Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Garrett said:
CB, great photos! It screams "Capone" to me.....don't take that the wrong way ;)

THAT's what I thought.

Hey Rusty, Cigarband might just be giving Warbird a run for his money in the you-know-who department. :D

==========

Cig', that Portis looks wonderful on you!

buler

I'll Lock Up
I'm back...

Dinerman said:
Wow. Those are incredible. Old, too. '20s or early '30s from the look of the sweatband.

I'm sure Lefty is out of popcorn by now. Anyways, here are the hats that I posted the teaser on earlier.

Hat #1 - No Name Size 7 Oatmeal color

Not quite as long/course hair as the other two and a medium-thin ribbon. Interesting triple stitch treatment on brim. Duplicate tag says "ta????y". No liner, no crown stamp. Very thin leather sweat with "Olson & Darelius Lake at Nicollet". Thats it.

no_name_2.jpg

no_name_3.jpg

no_name_4.jpg

no_name_1.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Hat #2: Mallory - no model name

Size 7. Excellent deep green color. 2" sweat with marking "Carl F. Blakeman Minneapolis". Stitched overwelt brim.

mallory_long_1.jpg

mallory_long_2.jpg

mallory_long_4.jpg

mallory_long_5.jpg

mallory_long-3.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Last but not least....

Hat #3 American HatCo Medalist

Size 7 1/8 (yippee my size!)

Terrific deep brown w/grey course felt. Straight trimmed brim. Embossed hatco logo. Retailer stamp on sweat "New Haven Mens Shop Minneapolis". $5.00 price tag.

hatco_1.jpg

hatco_2.jpg

hatco_4.jpg

hatco_5.jpg

hatco_7.jpg

hatco_6.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I like 'em all, but they're so tiny.
th_fedora.gif

Some friends came over to see your photos.

They brought popcorn.

th_lurker1.gif
th_lurker1.gif
th_lurker1.gif
th_lurker1.gif
th_lurker1.gif
th_lurker1.gif
th_lurker1.gif
th_lurker1.gif
th_lurker1.gif

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
buler said:
Hat #3 American HatCo Medalist

Size 7 1/8 (yippee my size!)

Terrific deep brown w/grey course felt. Straight trimmed brim. Embossed hatco logo. Retailer stamp on sweat "New Haven Mens Shop Minneapolis". $5.00 price tag.

hatco_2.jpg

That is a tremendous hat!

Scott <=== loves to slap backs and loves to get his slapped

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Hat #1 is definitely pre-1934, #2 is post-1934. #3 looks late-'20s/early-'30s, as Dinerman said. American Hat Co. in Norwalk unionized in 1937, so if there is no indication of label there, that's probably a sign it dates prior to that year.

What a find!

Brad

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
buler said:
Hat #2: Mallory - no model name
Man, what a haul. It's rare enough to see one hat of
that vintage, let alone three, each with its own unique
felt, unlike any I've seen before.

Love to see the Mallory liner logo, if you get the chance. :eusa_clap

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Makes me wonder about the Gent that collected them in the first place. I'm glad they went to a good home instead of a High School production of "Our Town".

feltfan said:
Man, what a haul. It's rare enough to see one hat of
that vintage, let alone three, each with its own unique
felt, unlike any I've seen before.

Love to see the Mallory liner logo, if you get the chance. :eusa_clap

buler

I'll Lock Up
The long hairs....

"Hat #1 is definitely pre-1934, #2 is post-1934. #3 looks late-'20s/early-'30s, as Dinerman said. American Hat Co. in Norwalk unionized in 1937, so if there is no indication of label there, that's probably a sign it dates prior to that year.

What a find! "

Brad - Thanks for the dating. I had never seen felt like that before and based on the sweats and logos figured they were quite old.

"Love to see the Mallory liner logo, if you get the chance."

Feltfan - Sorry, it was late when I got home and posted this. I added the Mallory liner pic to its thread. Don't know if I've seen that liner before.

"Makes me wonder about the Gent that collected them in the first place. I'm glad they went to a good home instead of a High School production of "Our Town"."

ST. Ignatz - From the condition they are in I figured the owner (would guess they all came from the same guy) took care of them. Even though some were 7's and I knew wouldn't fit me I couldn't leave them on the shelf. I also got a 4th hat, a Mallory (nokabout style), no liner, stamp on crown. I'll post that one later. It appeared to be a newer hat and has some mothing but I felt it needed to be "rescued".

Is there an appropriate thread I should add those hats too?

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth