Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
New to the Borsalino family (as we know it).
Borsalino Farotto in the colour Malva, which means "mauve". It doesn't look mauve to my eye. Overwelt brim with a partial spiral stitch at 7cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. I call it a spiral stitch, but it's not really a spiral but separate closed ovals, which stop hafway down the brim from the edge.
The model name Farotto is a new one. The name actually means something: it's a dish similar to risotto, but made with "farro" (spelled grain). Both model name and the size are written on the label. What is missing on the label is the number that we always find in the upper left corner. First time I've seen that. The hat has a bit of a womens' hat styling about it, with the light coloured ribbon. The flange on it when it arrived was quite extreme with a sharp upturned brim at the back, wrapping around the crown. Still needs a bit of work, but it's wearable already. I'm thinking forties on this one. Weighs 113 grams.

View attachment 378580 View attachment 378581 View attachment 378582 View attachment 378583 View attachment 378584 View attachment 378585 View attachment 378586 View attachment 378587 View attachment 378588 View attachment 378589

Wonderful find, Stefan. Great looking ribbon. Not feminine at all. In fact, it makes me think of Chicago mobsters of the 30s :)

Snowman

Practically Family
New to the Borsalino family (as we know it).
Borsalino Farotto in the colour Malva, which means "mauve". It doesn't look mauve to my eye. Overwelt brim with a partial spiral stitch at 7cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. I call it a spiral stitch, but it's not really a spiral but separate closed ovals, which stop hafway down the brim from the edge.
The model name Farotto is a new one. The name actually means something: it's a dish similar to risotto, but made with "farro" (spelled grain). Both model name and the size are written on the label. What is missing on the label is the number that we always find in the upper left corner. First time I've seen that. The hat has a bit of a womens' hat styling about it, with the light coloured ribbon. The flange on it when it arrived was quite extreme with a sharp upturned brim at the back, wrapping around the crown. Still needs a bit of work, but it's wearable already. I'm thinking forties on this one. Weighs 113 grams.

View attachment 378580 View attachment 378581 View attachment 378582 View attachment 378583 View attachment 378584 View attachment 378585 View attachment 378586 View attachment 378587 View attachment 378588 View attachment 378589
Beautiful hat!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
It was bought for my personal collection even though it has a few rare moth bites that are not seen.
druga-2-jpg.378792
I was fascinated by the color and its condition. The size was 6, therefore a 59cm which when it arrived turned out to be a perfect 58.
druga-5-jpg.378793

Borsalino Qualità Extra Superiore nominally size 6 or 7 3/8 but in reality a 58 or 7 1/4.

Very well maintained it has a particularity, there is the "Qualità Ssuperiore" mold on the front of the sweatband
druga-7-jpg.378802

The felt color is "Druga" and the hatband is matching the felt. This is finished with a light fur and is very soft.
druga-8-jpg.378803

The measurements are as follows: the brims, over-sewn are at 5.5 cm. and the ribbon is 3.5cm high, the crown at its minimum height is 10cm.
druga-9-jpg.378804

Very well proportioned is a classic Eighties Borsalino with a rare color and real elegant

I failed to post these when they came a couple of weeks ago.

Three hat lot that I bought mainly to get the Akubra, but I like the Dobbs quite a bit, and the Bond is a really good quality hat...
Three words: nice, cool, and wow. I'm not a big fan of black hats, but that Fed IV looks like it's in good condition and I might be tempted myself. The Dobbs is nice as well, and has some great character. If it were mine I might clean up the brim shape just to relieve a bit of my OCD, but I really like the crown as-is. And the Bond--now that I'm a fan of stingy brimmed hats, it just checks all the right boxes. If it were mine it would probably get a lot of head time. Nice haul!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
For a hat that is too small there is one that is too large and this too had to be my size.
The result of an exchange with my friend Stefan, it turned out to be too wide for my head despite being a 6 1/2 or 60 cm.
Super Panizza Fantasia 6.jpg
It passed through the talented hands of Fleur and I asked her to change the original "fantasy" ribbon that seemed too fancy to me.
Super Panizza Fantasia 3.jpg

I asked for a hatband to match the very particular color of the felt which is indefinable, but heather enough to make it very interesting.
Super Panizza Fantasia 5.jpg

Super Panizza size 60 cm or 7 1/2 in the USA.
Super Panizza Fantasia interno totale.jpg
The felt is defined as M 4, which stands for "Misto 4" and the ribbon was called "fantasy" to stay on the subject.
Super Panizza Fantasia 1.jpg

Very nice felt and malleable.
Super Panizza Fantasia 2.jpg

The proportions of this Super Panizza are as follows: the brims are at 5.5 centimeters, the (new) ribbon is 3.5 cm high. and the crown at its lowest point is 10.5cm.
Super Panizza Fantasia interno parziale.jpg
This Super Panizza is recommended for all those who have a real size 60 or 7/2, to my detriment

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
For a hat that is too small there is one that is too large and this too had to be my size.
The result of an exchange with my friend Stefan, it turned out to be too wide for my head despite being a 6 1/2 or 60 cm.
View attachment 378856 It passed through the talented hands of Fleur and I asked her to change the original "fantasy" ribbon that seemed too fancy to me.
View attachment 378857
I asked for a hatband to match the very particular color of the felt which is indefinable, but heather enough to make it very interesting.
View attachment 378858
View attachment 378859
The felt is defined as M 4, which stands for "Misto 4" and the ribbon was called "fantasy" to stay on the subject.
View attachment 378860
View attachment 378861
The proportions of this Super Panizza are as follows: the brims are at 5.5 centimeters, the (new) ribbon is 3.5 cm high. and the crown at its lowest point is 10.5cm.
View attachment 378862
This Super Panizza is recommended for all those who have a real size 60 or 7/2, to my detriment

Looks like a super Panizza indeed, Daniele.

Lee Hats - White Label - Gay Prince styling

20E5071A-1C48-4A6A-A816-5625D8BE4C9E.jpeg

Very light silver felt with Velvet texture finish
5 inch crown with center dent (about 5 1/2 open)
2 5/8 brim with GP inspired slash/dash binding
7/8 self felted band with matching slash/dash pattern

This is the bell of the ball of the three hats to arrive yesterday. While the other two might not be too much to write home about, this one steals the show. I believe this my first Lee White label and I have never come across a Lee with this type of styling. I do own two Dobbs Gay Prince hats which this Lee is modeled after, which makes a great point of reference for me. As many brands did make their own attempt to copy the GP styling it does not surprise me that Lee made this offering. What does surprise me is how much they got right! First they chose to go with an alternating whip stitch and saddle stitch for the edge biding creating an appealing slash dash pattern a sort of GP upgrade. However beyond the visual aspect of the brim binding and self felted band. Lee went above and beyond with the felt finish. The GP hats generally have a very thin extremely short hair velvety finish. A quality of felt I haven’t really come across on too many other hats. Lee came VERY close here. Especially with what I am assuming a mid to late 50s hat. (Which I am basing on the later Lee logo… not sure when the change was made). Probably not same felt as my 40s GP but very similar to my 50s. The moths seem to agree as there are quite a number of small moth divots and tracks along the top of the brim but they really do not take away from the beauty of this hat. The color is an absolutely beautiful very light silver. The original price tag had this one retailing at $15. It came in a very cool Lee hats box. I’m really enjoying this rare unusual treasure. Thanks to Bob for the heads up on this one.

044DB32D-4CA8-49B2-B991-41719DEFB042.jpeg
01684E63-0475-4CD7-A35E-577F0A67B0DE.jpeg
E9A8CB57-3F5D-4E37-82FD-469F6605BA40.jpeg
14DBC6FC-3E93-4B5D-8FC4-A8833D0B09B9.jpeg
0960852C-5D5A-4ECC-96BE-84896CB3A1BC.jpeg
90F549C5-0A9D-4FE8-8DAD-F94FA831F670.jpeg
4B5920F1-585B-44E5-B9CA-2216125D73E2.jpeg
CFC68081-E7F8-41CD-B1B8-33A9F369D8C6.jpeg
422804D6-1BE9-4764-A58A-2663EE004F0D.jpeg

PanosChris

Practically Family

View attachment 378873

This is the bell of the ball of the three hats to arrive yesterday. While the other two might not be too much to write home about, this one steals the show. I believe this my first Lee White label and I have never come across a Lee with this type of styling. I do own two Dobbs Gay Prince hats which this Lee is modeled after, which makes a great point of reference for me. As many brands did make their own attempt to copy the GP styling it does not surprise me that Lee made this offering. What does surprise me is how much they got right! First they chose to go with an alternating whip stitch and saddle stitch for the edge biding creating an appealing slash dash pattern a sort of GP upgrade. However beyond the visual aspect of the brim binding and self felted band. Lee went above and beyond with the felt finish. The GP hats generally have a very thin extremely short hair velvety finish. A quality of felt I haven’t really come across on too many other hats. Lee came VERY close here. Especially with what I am assuming a mid to late 50s hat. (Which I am basing on the later Lee logo… not sure when the change was made). Probably not same felt as my 40s GP but very similar to my 50s. The moths seem to agree as there are quite a number of small moth divots and tracks along the top of the brim but they really do not take away from the beauty of this hat. The color is an absolutely beautiful very light silver. The original price tag had this one retailing at $15. It came in a very cool Lee hats box. I’m really enjoying this rare unusual treasure. Thanks to Bob for the heads up on this one.

View attachment 378874 View attachment 378875 View attachment 378876 View attachment 378877 View attachment 378878 View attachment 378879 View attachment 378880 View attachment 378881 View attachment 378882
Very cool get Joe, congrats!

Snowman

Practically Family
Three words: nice, cool, and wow. I'm not a big fan of black hats, but that Fed IV looks like it's in good condition and I might be tempted myself. The Dobbs is nice as well, and has some great character. If it were mine I might clean up the brim shape just to relieve a bit of my OCD, but I really like the crown as-is. And the Bond--now that I'm a fan of stingy brimmed hats, it just checks all the right boxes. If it were mine it would probably get a lot of head time. Nice haul!

Thanks, Al. I would have preferred a brown Fed IV, but this one is in like-new condition so it was a no brainer. I have a touch of the OCD as well, so I am still working on the brim on the Dobbs. It’s shantung, but it’s a softer, more pliable shantung than I’m used to. As for the Bond, I was surprised at the quality, and it is mint. For me, though, the 1 5/8 is just a bit too stingy. It’s too bad, because it is a really well made hat.

Snowman

Practically Family
View attachment 378856 It passed through the talented hands of Fleur and I asked her to change the original "fantasy" ribbon that seemed too fancy to me.
View attachment 378857
View attachment 378858
View attachment 378859
View attachment 378860
View attachment 378861
View attachment 378862

Very unusual and attractive color. The ribbon is a perfect complement.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Great hat, Joe.

View attachment 378873

View attachment 378874 View attachment 378875 View attachment 378876 View attachment 378877 View attachment 378878 View attachment 378879 View attachment 378880 View attachment 378881 View attachment 378882

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 378873

Nice find, Joe. Wonderful colour. The stitches on the ribbon and brim are very eye catching indeed.

View attachment 378873

Love the style and it looks pristine! That’s a great addition to your collection, Joe.

Love the style and it looks pristine! That’s a great addition to your collection, Joe.
Thank you Brent. Really happy with this one. The self felt ribbon style hats have grown on me. This particular stitching pattern to my eye comes off a bit more subtle than the straight whip stich design. A fair amount of mothing on the brim... But yes it appears hardly worn if at all.

Pellie

One Too Many
My stingy Panizza came in. Indeed a stingy, but the felt feels pretty soft, so it's not a bad hat at all, but for me not a keeper.

Attachments

• 20211116_181716.jpg
    20211116_181716.jpg
    657.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 20211116_181725.jpg
    20211116_181725.jpg
    878.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 20211116_181751.jpg
    20211116_181751.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 186
  • 20211116_181821.jpg
    20211116_181821.jpg