Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
HP: Does that hat tend to get dirty? I am learning so much, and now you have piqued my interest. Taking a western hat and cutting off some brim, getting the edge bound and viola, a good ole fedora.

Now, is this sort of job best left to me after I have worn fedoras, maybe bought and sold some I did not like as much? I think I would look better in that hat in summer than a Panama if it was lightweight felt and stuff. I keep going to other posts and coming back to that. Good job

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Mr. Paladin said:
Here are three of the five new homburgs I have acquired this week:

Royal DeLuxe Stetson St. Regis-This one is superb; mint in every way. My favorite so far...
homburgsAdam003.jpg

As soon as I saw it posted when you first bought it, I knew the St Regis was a stunner. Fantastic hat. :eusa_clap I've got a dark blue black coming in the mail and I hope it looks halfway as good as this one.

As for the Hall & Hall, I can see blue undertones in the picture. Could just be me.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Spats McGee said:
Lots of nice lids here, but I especially like the Fed with the new ribbon & the converted Resistol, High Pockets.

Same here - but especially the new-ribbon Fed - great ribbon choice!

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you everyone for the feedback on those homburgs. I absolutely love the Stetson and the Hall & Hall is not far behind. I like the flat, wider brimmed styles of those two, rather than the shorter, curvy brim style of the Dobbs.

BobC, its color is a light grey, almost lighter than a dove gray. I can't believe my good fortune but being a smaller size pays (less $$$ with wider variety:D ).

Munchausen, the Hall & Hall does show nice blue overtones on the photo but they are hard to see in real life unless the light is right.

Gene, thanks for the props on wearing them. I really enjoy that style of hat!

Jabos

A-List Customer
H.P.: Doggone, I go on vacation and look what happens-you get a zillion new hats. I too like that new ribbon on the Fed IV. Local hatter? We have a local hatter? Very nice hats. I love that Borsalino.

Jabos

A-List Customer
Mr. P-I think you have Homburgmania. Not everyone can pull of a Homburg, but they look great on you. :eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

High Pockets said:
Three,......not one, not two but three hats arrived at my house today!!

This old Resistol "western" (brim narrowed drastically and crown/brim reshaped by me), just came back with a wider ribbon and bound edge:

100_2529.jpg

It was the hat on the right just the other day:
100_2458.jpg

High Pockets, that is some fine hat engineering done on that Resistol! Beautiful!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

Jabos said:
Mr. P-I think you have Homburgmania. Not everyone can pull of a Homburg, but they look great on you. :eusa_clap

Glad you are back posting. Thanks for the comment; homburgs seem to me to be the refined version of the cattleman's creased ORs. Upturned brim all around and stylishly elegant. Both are real "power hats" from the twentieth century; both worn by politicians, industrialists, and royalty (ok, so Edward VII probably didn't wear the OR, but his later Texas counterpart, LBJ did).

Yes sir, homburgmania---I think I like it!

High Pockets said:
This old Resistol "western" (brim narrowed drastically and crown/brim reshaped by me), just came back with a wider ribbon and bound edge:

100_2529.jpg

It was the hat on the right just the other day:
100_2458.jpg
Nice conversion! That needs to go in the Conversion Corral for sure.

Hey Gene, salvaging an unbound western is a WHOLE different story from that slice job you did!!! :D

High Pockets

Practically Family
gtdean48 said:
Nice conversion! That needs to go in the Conversion Corral for sure.

Hey Gene, salvaging an unbound western is a WHOLE different story from that slice job you did!!! :D

lol "slice job"??

I must'a missed that one! What's the scoop Gene? :D

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs Straw

Wow! Much nicer than expected. Its a light brownish toned straw not a filthy dirty Panama(Buntal maybe?). The tiny spot of damage virtually requires a magnifying lens. Super light and well ventilated. Outstanding pug and general proportions and 2" wide thick soft leather sweatband in excellent condition. Not bad for $20.00. It also fits well and the brim behaves.
3866009498_3667b9fe94_b.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Brad and Sue, its great when it works out this well. The Bolo was new(though old) this week also and another bargain that turned out beyond expectations.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82