Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tom78

New in Town
tom78 said:
Back right (grey) and front left (navy). Both Christy Knightsbridge from Hornet Hats.

hats012.jpg

hats015.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
FurFeltFedora said:
Thanks JT, just wish I didn't photograph like a maniac though :)

That's a real beauty - carbon grey is such a great color, but I can't photograph it for anything.

RBH

Bartender
BobC said:
My natural milan finally showed up from Miller Hats today. The brim needs a little work, and it's stiff as a board. I ordered an extra burgundy pug for it thinking I would get a plain brown one on the hat, but the one that came on the hat looks pretty darn good.

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg
I like it Bob.. of course I have one just like it! :D
But with a thin ribbon... the stiffness does not bother me... after a little crown and brim work on mine it has 'loosened' up a bit.
{ I raised the front pinch and tightened it and also worked on making the brim like I wanted]
I wore mine this afternoon... no pictures.

JPMcAdara

Familiar Face
New VS Hat

I already posted this on the Art Fawcett Hall Of Fame, but I just could not resist posting it here as well!!

As alway, a stunning ribbon. This one is navy blue and silver;
100_0627.jpg

And proudly displayed;
100_0650.jpg

The color is Silverbelly and it has a 5 and 1/2 inch open crown and 2 and 1/2 inch brim. I am very pleased with it!! :D :D :D

JP

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I got this one in today.

The felt is unlike the two other Stetson #1 quality hats I own.
They are both heavy weight, rugged felts. This one is thin, like a dress hat, with fine, dense felt, and a smooth finish. It has a decent amount of stiffener in it.

The sweatbands on the two other hats match the felt, in that they are thick, durable leather. This one has an incredibly thin sweatband, thinner than most fedoras. The leather is still very soft, but it has a split in the front, and a large burn mark on the side. I wonder how they managed to burn through the sweatband the way they did without harming the felt?

Sold by the Army Store of Vinita, Oklahoma.

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

billyspew

One Too Many
Nice colour in that No.1 Dman
JPMcA - Great VS, the colour really works for you.

I have two today.

First a Bluegrass Green Camp Draft - this really is a deep dark green - really hard to shoot.
3596085602_2ca5566a3a_m.jpg
3596085332_8038e5849f_m.jpg
3596085862_9be27d7ae9_m.jpg

Second is another Adam - This one has Sundial under the sweat - model name? It's a really nice light green (colour's most like the 4th picture), and has a very interesting brim treatment with a very thin binding and an extra row of stitching. Thanks alot Razzman.
3595267139_195dc92ee1_m.jpg
3595268291_cd2b5059e8_m.jpg
3595269577_a1a3800898_m.jpg

3595273335_5f52ed9614.jpg

3596078854_52ea456e0a.jpg

TTFN,

Bill

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice JPMc; beautiful ribbon treatment and style.

Billy, those are both nice hats. That Adam, in particular, is interesting with the binding and stitching.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Akubra Federation IV in Black

Okay so I've finally got around to posting the last of my Fed IVs. I've got all 5 colours now and Black is the last one to post. Also really tough to shoot. The black in conjunction with the felt makes it eat light. I mean this thing is really black. Black black. So black I think it's eating time cause my watch keeps losing time when I wear the hat. Like so black Hotblack Desiato would wear this hat. I guess I'm saying it's very black. Oh yeah, it shows every spec of dust or hair under the flashes, it's not so bad under regular lights.

3554628021_263304c181_b.jpg

3555437756_5f52daa89e_b.jpg

3555435174_637c1ab35e_b.jpg

This time I was in a mood when I did the self-portrait - long day at the office :)

3596555580_14d8d3d6db.jpg

Cross posted in the "Akubra Overload" thread.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Paid too much...

But couldn't leave this one in the antique mall. Aside from the reed greening a little and some soiling on the liner it was in great shape. It was the cool accordian-like inside brim where it meets the crown that hooked me. Its a Dunlap Superior straw, size 7 1/2.

Originally $3, marked down to $2.50 at the Milwaukee Boston Store. Also has a patent tag (for the COMFIT hat?). Big light colored sweat with rolled edge. Found a reference to a COMFIT straw hat by Knox in a 1926 ad.

B

dunlap_straw_1.jpg

dunlap_straw_2.jpg

dunlap_straw_3.jpg

dunlap_straw_10.jpg

dunlap_straw_5.jpg

dunlap_straw_6.jpg

dunlap_straw_7.jpg

billyspew

One Too Many
FurFeltFedora said:
Okay so I've finally got around to posting the last of my Fed IVs. I've got all 5 colours now and Black is the last one to post. Also really tough to shoot. The black in conjunction with the felt makes it eat light. I mean this thing is really black. Black black. So black I think it's eating time cause my watch keeps losing time when I wear the hat. Like so black Hotblack Desiato would wear this hat. I guess I'm saying it's very black. Oh yeah, it shows every spec of dust or hair under the flashes, it's not so bad under regular lights.

FFF, I love the way you crease these!

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Thanks Billy. I wanted a Maltese falcon look and it just sort of evolved from there. It's not really hard to do either. I start by making the hat a long oval by sticking a smoothed dowel against the sweatband to make it a little oval and then steam the hat until the dowel almost falls out. Then I let it cool until it holds the oval. From there I steam the top of the crown and roll the sides down until I get the heights and tugboat look I want. Pop the center dent up loosely and then put in a loose high pinch. Check that it's centered with my nose and start putting in that hard center crease and the pushing the side dents further back and up to create a slight triangular look. And hey presto crease :) That being said, I've done 6 Feds like this (5 for me, 1 for my girlfriend) and each one came out a little different.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
billyspew said:

Second is another Adam - This one has Sundial under the sweat - model name? It's a really nice light green (colour's most like the 4th picture), and has a very interesting brim treatment with a very thin binding and an extra row of stitching. Thanks alot Razzman.
Bill

Bill - I love that Adam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld