Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
rlk said:
Has unusual horizontal creases front and back. I'm not sure if these were intentional or from compressing the hat. I've seen these on some western hats but not a dress hat.
3968914567_620056b50b_b.jpg

In this example it might be exagerated due to the creases but what you refer to is called reverse taper and it was common during the period when this homburg was made.
I prefer reverse taper to taper in hats. ;) :p

cptjeff

Practically Family
So, recently I bought a hat on e-bay for two bucks ish, plus shipping. The pics were were from a camera phone, and the hat didn't look too special. I knew it was a royal deluxe, so there would be something to work with.

It arrived extremely quickly, and what came out of the box was this:

royalStetson006.jpg

royalStetson004.jpg

royalStetson005.jpg

Velor finish Royal stetson deluxe. Brand new. There are unfortunately a few moth bites, but the overall hat is pristine, the few moth bites are in places that aren't too noticeable.

The tonal braided felt ribbon does not work for me in the slightest, so I'll have to replace that, and change the shape of the crown a little to better accommodate my head since I wear my hats low, but overall it's a sweet find.

Tooch

One of the Regulars
You paid two bucks for that? That's a score.

Velor finish Royal stetson deluxe. Brand new. There are unfortunately a few moth bites, but the overall hat is pristine, the few moth bites are in places that aren't too noticeable.

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
rlk said:
3968791163_74fcda2a07_b.jpg
3969562842_e666f173a8.jpg
3969561654_0bfd3078f8.jpg
3968790719_e56cbcc6ec.jpg
3968789567_48e3a6eec1.jpg
3969518402_84473d582e_o.jpg

As soft as a Fedora and quite narrow brim(2-1/4 if it wasn't curled). Open crown would be a full 6". Crown was bashed in the literal sense and doesn't know what its crease is. The sweatband leather is quite good(2" full) but the thread is fragile and snapping where disturbed. Unreeded with taped seam. Requires a reblock to start fresh on the crown. I gave it something close to what I think the hat was originally(by feel) for the photo. The newspaper under the sweat was 1963 so nowhere near the hats origin.

One of the nicer homburgs I have seen on the lounge...

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Cervo Bantam

3969203393_2b5bafab43_b.jpg
3969974036_80c8aacd87.jpg
3969973772_5cb3603955.jpg
3969974880_a34f8398c2.jpg
3969976090_620a14e7f5.jpg
3970010046_83c366cef6_b.jpg
3969910854_dc29b960b0_o.jpg

Not sure what to do with this crown. Never had a center crease and is moderately stiff. The rolled Homburg-style brim(extra-curvy and without ribbon trim) is stiffer yet.

rlk said:
3969203393_2b5bafab43_b.jpg

Not sure what to do with this crown. Never had a center crease and is moderately stiff. The rolled Homburg-style brim(extra-curvy and without ribbon trim) is stiffer yet.

Wow that is another really interesting one. The gold(?) - black contrast plus the curves / crown. Very unique. What is the story with the box?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I don't know if the hat is similar or not, but the markings on Tony's C&K are pretty close to yours, though the size tag is very different.

That Cervo box is so cool.

rlk said:
As soft as a Fedora and quite narrow brim(2-1/4 if it wasn't curled). Open crown would be a full 6". Crown was bashed in the literal sense and doesn't know what its crease is. The sweatband leather is quite good(2" full) but the thread is fragile and snapping where disturbed. Unreeded with taped seam. Requires a reblock to start fresh on the crown. I gave it something close to what I think the hat was originally(by feel) for the photo. The newspaper under the sweat was 1963 so nowhere near the hats origin.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
mayserwegener said:
Wow that is another really interesting one. The gold(?) - black contrast plus the curves / crown. Very unique. What is the story with the box?
The ribbon,which I believe is Satin, is bright yellow,not gold, less subtle than the photos suggest. The box is a crate with wood framing and cardboard panels stapled on.

rlk said:
The ribbon,which I believe is Satin, is bright yellow,not gold, less subtle than the photos suggest. The box is a crate with wood framing and cardboard panels stapled on.

I am sure there is a interesting story behind it. Great find!

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rlk said:

Very nice sir. My Resistol homburg has a similar short brim, as does my Dobbs.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Cavanagh

With many, many thanks to RLK I present to you my Cavanagh:

It's grey, greenish, black grosgrain ribbon.. Seriously classy proportioned in my opinion.. The felt is resilient: the hat came crushed (unfortunately, no-one to blame but the mail-man who decided that the mail-order television-set could be on top of my hat lol ;) ) and popped back into shape in a wink.. I am, again, a happy man.

billyspew

One Too Many
djgo-cat-go said:

It's grey, greenish, black grosgrain ribbon.. Seriously classy proportioned in my opinion.. The felt is resilient: the hat came crushed (unfortunately, no-one to blame but the mail-man who decided that the mail-order television-set could be on top of my hat lol ;) ) and popped back into shape in a wink.. I am, again, a happy man.

Looks fantastic, congratulations!

billysmom

One Too Many
djgo-cat-go said:

Classic, classic, classic!!!!!!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe