it to them until after the first of the year. Here it is back at home again, the last of the Whippets that live at my house now.

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0271_2.jpg

Scott Wood

Practically Family
BobC said:
This hat came home from Optimo yesterday. It's the last e-bay hat I won, I think. I've had it since September, but when I got it it was too small and it smelled like it had been stored for about a hundred years. I intended to send it to Optimo sooner but got caught up in the Christmas rush and didn't get it to them until after the first of the year. Here it is back at home again, the last of the Whippets that live at my house now.
Great hat Bob.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I got the call from Optimo this morning and as soon as I pay for them at the end of the week I have three coming to the home roost as well.

billyspew

One Too Many
BobC said:

Wonderful Bob!
Can we see a new group shot of the pound?!

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BobC said:

IMG_0269.jpg

That is a very nice color combo Bob. It looks like Optimo does a great job with hats; I sure hope so because I am expecting my first two clean and block jobs (with new ribbon and sweat in one, I'm afraid) any day now.

Pilot99

Familiar Face
BobC said:

IMG_0269.jpg

Hey, I love the color and style, really fits you perfectly. Optimo hats really are top quality, the store itself is just dangerous lol. I love the feeling of being a kid in a candy store again lol .

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Pilot99 said:
Hey, I love the color and style, really fits you perfectly. Optimo hats really are top quality, the store itself is just dangerous lol. I love the feeling of being a kid in a candy store again lol .

Bob's hat wasn't made by Optimo, just refurbed. It's actually a vintage Stetson Whippet.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
BobC said:
It looks exactly like mine! very nice Bob! Hey, did Graham managed to get rid of the smell?

Pilot99

Familiar Face
Mario said:
Bob's hat wasn't made by Optimo, just refurbed. It's actually a vintage Stetson Whippet.

My bad, I'm still relatively new to fedora's so I misunderstood. Regardless the hat looks great. I appreciate you correcting me, hopefully I'll be better at identifying fedora's in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82